User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #4921
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Another 30 sec

vid... I mention the time, 'cause my videos don't have a reliable time stamp, so this way I can place them among the photos in the correct sequence.

A couple minutes later we stopped for our morning break to snack and de-fleece.

Once it's wheels rolling in the morning, we stop only for a few minutes at a time... usually keeping helmets on. We'd been riding for almost 3h at this point. No lunch most days... we push pretty hard, but at a relaxed pace. We make our miles by moving early and moving often.

Questor in particular is used to a luxurious full breakfast. I took this opportunity to check our tire pressure. LDF & I were both suffering from really squirrely handling. I'd inflated our tires using Q's compressor and the attached gauge which for whatever reason I misread or it wasn't calibrated, but while I was aiming for 30psi front, and 40psi rear (I know, high... I just wanted to see if I could tell the difference), what I measured in the field with my gauge was 40psi front, and 45(!)psi rear.

I aired down to our usual 25psi front and 32psi rear,

Orange Monkey innatree and Orange bike not innatree.

(the niece is coming to visit this weekend and we're gonna have to give back the monkey)
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #4922
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hartley canyon

was up next, and it was an equally perfect dual sport road. It was noteworthy for the amount of downed trees:

I thought for sure we would be turned around,

but either someone had been through and cleared the way, or we were just damned lucky.

I was actually quite impressed at how big a difference airing down the tires made. I'm always skeptical when people make these exaggerated claims for instance that they can tell the difference between a rear D606 and an MT21 tire, , but this was not subtle. Even Francine could tell the difference.

Anyone want to guess how many flat tires we suffered between the 3 of us?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #4923
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

Our re-route go-around required a few miles of pavement, which were super cool as we entered Garden Creek Gap:

I think Dave or Q said they took some photos in there, I unfortunately didn't.
No photos but I do have this video (no audio)

DRRambler screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 04:59 PM
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #4924
dustyrider
dirt is just better

Oddometer: 110
Guessing flats

None?
dustyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #4925
KI6HNB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I just tried to buy some anti hassle tassles on amazon but all I came up with is this shirt.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #4926
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Before sitting down

to update the RR, I scanned through the latest chatter on the NYC commuter's thread. Gutpunch. I learned that a fellow NYC ADV rider, Eddie Gallagher died while riding solo on the Trans Lab highway. He was on a trip, no, an Adventure that he had been planning and looking forward to for awhile.

(he's there on the left -- photo poached from vfr870)

At the ADVentureLoft™ last winter:

Ed was a gentle soul. I remember him as quiet and generous, with an easy smile and a twinkle in his eye. While part of me suspects that everyone harbors inner demons, Eddie seemed truly content.

No doubt, it is a tragedy for someone to die young (he was 32) while still physically active and possessing all their mental faculties. But at the same time, every day I witness up close how age and illness destroy people incrementally, where death becomes the only way that the inevitable and tremendous suffering can end. Death, or immortality. But based on my personal experience, nobody lives forever.

I know that these trips we ADV'ers take hold dangers. But so does crossing the street. Want safe? Stay home. In bed. At that point you might as well already be in a box underground. The risks are calculated as best we can, and we take as many precautions as are reasonable, but the risk will never be zero. And every time I do the math for the big risk:benefit equation, I keep coming up with the same answer... It's TOTALLY worth it.

Let the record state: If I go down for good on one of these trips, do not mourn. Divvy up my gear, then celebrate my good fortune to have had the opportunity to exit while on top, clear eyed, fully engaged, and enjoying the heck out of life.

Ed's last post on his planning thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV NY View Post
Thank you to everyone for the insight and support. Once the trip is done I will post the ride report. I am just taking things as they come, once home I will reflect back on the trip and write up a report.
Eddie, I salute you brother. You will be missed.

... on with the RR

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-19-2012 at 10:12 AM
Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #4927
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 819
^ Well said Doc; well said.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #4928
onepm1978
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Made it

I have been reading for weeks to catch up. Love the adventure and thanks for sharing
onepm1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #4929
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStrom View Post
No photos but I do have this video (no audio)
Perfect!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
None?
Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI6HNB View Post
I just tried to buy some anti hassle tassles on amazon but all I came up with is this shirt.
Fail! Try these. Instead of wrapping them around the lever, they attach nicely to the side of the bark-busters. Just be careful to allow clearance for the throttle to turn freely. AlbertaStrom can assist if necessary. Eventually, you will be able to purchase them from our sponsors here.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #4930
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
morning reflection

+2, couldn't have said it better....mother nature is our church, school and cemetery...
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #4931
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The trail eased up

as we dropped down out of Hartley canyon

towards the Sublett reservoir.

then it was back into the dusty and dry,

we crossed I-84 at Big Canyon, and headed towards the next range:

Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #4932
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I saw this sign

and thought it was funny. I had no idea what the City of Rocks was.

I thought it was an actual town. No clue. Anyway, we needed gas, and Almo was where we were headed. We passed by the town, and had to ask a guy for directions. He had a cruiser with tassels on the bars in front of his house. Of course, we had to chat tassels for a good spell, until I finally said "giddy up!"

Being sunday, the general store / gas station was closed.

But... the gas pumps were open! , and this was around the corner:

So double-happiness... we filled up with water too. It was snack time, and seeing as we had cell signal and it was mother's day, Q called his mommy to tell her congratulations for having such a great son. I think LDF & Dave called home as well.

It was hot even in the shade, so we saddled up, and headed towards the City of Rocks.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #4933
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

City of Rocks

What a cool place! It was too early in the day to stop and camp, but too bad, 'cause I think we could have had fun and taken some nice pitchers.

I know, I was kind of making fun of the city of rocks, but as we got deeper into it, I admit, it was really cool looking.

Check out the Morning Glory Spire (and snicker at the "Crack of Doom") in the photo below:

Now look at the top of the Morning Glory Spire in real life:

Here, I'll zoom in:

Nuts! right?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #4934
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This one

was called the "Breadloaf" rock:

The City of Rocks isn't that big of a metropolis, kind of like Boston, or San Francisco. It wasn't long before we were headed towards the next range:

Up Birch Creek rd, to Oakley where we'd gas up again for the next stretch, a 60mile run up and over Monument Pass, the highest point of the T2 route.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #4935
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Historic Oakley

was a total bust. Not a soul in town.

It was getting late in the day, and we were hoping to pick up some vittles for dinner, but everything (which wasn't much) was closed down good.

All we could do was saddle up, and head out of town. We passed by the Oakley reservoir, which is where everyone seemed to be with their fishin' poles and ATV's and pickups and trailers.