Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,276
Day 2 Moab to Denver

AM campsite at Marshall Pass:

After breakfast, we continued west. Our goal today was to make it to Telluride via Cinnamon/Imogene Passes.

Second mechanical of the trip, a nail through the rear tire of my bike…unfortunately, lack of practice, I pinched the replacement tire…and we had to patch it and replace it a second time

Here is a family of bicycle riders doing the whole Continental Divide trail from New Mexico to Canada stopping to exchange stories as we finished up the repairs.

Finally on our way, this is on the western side of Marshall:

Refueling at Poncha Springs:

Heading to Lake City through the northern edge of the Rio Grande National Forest:

Lunch break by Los Pinos Creek, right before Los Pinos Pass:

We then refueled at Lake City and headed to Cinnamon Pass. Below is the pass and the descent into Animas Fork. This was the first of several passes we completed in this trip that we had to abort three years ago on F-650's due to snow, mud and our inability to get the bigger motos through:

Animas Fork below with the climb we would take toward California/Hurricane/Corkscrew, three passes that we also were unable to complete on our F-650's three years prior:

This is descending Corkscrew Gulch:

We then headed to Ouray and up to Imogene. This is the classic "drinking cup" shot on 361 climbing toward Imogene. Lots of traffic, though.

Arriving at Imogene Pass which had opened just a couple of days before. I took the first of many falls this trip negotiating one of the small switchbacks before getting to the final narrow shelf road. We both stopped counting after the third or fourth fall

The descent to Telluride:

Black Bear switchbacks and Bridal Veil Falls in the background:

Luxury accommodations in Telluride at Camel's Garden, bathrobes and all. We were tired after flying NOLA to Denver at 6 am, starting to ride by noon and completing 340 miles of mostly dirt and 7 or 8 passes in one and a half days…plus changing two flat tires…no amount of weight lifting in the gym, walking, jogging, and sprinting can replace hard riding. Plus the last leg to Moab would be another 200 plus miles, including several miles of single track… I used to train to race bicycles…as I get older, now I train for my vacations...

Road Reports by ejtv click here

ejtv screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 06:41 PM
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote