Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #76
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 963
I just rode 5,400 miles in 11 days in these boots. They arrived on Wednesday evening, I tried them on to make sure they fit, took them off to sleep, then wore them every waking moment for the next 11 days. I literally lived in them. I rode, I hiked, I ate.......seriously, the only time they weren't on my feet I was either in bed or the shower.

These boots flat-out rock. They're absolutely waterproof, and kept me comfortable in weather from the low 40s to over 105. They offer plenty of support when standing on the pegs. They don't create any weird pressure points. They go on and off easily.

The only criticisms I can offer are that the buckles are a little fiddly and an extra piece of leather for the shifter would be nice.

Atomic Moto was a pleasure to deal with, and I'd buy from them again.

'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #77
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post

The only criticisms I can offer are that the buckles are a little fiddly and an extra piece of leather for the shifter would be nice.
That is my only criticism as well. The buckles have nothing to keep them positively in the same notches, so each time I put them on, there is some adjustment req'd to get them properly tensioned. I'd prefer to set it and forget it.

I never thought I'd find riding boots this comfortable.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #78
brainfreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Dry tech or Gortex hot Summer riding

I really like the Balanced oils as well. Also looking at the TCX Infinity with Gore Tex liner but there are no dealers in my area in Texas to look at pair. Anyone know if the Infinity with Goretex will be cooler than the Balanced oil with Drytech?? Or, are all boots of this type about the same in the heat?
brainfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #79
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,789
Thumb Heat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfreeze View Post
I really like the Balanced oils as well. Also looking at the TCX Infinity with Gore Tex liner but there are no dealers in my area in Texas to look at pair. Anyone know if the Infinity with Goretex will be cooler than the Balanced oil with Drytech?? Or, are all boots of this type about the same in the heat?

I live in South Texas - Corpus Christi to be exact - and I wear my Gaerne Oiled Balance boots on every single ride now, and that's almost every single day. As you know it's been ***HOT*** down here lately (we hit a record 105 the other day, and inland on a ride I saw 107), and my feet have as cool as cucumber. No problems.

In fact, I'd almost be willing to swear the Oiled Balance boots are actually cooler to wear than the AXO and Vendramini *VENTED* mesh boots I used to wear in the summer months. Those boots have remained on the shelf since I got the Gaerne boots, as have the Kochmann boots and any other brand I've collected over the decades of riding. I haven't done winter with the Gaerne boots yet but no doubt in cold weather they'll be better than anything else I've got.

Don't ask me why they're cooler, but wear 'em with a pair of UnderArmour Heatgear socks and you'll be comfy as is possible even in scorching temperatures.

Just my two centavos... YMMV, of course.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward

Dallara screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 06:38 PM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #80
brainfreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Heat and Gaerne Balanced Oils

Thanks for reply. They just seemed warm when I tried the on but were "broken in " comfortable. Want an all weather boot, not just a cool weather boot. Sounds like they work fine in our Texas weather.
brainfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #81
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
I wore my oiled on a 3-1/2 hour ride yesterday. Wasn't Texas hot, around 90 deg F, and the best comment I can offer is that I never once thought about my feet in my Gaerne Balanced boots.

Over-calf socks are a must though, else calves get sticky. I like Fox Racing Coolmax socks underneath.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #82
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,109
Gaerne Balance Oiled Dual Sport Boots

The boots are absolutely awesome. I'm diabetic. As such I really take care of my feet. It's important that shoes and boots fit without binding, pinching or over tightness. Sizing is spot on in these boots. I wear a size 9 US/43 Euro. They were dead on. The toe box is big enough so your toes aren't all scrunched up.

Putting these boots on for the first time yesterday was as if I had worn them for a dozen trips. In a word they are comfy. The build quality is outstanding with large leather cuts that allow the manufacturer to keep seams to a minimum making them more comfortable. They are oiled leather with a waterproof and breathable lining. They have outstanding ankle support and don't bind at the top of the boot either. I have 20" diameter calves and they fit fine with lots of adjustment left.

To be clear, I am not associated with the vender but, I bought them from Atomic Moto. The guys at A.M. took a lot of time with me on the phone to insure that they referred me to the best boot for my situation. I couldn't be happier with them.

Now all I need is to find some Nikwax to keep them in good condition.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #83
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,373
Order up!

Brian,
I put in an order tonight for the Balance Oiled - it's expensive, but after reading all these reviews I thought I'd take a chance.
This thread is really well done, nice job! I really like the product videos you have for the boots, I almost went with the Adventure until you mentioned in the video they cannot be resoled.

If you have any problems, let me know, and thank you for putting such effort into representing the products you carry.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #84
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,965
Not a problem....they are one of a rare group....a product built to a functional goal, not a price point.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #85
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 812
Great Boots

I've had mostly Alpinestars in the past, and just today received a pair of these Gaerne Balance oiled boots.

First impressions after throwing them on and assessing range of motion, support etc, are thumbs up! They are a good balance that leave me no excuses not to wear appropriate gear. Lots of times I just throw on sneakers to avoid having to tuck jeans into the bulkier boots, or contemplating walking about at my destination. These Gaernes WILL fit inside an average pair of jeans pant leg, and long walks are not dreadful. It is very likely I won't ever wear any other boot if these Balance boots continue to grow on me. More protection is fine, but when that boot stays home due to drawbacks, sneakers are a bad alternative and these Gaernes are MUCH better than standard footwear period. Great compromise in my opinion.

About sizing;
I have wide feet, and typically have to order a size up for more room, or hope the appropriate length/size will stretch. In my case based on reviews I took a chance and ordered the correct length (smaller size) 13 and they fit great. Definitely not too wide ... but wider than avg which was welcome. One of the rare instances where footwear seems like it was made for my feet.

If you are looking for comfort, need a little room in the toe box, and want a water-proof boot, THESE are IT!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #86
davkach
BRAAP

Oddometer: 1
Can the CLASSIC and the PRO TECH be compared please. Are they the same build quality? It appears to me that the classic is more "blacked out" and is waterproof. Are those the only differences? Can't wait to get one of the two
davkach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #87
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by davkach View Post
Can the CLASSIC and the PRO TECH be compared please. Are they the same build quality? It appears to me that the classic is more "blacked out" and is waterproof. Are those the only differences? Can't wait to get one of the two
Davkach,

Frankly, I feel that the Gaerne importer misunderstands the construction and use of the Classic model, and we are not recommending them to our customers.

The Balance Classic model is made from synthetic material called "Lorica". Lorica is an Italian microfiber, and used often where synthetic leather is spec'd. It is used on some motorcycle boots, and widely on cycling shoes. It is a good material, light weight, very consistent.....but not superior to leather for durability. It makes sense on street boots, and on boots that have plastic reinforcing. It makes sense on a Trials boot, where you want add'l softness or lighter weight.

IMO for Adventure use it does not add anything to the Balance line, which is almost entirely made from 1 type of main material. It does make it lighter, and softer, but is not superior to the oil-tanned leather or even the full grain used on the Pro Tech.

The only reason that it was added to the line was to have a black waterproof version of the Balance. Instead of developing a new leather-based model (which would have been better...) the buyer took the shortcut of choosing an existing (IMO inappropriate) model.

In our opinion, unless you are looking for a lighter, softer, less durable boot, or you are willing to accept those consequences because you want black+waterproof, there is no reason to choose the Balance Classic.

Hope that makes sense.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #88
joon1911
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
BP,

I'm curious.. I didn't see the Pro-Techs available in Black on your website. My preference from reading the thread would be the Balance Oiled boots, but would prefer a black boot as my riding gear is Black and Hi-Viz.

As another options, how would the Balance Oiled boots react to application of black or dark brown shoe polish? I don't really care if it would be permanent or even 100% consistent as long as I wasn't ruining the leather in the process.

Thanks.

BTW do these boots offer generous room in the calf area? I have muscular calves and have traditionally had problems fitting high boots.
joon1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #89
cakmakli
Made It - Army Retired

Oddometer: 328
I just want to take the time to endorse this company. Their customer service is very professional and will go out of their way to make things work for you.

They worked with me on my Balance Oiled Boots order to make sure everything was correct and good to go. Unfortunately I had to cancel the order at the last minute. You can be sure that they will continue to receive my business and when the time it right I will be ordering those boots from them.

In the meantime I have a pair of Alpinestars WR-3 Gloves in route to my location. Can't wait for that package.

Thanks Brian.
cakmakli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #90
MWValley
Gadget Guy Supérieur

Oddometer: 655
I have had a pair of the brown Balance boots for two years. I like them very well. The buckles are fiddly. I like word, "fiddly". It's an apt description. One morning after fitful night of little sleep (in a tent during a heavy rain) I was fastening up my boots and something felt very wrong. Rubbing my eyes and looking again I had started to attach a buckle to the wrong strap. No wonder if felt odd. You should be awake when putting on any boots.

One thing I don't like is there's no hard ankle protection on the inboard side. Not likely there would be on a true trials boot.

Yes, they're pretty comfortable and they are waterproof like a duck's ass. No leaks, no worries. Even if you get your DR-Z stuck in a spring. The water kind, not the coiled kind.

Honestly there's another pair of boots I wear more often just because they go on faster but there are no boots that could be more dependable than these.

When life hands you melons, you could be dyslexic.

MWValley is offline   Reply With Quote