Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #1
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,682
Three days in Ireland - route suggestions?

Hiring an F650GS from Celtic Rider in July with a rough plan of turning a wheel in Northern Ireland before heading to Sligo and Galway day one, Cork via Limerick and the Ring of Kerry day two and an easy ride back to Dublin on day three.

Anyone know of any "must sees" en route or have alternative route suggestions?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,850
If you can find the time, check out Sheeps Head and/ or the Skellig Islands.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"

Riteris screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 05:47 AM
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
-JonnyBoy-
may cause drowsiness

Oddometer: 54
Thumb

Here ya go, make sure you don't just do the ring of Kerry but also get into the mountains in the middle. consider doing Beara (my favourite) and donegal as well, even instead. use bestbikingroads.com and biker.ie for more info.

If you wanna ride - ride, don't talk

udinka.com
-JonnyBoy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
Wildman OP
In my castle

Merci, mes amis!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
-JonnyBoy-
may cause drowsiness

Oddometer: 54
btw I'll be arriving to Ireland from france on 23rd of July if you'll be around for a pint

If you wanna ride - ride, don't talk

udinka.com
-JonnyBoy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
Wildman OP
In my castle

Would have loved to but I'm just there 09-10 July to work and 11-13 to ride.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
langloisandy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Dingle Peninsula...go!

Head to the Dingle Peninsula, stop in Dingle for some food, ride around the peninsula and be back for more food/music/drink. A MUST stop area.

Andy
Guzzi Breva 750 and more...
langloisandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #8
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,698
Wickliffe Mtn area S of Dublin!!!
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #9
ebel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Ring of Kerry is nice. If you want to do it, do it clock-wise. All the big tour busses and coaches have to go anti-clockwise (because the roads are narrow in some bits and they'd get stuck otherwise). However on a bike you can easily pass a coach going the other way, and this way you don't get stuck behind a coach for hours. Though it's funner to go through the middle. Béara peninsula (right beside ring of kerry) is very nice too, and a bit less busy. Dingle is nice too.

Wicklow mountains (just south of dublin) are nice too. If you wanna take an easy way back, then get off the motorway and try to go through the "Sally Gap" and "Wicklow gap"
ebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,850
Maybe I did not spend enough time in the Wicklow Mountain area but compared to the western part of Ireland, I found it rather boring. IMO, if time is precious, I would rather spend it elsewhere.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #11
ebel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
Maybe I did not spend enough time in the Wicklow Mountain area but compared to the western part of Ireland, I found it rather boring. IMO, if time is precious, I would rather spend it elsewhere.
Agreed. I live in Dublin, so i can go to Wicklow Mountains for day trips. But the west is better than the wicklow mountains. However if you want to head back to Dublin and don't want to go on motorways the whole way, it's a good side diversion
ebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebel View Post
Agreed. I live in Dublin, so i can go to Wicklow Mountains for day trips. But the west is better than the wicklow mountains. However if you want to head back to Dublin and don't want to go on motorways the whole way, it's a good side diversion
Agree with the others re wicklow mountains. Kerry is great, maximise your time there. Looks like you would have hit the road today anyway.

Sounds like you are doing very big days... Make sure you check out the Burren tomorrow on your way down to Kerry! It's definitely worth it, just south of Galway. Riding along the coast there was awesome, I have some footage in my videoblog, link in sig, check out Log 17, the footage from 5 min onwards :)

Oh and I did it on the same bike
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Wildman OP
In my castle

Just came down from Dublin to Killarney today, dodging the showers, some motorway, some A & B roads so I'm ready for the RoK tomorrow. Rain forecast for the morning but will head out and try to get up to Limerick to take in the Cliffs of Moher either late tomorrow or first thing Friday.

My arse hurts; that F650GS seat is a bench! Should know, I swapped out my F800GS seat for a Corbin after one trip.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Yeah, not the best seat I must say...

Check out the Burren after the cliffs of moher, seriously, definitely worth it!
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
Otherguy
First World Traveler

Oddometer: 368
If it fits your schedule, check out the little town of Kinvara across the bay from Galway. Some really good pubs and a nice thatched roof hotel-The Merriman.
Otherguy is offline   Reply With Quote