ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #1306
Bucko
In a parallel world
 
Bucko's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: South Coast, CA
Oddometer: 817
Cool2 Txx

Answering my own question after buying both the T55 and T60 to be on the safe side: T55.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #1307
garabato25
Adventurer
 
garabato25's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Oddometer: 90
Got lucky

Well I just got back from my dual sport ride from Tampa , Fl to Hiawasse, Ga, for the BMW Rally, about 1500 roundtrip with about 40% offroad and a lot of small jumps......fully loaded and my fat ass (240lbs)...

Got home and first thing I did was checkout y bolt and to my surprise it was straight as an arrow :).....I was stressing but I guess I got lucky...



Cheers
Alex
__________________
Xplor the world....One ride at a time....Reflective Decals www.photobucket.com/arwdesigns_decals
2012 F800GS Trophy
2008 R1200GS Adventure - Magma Red :)...SOLD
BMWMOA # 138991
garabato25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #1308
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 1,650
I managed to do a few trips solo without bending it. A few trips with a pillion and gear.

Then suddenly I bent 2 in 2 trips without really understanding why. I didn't do anything different to usual, didn't have any "big hits" with the rear end.

It's just one of those really minor issues that is very disappointing overall. But hopefully I've seen the last of it. Mine is built solid enough now, thanks in no small part to Indy, that I'm finally confident that it will last. I now have a spare bolt that has stayed "spare" for more than a few weeks.

The front end......well.....stay tuned.

I have an Alpine Rally to attend this weekend, and I'll be running a total combined weight of about 470kg on very rocky 4x4 tracks. If this doesn't break it, nothing will. Snow forecast.

What can possibly go wrong?
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #1309
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 1,650
Frozen red clay.

To answer my own question.


Aside from that, the rear end worked perfectly. The shock bracing combined with a properly valved and sprung (21kg/mm Ohlins spring) works really well, My wife reports no savage jolts transmitted to her back (she has a pinched nerve from a car accident and is sensitive) and I don't recall the ABS kicking in on the rear once in the whole fire trail experience (about 250kms of dirt roads, fire trails, and 4x4 tracks). I think I bottomed it a couple of times, but the suspension guy has it valved such that it comes up on the bump stop more gradually and without the nasty "crack" it used to do.

Front end.....well.....considering...I suppose....yeah...no.

It almost works.

The problem here is, to make it work is going to cost a lot more money. A lot more. The rear end has totalled about $2400 to get to where it is. Able to do fire trails with a pillion and a full load of camping gear.

I started with the standard Ohlins solution for the F800, then went from the 17kg/mm spring to a 19....then to a 21 with a full revalve. Along the way, bent a couple of shock bolts, started to damage the frame mounts, then used the info from here to combine a Rally Moto brace with the Indy kit. Then change it a little with alloy spacers etc.

In hindsight, if I was setting one up for a RTW trip, I'd start with the complete revalve and the 21kg/mm spring - for a solo fully loaded trip. It's the wrong bike for a pillion RTW trip. But for exploring all the local National Parks and State Forests with a pillion, it's working very well.

I personally think that BMW needs to rethink the rear shock mounts. Not drastically, just minor modifications. It would make the whole process so much easier for so many owners. Rather than just having the owners give up and lower their expectations.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #1310
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Clackamas, OR - USA
Oddometer: 1,114
Well it took forever but I finally got through every post in this thread. I don't know if I remember everything I read though

A couple weeks ago I traded in my FJR1300 for a 2012 F650GS. I've had a lot of bikes over the last 30+ years but this is my first BMW and I really hope I did not make a mistake.

I bought the bike because the FJR was just to heavy for me at times and I also did not like having to return home to get the DR650 when I came across a road that I did not want to take the FJR down.

As I was reading through this thread I was freaking out about the shock bolt issue. But I think I let what I was reading get the best of me and it appears for the type of riding I do it may ??? not be the issue I initially thought it was.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I have gathered from this thread....
  • The upper and lower shock mounting design it not the best.
  • If the bike is ridden off-road like a dirt bike in time the bolt will bend.
  • If it's ridden on the street with occasional trips up gravel and fire roads to explore off the beaten path it's probably not an issue.
  • There are fixes if needed.
I also have a few design questions...
  • What is the large section that the upper bolt screws into used for other than as a nut?
  • If it does not have any other use, why not just replace it with a nut so the shock and spacers are locked in between the two shock mounting tabs?
  • Same thing with the lower mount. Why does BMW let one end float instead of clamping the shock between two mounting tabs?

I had hoped to replace both my FJR and DR650 with the F650GS since the only thing I have used my DR650 for is exploring fore roads and two-track trails. But if using the F650 like I use the DR650 is going to bend bolts then that concerns me.

Oh, I'm about 150 lbs without my riding gear on. And I have the Verio side cases and a Givi trunk. Riding will probably be 80% street / 20% off pavement.

I may have some more questions depending on the replies I get to the above questions.

Thanks,

Jon...
__________________
Bikeless at this time
Past Bikes.....Check with my Wife.....I've lost count :-)
Jon_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #1311
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,673
Getting Bent

I think you will be fine. I do a fair bit of off-road on mine and I did slightly bend it. I weigh 220 plus gear. If you want total piece of mind buy the Indy Unlimited kit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Well it took forever but I finally got through every post in this thread. I don't know if I remember everything I read though

A couple weeks ago I traded in my FJR1300 for a 2012 F650GS. I've had a lot of bikes over the last 30+ years but this is my first BMW and I really hope I did not make a mistake.

I bought the bike because the FJR was just to heavy for me at times and I also did not like having to return home to get the DR650 when I came across a road that I did not want to take the FJR down.

As I was reading through this thread I was freaking out about the shock bolt issue. But I think I let what I was reading get the best of me and it appears for the type of riding I do it may ??? not be the issue I initially thought it was.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I have gathered from this thread....
  • The upper and lower shock mounting design it not the best.
  • If the bike is ridden off-road like a dirt bike in time the bolt will bend.
  • If it's ridden on the street with occasional trips up gravel and fire roads to explore off the beaten path it's probably not an issue.
  • There are fixes if needed.
I also have a few design questions...
  • What is the large section that the upper bolt screws into used for other than as a nut?
  • If it does not have any other use, why not just replace it with a nut so the shock and spacers are locked in between the two shock mounting tabs?
  • Same thing with the lower mount. Why does BMW let one end float instead of clamping the shock between two mounting tabs?

I had hoped to replace both my FJR and DR650 with the F650GS since the only thing I have used my DR650 for is exploring fore roads and two-track trails. But if using the F650 like I use the DR650 is going to bend bolts then that concerns me.

Oh, I'm about 150 lbs without my riding gear on. And I have the Verio side cases and a Givi trunk. Riding will probably be 80% street / 20% off pavement.

I may have some more questions depending on the replies I get to the above questions.

Thanks,

Jon...
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #1312
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Clackamas, OR - USA
Oddometer: 1,114
Thanks Riley,

I kind of figured it was not to much of an issue with the type of riding I anticipate using the bike for. If I start pushing it harder off pavement then I'll look into upgrading things.

Regarding the type of riding you do. I've been following the club videos you post in the GoPro thread so I know how much fun you and your friends have

Jon...
__________________
Bikeless at this time
Past Bikes.....Check with my Wife.....I've lost count :-)
Jon_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #1313
McCardigan
happy Budda
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Back on the road again
Oddometer: 2,926
Another happy rider with Indy's replacement shock bolt kit.

Have just removed the Ohlins rear shock to find the lower original bolt is also slightly bent, so have ordered Indy's lower kit.

The upper bolt kit now has over 10,000kms on it and that's on Oz's crap roads, and the new bolt is perfectly straight

Cheers
__________________
Keep me searching for a heart of gold, and I'm getting old (Neil Young)
Still homeless, armless and legless,

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #1314
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer
 
guzzimike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Them Thar Hills WA Australia
Oddometer: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCardigan View Post
Another happy rider with Indy's replacement shock bolt kit.

Have just removed the Ohlins rear shock to find the lower original bolt is also slightly bent, so have ordered Indy's lower kit.

The upper bolt kit now has over 10,000kms on it and that's on Oz's crap roads, and the new bolt is perfectly straight

Cheers
Chris,
I thought I'd been following this thread, but I missed this.
What is the Indi lower bolt kit?
Can you enlighten me?
__________________
Armageddon Was Yesterday, Today We Have a Problem

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683


Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #1315
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 1,650
The same as the upper bolt kit but shorter to fit the lower shock bole. You replace the bearing with the same one the top uses,and use a short 20mm dia bearing steel sleeve over the bolt.

I got both at once because I'd bent 2 top bolts and the lower was just bent enough to make it difficult to extract.


No problems with shock bolts since.

I firmly believe that the Ohlins shock is the culprit. After reviewing video ride footage, I can hear myself talking out loud (as I do to remind myself of things when I watch the video) and I specifically mention the shock blowing through the last part of it's travel in 3 different videos. When It does this it bottoms with a crack. It's hurt your lower back.

I didn't bend a bolt UNTIL I put the Ohlins in. The Ohlins worked better than stock at absorbing trail chop - roots, rocks, sharp steps etc. But it's bottoming resistance is lower in my opinion.

I rode both with a pillion. A heavier spring helped the Ohlins, but it still tended to blow through the last 1/3 of it's travel with relative ease.

I had it revalved and it works perfect now.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #1316
johngil OP
Reseda, CA
 
johngil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 3,792
Bottom Kit

johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #1317
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 290
First let me confess that I haven't read the entire thread! But is this issue the same in the F650GS twin? And do the same fixes fit the F650GS?
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #1318
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer
 
Indy Unlimited's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 1,288
Yeah my kits work on all BMW F800s and F650s
__________________
Current Stable:

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #1319
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 1,650
Has any aspect of the shock mounting been changed by BMW on the 2013 model?

What sort of time frame does BMW run a model without a makeover?

Changing the colour hardly rates as a "new" model.

That's so "DR650".
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #1320
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoody View Post
First let me confess that I haven't read the entire thread! But is this issue the same in the F650GS twin? And do the same fixes fit the F650GS?
Yeah same problems, so if you ride your bike hard off road then definitely go with the Indy kit.
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014