Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
john479 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Running 2 stroke engine with slightly worn crank bearing?

I got a 1981 TS250ER a couple of weeks ago. I took it for a run and somehow air got into the oil feed to the bottom end and so now the flywheel side has a very small amount of play in it. From a certain RPM up there is a vibration noise. Performance is still fine and there is an oil feed to it now working normally.
I have an enduro coming up and have no time for a rebuild before it, as it needs a rebuild I will by no means be racing, just tootling along and taking it easy. The race is only for 2 hours split into 2 1 hour sessions. Would it be safe to ride it like this? I don't really want to lose my entry money but certainly don't want a major problem caused from running. Thanks very much
john479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by john479 View Post
I got a 1981 TS250ER a couple of weeks ago. I took it for a run and somehow air got into the oil feed to the bottom end and so now the flywheel side has a very small amount of play in it. From a certain RPM up there is a vibration noise. Performance is still fine and there is an oil feed to it now working normally.
I have an enduro coming up and have no time for a rebuild before it, as it needs a rebuild I will by no means be racing, just tootling along and taking it easy. The race is only for 2 hours split into 2 1 hour sessions. Would it be safe to ride it like this? I don't really want to lose my entry money but certainly don't want a major problem caused from running. Thanks very much

No
Old 10-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides View Post
No
What he said...

If you really have to ride the event, take a good tow rope...you'll probably need it to finish the first hour.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,871
Loose crank means the seals will leak, sucking in air & grit.
When strokers suck air at the crankcase... they lean out, leading to seizure.

GADS! they run fast as they lean out... N-Joy!
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
I don't think a small amount of play is a big deal. I have run Spanish two strokes so loose the flywheel rubbed the cases! Do the race then rebuild it. What the worst that could happen?

Dave
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
boom

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
You could probably thrash that thing for another 20 years without a noticeable change.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
mikeyam187
n00b

Oddometer: 4
It could throw the rod thru the case and you would have a much bigger bill to fix it then!
mikeyam187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,109
depending on how noisy it is i'd probably run it. which bearing is it that's bad? if it's not the rod bearing, it'll probaly run for a while.... either way you're gonna split it to fix it. now or later...
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
john479 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Thanks everyone.

I didn't run the event although it could have done it easily as a rode it a bit after and nothing went wrong. After splitting the case I found that the crank bearing journel is worn on the flywheel side. Not caused by me as it's been vibrating since I first started it after I got the bike.

As a temporary fix I've used some loctite retaining compound to take up the gap between the bearing and the journel and so far it seems to be working. Am on the look out for a replacement crankshaft though for it to be as good as new.

Thanks again,

John
john479 is offline   Reply With Quote