Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #76
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoytheride View Post
What a great reminder of the power of a motorcycle ride to bring clarity and healing to the human condition. Thoroughly enjoyed the report as well as the pictures. Truly sorry about your loss. After my brother died it was heart breaking for my parents. Time will ease the pain somewhat, it is still a difficult journey.
Have been to Moab twice and will go back again if at all possible. Try to make time and you just have to stop 50 feet up the trail because it looks like a totally different place. The lighting changes perspective on everything.
Thanks again for taking the effort it takes to take us along for the ride. <>< Njoytheride
I have always found that regardless of what motorcycle I have owned, that my demons have never been able to keep up with them.

Lycan1 screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 11:16 AM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #77
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
I have always found that regardless of what motorcycle I have owed, that my demons have never been able to keep up with them.
Excellent statement! I completely agree, and thanks for a great read. My condolences on your loss.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #78
MTKNZ
Touring Kiwi

Oddometer: 104
Thank you...

For the ride report...
For the photos....
For the sense of inclusion that comes from reading such a well written RR...
and for sharing some of yourself with us.
Thank you.

Peace to you and your family.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #79
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Video Of Shafer Switchback

One of the highlights of the riding and Video was Shafer Switchbacks in Canyon Land National Park and part of White Rim Trail.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty9m909Nzjk

Lycan1 screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 09:49 AM
Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #80
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Ok Lycan1, I have decided, and I am fairly certain that I speak for everyone, when I say that you need to move to Moab, and ride a new trail every weekend until you have done them all. Then you can write up an amazing thing with each trail, and we can all enjoy the stories for the next several years.

Ok, so, when can you leave?

Wow again

Thanks so much... great story, and great videos

I have to ask though, was there anything difficult about going up Shafer? I have been up and down it many times in my jeep, and I recall that there are some steep sections, tight turns, and I seem to recall that there was some loose dirt in several sections. Was any of that difficult on the motorcycle?

Thanks!

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #81
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
Ok Lycan1, I have decided, and I am fairly certain that I speak for everyone, when I say that you need to move to Moab, and ride a new trail every weekend until you have done them all. Then you can write up an amazing thing with each trail, and we can all enjoy the stories for the next several years.

Ok, so, when can you leave?

Wow again

Thanks so much... great story, and great videos

I have to ask though, was there anything difficult about going up Shafer? I have been up and down it many times in my jeep, and I recall that there are some steep sections, tight turns, and I seem to recall that there was some loose dirt in several sections. Was any of that difficult on the motorcycle?

Thanks!
I'd love that (living there) at least for 6 months of the year.

Maybe in February.....

Thank you!

As far as going UP Shafer it was done twice during our stay, a couple of days apart. The second time I remember thinking, "WOW I don't remember it being this steep!"

You only need pay attention during the assent as the surface has lots of that fine powdery silt / sand in sections including the "humped" off camber corners. If I was going down I would not be carrying any speed into the corners. Other than that I would just pick my spots carfully, if I met another vehicle, to get around. Traction was good as the surface is hard, even under the dusty sections. No problem even on the porkiest of bikes. That said I'd skip running the Goldwing up or down it, unless you have a brass set.....
Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #82
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Funny enough...

I was actually think that Potash into the WRT might work on the goldwing, haha

Yeah I will take my KLR650.

I have also been trying to decide if it would be better to just go in from town via the Potash road, or to go around and down shafer and down onto the WRT. Or exiting one of those ways. Any thoughts on which might be faster? Having done both many times I do not need either other than access to the wrt, so I am not worried about the photo opportunities on those trails. I just can not decide which would take longer ultimately.

Cheers

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #83
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

If I were to do it again (and I'm sure I will) I would actually go in via Gemini Bridges road, down Shafer, do White Rim Clockwise and up Mineral Bottom switchbacks and out on 313 to the highway.

Lycan1 screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 07:19 PM
Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #84
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Next time it's going on Slick Rock trail!
That would be an expensive and likely painful experience on the big KTM...

Enjoyed your RR. Thanks for posting...

Sorry for your loss. You seemed to have handled it as well as could be expected given the circumstances...

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #85
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post
That would be an expensive and likely painful experience on the big KTM...

Enjoyed your RR. Thanks for posting...

Sorry for your loss. You seemed to have handled it as well as could be expected given the circumstances...
I Thank you, and I am sure you are right about Slick Rock. I hoped to get over to it, at least get the bike on some of the easier (if there is any) sections just to say I did. I would rather take a 250 dirt bike around on it, and that may happen yet.

Next Up a short taste of Onion Creek road in Video. Uploading tonight. Stay tuned.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #86
motorcyclefanatic
The name says it all

Oddometer: 728
Quote:

Like a new place, so to with people, we never really get to know them completely. We see what we want, or what they allow us to see. We remember them both - how we want to, and I choose to remember both my sister and Moab very, very fondly, and always will.

Thanks for coming along.
I read your whole report over a few days. Didn't want to try and cram it all in with one setting and miss something. I so thoroughly enjoyed it, you made me feel like I was along for the ride, but you've got me in tears with this last bit. Stated so succinctly, and so true.

You never went into what got your sister, and I'm not asking you to, but I hope it was quick and merciful. And I'm sure her days on this earth were made better by a brother like you.

My son wants to do a Baja trip next spring, think I'll go.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #87
PabloX
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumb Comments from a sidekick...

Lee,
Where to start? I've been reading the report as it has been assembled and just finished reading the second week of it. I can't express how much I appreciate all of the time and energy you've invested in the preparation for the trip, the help in getting me ready to go, the last minute changes to avoid the crap weather that would have stranded or delayed our travel progress if not killed us. To ride in your company was like having a travel guide take us on a tour . I really was just along for the ride and felt confident that we would get where we were supposed to without giving much thought or concern to it. So many hilights to this trip I can't begine to tell. Every day was a new chapter to an adventure unfolding in real time with no real expectaions, only the question being asked over and over again...what's coming next? ..and there was no disappointment...ever! Thanks for your tireless persistence in writing this report, posting pictures and sharing your personal account of the trip. I love your style and have relived the adventure by reviewing this report and have already shared the link with some friends who 'get it' about this kind of travel/adventure. I fully agree that trips like this are far more than checking off a 'to do' or 'been there, done that' item on a list. Experiences like this, including the personal side of it are the fabric of good friendships and fuel to keep us moving ahead in life and looking for another adventure to chase and record. It was a great experience to share with Pawel, Chris and you. I look forward to future opportunities todo more of the same, only different, with more challenges, more fun and more stories! (...maybe think about a lighter bike for the tougher rides though!)
I didn't see the video of my infamous 'ditchmount' yet, is it still coming out as a post?
Oh, BTW, I did get a pic of that illusive little lizard at Klondyke Bluff, just don't know how to post it...
I will express again, my sympathies over the loss of your sister. Thanks for being real. I'm glad you were able to continue with the trip for as long as you did and still get to Winnipeg to be there with family in a time when you needed to be together.
Looking forward to more rides and reports Buddy! Awesome job on this one!
Paul (KLR) (aka PabloX)
PabloX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #88
MsSuzieQ
Adventure sister

Oddometer: 78
Beartooth Pass / Cooke City...

I have had the privilege of crossing the pass and I LOVED IT... We stayed three days in Cooke City and found it to be very friendly and accommodating for bikers... In response to the time inside your helmet...

Sometimes it takes more than one take of gas to clear your head... just sayin'

2000 V-Star 650 (Sold 5/30/12)
1999 Road King (hated it, gave to the boyfriend)
2006 Road Star Silverado (yeah, that's more like it)
MsSuzieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #89
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Onion Creek Road Video

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO3tFeCKoQM

This run starts off Hwy 128 east of Castle Junction road. An easy, amazingly scenic little Canyon, where the road crosses the stream at least a dozen times before climbing up and meeting Thompson Canyon road, another great ride.

Map: http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=104790

Lycan1 screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 07:29 AM
Old 06-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #90
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloX View Post
Lee,
Where to start? I've been reading the report as it has been assembled and just finished reading the second week of it. I can't express how much I appreciate all of the time and energy you've invested in the preparation for the trip, the help in getting me ready to go, the last minute changes to avoid the crap weather that would have stranded or delayed our travel progress if not killed us. To ride in your company was like having a travel guide take us on a tour . I really was just along for the ride and felt confident that we would get where we were supposed to without giving much thought or concern to it. So many hilights to this trip I can't begine to tell. Every day was a new chapter to an adventure unfolding in real time with no real expectaions, only the question being asked over and over again...what's coming next? ..and there was no disappointment...ever! Thanks for your tireless persistence in writing this report, posting pictures and sharing your personal account of the trip. I love your style and have relived the adventure by reviewing this report and have already shared the link with some friends who 'get it' about this kind of travel/adventure. I fully agree that trips like this are far more than checking off a 'to do' or 'been there, done that' item on a list. Experiences like this, including the personal side of it are the fabric of good friendships and fuel to keep us moving ahead in life and looking for another adventure to chase and record. It was a great experience to share with Pawel, Chris and you. I look forward to future opportunities todo more of the same, only different, with more challenges, more fun and more stories! (...maybe think about a lighter bike for the tougher rides though!)
I didn't see the video of my infamous 'ditchmount' yet, is it still coming out as a post?
Oh, BTW, I did get a pic of that illusive little lizard at Klondyke Bluff, just don't know how to post it...
I will express again, my sympathies over the loss of your sister. Thanks for being real. I'm glad you were able to continue with the trip for as long as you did and still get to Winnipeg to be there with family in a time when you needed to be together.
Looking forward to more rides and reports Buddy! Awesome job on this one!
Paul (KLR) (aka PabloX)
Thanks very much Paul, it was a pleasure and a privilege riding with you guys.

The White Rim Sand Hogs Video is ready but will be another day before I get it uploaded. I tend to do the uploads overnight so that the huge HD files can upload while I sleep.

I'll show you how to get pictures up on the site the next time I see you.