User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Rosacilo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Morocco 2012

Hi everybody, I am a new subscriber and I'm not familiar with this web site yet, but it looks the right place to ask questions about travelling around the world.
I'm planning a tour in Morocco next August and I need to rent a motorbike locally.
Any place/reccomandation where I can rent a motorbike (possibly a BMW) in Morocco ?
Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.
Rosacilo
Rosacilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 432
See here: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/morocco/
Old 06-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
lunaticTR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Wtf?

Here I go again changing my plans from a short trip to a trip all the way from Turkey to Spain, crossing the sea to Morocco, then to Algeria and to Tunisia, crossing the see to Sicilia and back home. Just out of luck (checking the weather at some locations) I learnt that Morroco-Algeria border had been closed for decades. I searched in vain, hopping that there will be some way of crossing between two countries without going back to Spain and taking another ferry to Algeria. There were some hopes that the border might be opened soon, but no recent news about it. Does anybody have any information on it, or a way to make the crossing between the two. (I'll be riding solo and am not a hardcore adventurist (read maniac) to go down to Moritania then to Nigeria just to make it to Algeria. I may even skip Algeria all together just to arrive at Tunisia. It seems the only way to come back home. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Squire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Forget Algeria

You won't be able to cross legally, and you don't want to be an illegal in Algeria. Turkey to Spain is in itself quite a ride, Morocco a most pleasant ride that you will want to extend, for sure. But if Morocco is not enough then you have so many options:

- venture South through Mauritania and into Senegal to see St-Louis and further South to Dakar, quite easily. From Dakar you could lift the bike back to Istanbul on Turkish Airways with yourself on board, with a permanent smile, or ride back by another road.

- another road could be to take the ferry from Morocco to Marseille France, follow the coast line until you hit Genoa-Torino-Milano-Trieste, then into the Balkans if you went to Spain from upper North e.g. Bulgaria, Romania.. etc. or take the Northern road if you went to Spain from the coast line for example.

More on the HUBB. Ride safe!
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Nigel Tailyour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosacilo View Post
Hi everybody, I am a new subscriber and I'm not familiar with this web site yet, but it looks the right place to ask questions about travelling around the world.
I'm planning a tour in Morocco next August and I need to rent a motorbike locally.
Any place/reccomandation where I can rent a motorbike (possibly a BMW) in Morocco ?
Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.
Rosacilo
It is going to be hot! Did you know that? Can you do it in October instead? We are going October. Still warm enough but bearable.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
lunaticTR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
You won't be able to cross legally, and you don't want to be an illegal in Algeria. Turkey to Spain is in itself quite a ride, Morocco a most pleasant ride that you will want to extend, for sure. But if Morocco is not enough then you have so many options:

- venture South through Mauritania and into Senegal to see St-Louis and further South to Dakar, quite easily. From Dakar you could lift the bike back to Istanbul on Turkish Airways with yourself on board, with a permanent smile, or ride back by another road.

- another road could be to take the ferry from Morocco to Marseille France, follow the coast line until you hit Genoa-Torino-Milano-Trieste, then into the Balkans if you went to Spain from upper North e.g. Bulgaria, Romania.. etc. or take the Northern road if you went to Spain from the coast line for example.

More on the HUBB. Ride safe!
Thanks for the advice. Flying back home is not my thing and could be very expensive one. It would shorten my ride and enable me to see sicilia and rome withot making my ride even longer if I could take the ferry from tunisia. Now that it is impossible for the foreseeable future,I think I will go to spain from north since it will still be hot in the south. I will get a decent tent in Czech Rep., couple of heidenau tyres in Germany, see paris, Spain and Morroco, take the ferry back to spain, then follow the south coast to home. Thant should do it for the year I guess.