User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
plutoz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Day trip from Las Vegas to Death Valley

I'm going to be visiting Las Vegas in early October and I've arranged to rent a BMW KT1300GT for a day trip out to Death Valley with my wife as passenger.

I'm thinking I would like to visit the following areas (in order):
Dantes View
Badwater Basin
Artist's Drive
Furnace Creek
Stovepipe Wells Village
Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes

I'm planning to end the day by heading up Mount Charleston and staying overnight, heading back to Vegas the following morning. It's just over 400 miles end to end including the return to Vegas (according to Google maps)

Does anyone see any issues with this ride? I was originally hoping to visit Scotty's Castle & Ubehebe Crater but I think it would just be way too much to cover for one day.

Lastly, if there is anyone reading this who is in Vegas and wants to join us on the ride please let me know. I don't know the area well and would appreciate the company of someone a little more familiar with these roads and the conditions etc.
plutoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
I did that same exact trip a few years ago.......flew into Vegas and rented an 1150rt from the BMW dealer there, rode up to Mt Charleston, then north and west into Death Valley. Back along the western route side of the mountains. Was a great and enjoyable ride. However, I didn't get to spend much time exploring Death Valley. Not because of time, but because the rental was limited to 300 FREE miles. I actually ended up riding about 315 miles, and because of the wide open nature of the terrain, and the high speed.imits, I was back to the dealer within 6-7 hours. Picked the bike up at 9, when they opened. Was OK though, by about 2-3 in the afternoon it was getting pretty hot anyway. This was in early April. I suspect that October would have similar temps.

Make sure to ride Red Rock Canyon.....beautiful and twisty ride.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
plutoz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks patmo, your tip on Red Rock Canyon is appreciated - looks like it doesn't add *too* much to the ride - 26 miles / 45 minutes to swing out to Red Rock Canyon Rd and Scenic Loop Dr, however the ride is inching up into 10 hour territory without stops...

I'm given the same 300 mile allowance with the rental company (Eagle Rider) which they did *not* tell me about when I booked which is a bit annoying. Extra miles are $0.39 each - 'only' $39 for 100 miles

Did you see many of the Death Valley sites I mentioned in my original post?

Here is the Google Map of the route, I think I'm going to have to cut something as it seems just too much for a single day.
plutoz is offline   Reply With Quote