User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #76
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Post Stage Blythe to Carpinteria

Post Stage Blythe to Carpinteria, 365 miles.

Going home today.

Sleep in until 0800, get breakfast in the motel lobby. Pastry, hard boiled egg, and some juice. The Ball State basketball team was staying here and they had pretty much devoured the food, those boys had big appetites. The coach saw me struggling with my arm and asked about it. He said ice, rest, and strengthening was the way to go.

Get mounted up and notice big puddle of oil coming out of airbox drain so I add the last of the Mexican racing oil I had on hand and prepare to leave. Got off the Interstate as soon as I could at Highway 177, Desert Center. GPS said I could get gas here, no way. Someone needs to call the POI guy and update him.

Oh, well, still have enough gas to get to 29 Palms and should have 50 miles in reserve. I got on the deserted 2 lane highway to 29 Palms. Big headwind, in fact, big enough (along with puking fuel problem) to cause me to run out of gas 15 miles outside of town! Coasted to a stop in an asphalt turnout and considered my options.

IMGP1210 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1209 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Hadn’t seen a car in 40 minutes. I could call AAA and get gas from them, might take an hour or more. Well no more than 45 seconds after I pulled over a truck pulling a boat was coming up behind me. I stuck out my arm, the guy pulled over on the sand shoulder and jumped out with a gas can in his hand. I was started up and rolling again in 4 minutes. I looked in my mirror to make sure the truck was moving and all I saw was a rooster tail of sand. This can’t be good! Turn around to go help dig out the truck and trailer, but as I approach he gets traction is moving. A quick wave and I’ on the way.

Fill up in 29 Palms and it’s the home stretch. Girl at gas station had pink hair, lots of tattoos and piercings. Her friends were hanging out with and they all had a similar look.

I guess if you live in 29 Palms this is what you do.

Now its a straight shot home. Music ON, autopilot ON, just focused on getting home and reflecting on the whole experience. Asta la vista Mexico.........Hello Carpinteria

Carpinteria Beach by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

And the answer to my original question in my ride report title, “Will I come back alive?”.

I came back MORE ALIVE !!!
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #77
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Excellent trip report guys!

I just returned from my first trip to Mexico doing the CC/Baja loop (solo) in just around 3 weeks. Wasn't as successful as you all on the Urique river crossing, but I made it out alive!

Keep it coming
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #78
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,324
Enjoyed the trip, and the trip report. Great sense of humor, even during the not so fun parts. Tough Hombre !

We'll have to do it again.

I'll hit the lights on the way out....
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #79
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Enjoyed the trip, and the trip report. Great sense of humor, even during the not so fun parts. Tough Hombre !

We'll have to do it again.

I'll hit the lights on the way out....
Thanks Brad, not so sure about Tough Hombre, more like 'Survival Mode!'

Still thinking about the trip, one of my best experiences in a long time! Little back country trip next weekend in the Santa Ynez Mountains here in Santa Barbara County. I'm definitely game for another trip south of the border.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #80
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Epilogue

Epilogue:

A listing of the aftermath/carnage:

Puking fuel syndrome, followed by puking oil (bike, not me)
Bent pannier racks
Broken buckle on Wolfman bags
Slightly melted and deformed side panel
Mashed finger and sore shoulder
Some new patina and scratches

Would I do anything different? Maybe smaller bike if going on the less traveled roads. What would I take that I didn’t: extra pair of shoes for water crossings, motorcycle cover ( which I unpacked at the last minute). Get international roaming or a phone card that WORKS. What would I leave behind: some clothes, only take one tube (front, which will fit rear), tactical wallet.

Pretty small list, the puking fuel was fixed with new o-rings at the needle valve seats. Unfortunately the puking oil means splitting the case (counter balance shaft seal)

Got a big pipe (the plumbing kind, not the smoking kind) and pried the pannier racks back into position. New buckle to fix the Wolfman bag. A heat gun and some bending got the side panel fixed. The finger and shoulder are healing, thank you. I had physical therapy lined up for my shoulder before the trip as it was giving me problems for awhile.

The scratches, they might buff out, but I think I will leave them as a reminder of a great trip. Cheaper than a sticker and they have a real story behind them.

Here is a link to my Spot track at Spotwalla
http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=41654f497c9b47203

(you can adjust the number of dots by changing the ‘fill’ at left side of screen)

GPS Tracks for the copper canyon area (Creel to Navajoa) can be downloaded here:
?
Dualsportmaps.com
http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=103666

(
Total trip mileage 2605)

The biggest danger to me in Mexico was myself!

chabon screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 04:18 PM
Old 04-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #81
bruceo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Great ride report, looks like fun! Check out ridewithgps.com for posting gps tracks...
Old 04-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #82
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceo View Post
Great ride report, looks like fun! Check out ridewithgps.com for posting gps tracks...

Thanks Bruceo, it was fun!

Used dualsportmaps.com to post the tracks, it automatically assigned difficultly levels to the ride based on some algorithm.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #83
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,404
I just saw this story today on Borderland Beat. I haven't re-read all the posts so maybe this is old news, but maybe not. It is a story of two Gringo dual sport riders in Copper Canyon area meeting up with a group of drunken Scarios.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #84
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,655
Great report

This is the best trip I've done. Slept in the same spots rode the same roads. Brings back some good times makes me want to saddle up and do it again. Good job youngsters!

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #85
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
I just saw this story today on Borderland Beat. I haven't re-read all the posts so maybe this is old news, but maybe not. It is a story of two Gringo dual sport riders in Copper Canyon area meeting up with a group of drunken Scarios.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/
I saw that report also, but after I got back! It would be a little unnerving to have some one shooting at your feet! I think it's just a matter of chance of who you come across.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #86
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
This is the best trip I've done. Slept in the same spots rode the same roads. Brings back some good times makes me want to saddle up and do it again. Good job youngsters!
Ya, this is a great ride. I think part of it is that not too many people do it so it's still off the beaten tourist path. Best trip I've taken also. I would go back in a heartbeat!
Old 06-24-2012, 03:46 AM   #87
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,404
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabon View Post
I saw that report also, but after I got back! It would be a little unnerving to have some one shooting at your feet! I think it's just a matter of chance of who you come across.
Yea, piss in your pants unnerving!

But, that is a story that can be told for a life time. On the other side of the coin, one could be lamenting like Stephen King's main character in his novel 9/22/63 about the lack of adventure in his life. About the closest thing he had ever come to having an adventure was when he and his buddy hitched hiked around Canada after graduation from college (looking for adventure), but those damned Canadians were so nice and helpful that they ruined all sense of adventure.

Thanks for the very enjoyable ride report. The way you framed the trip and the ensuing discussion was priceless.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #88
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got to the source of the puking oil finally. Little $3 seal hidden behind the deepest, hardest to get to, blind bearing!

IMGP1445 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

There the little bugger is.

IMGP1336 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Hope I remember how this goes back together!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #89
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,324
Not afraid to tackle a project...

Hope you have a back up bike, while your getting it sorted out.
Looks like everything cleaned up nicely.

What is a estimate of hours for this project?
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #90
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Hope you have a back up bike, while your getting it sorted out.
Looks like everything cleaned up nicely.

What is a estimate of hours for this project?
No backup bike . Lost out on a deal for a DRZ400. Still keeping my eyes open for something between 250-400cc, something Baja friendly, just in case.

Think I have about 12 hours into dropping the engine and dis-assembly. Going slow and have to stop and study the handbook once in a while. Took some time to order parts and borrow some tools, go get a bearing pulled that was stuck, etc, etc.

Still waiting for parts from Germany, 3 weeks for a gasket and bearing. Probably take me another 12-16 to get it all back together. Going to Colorado in July if it still runs!!!