Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
can anyone explain why my big ruckus is nowhere as quick as my helix?

Hey everyone,

I happen to be in a very fortunate situation where I have two awesome scooters. Both are entirely stock. The helix is an '06 I believe and only has 700 miles on it and the Big Ruckus is an '05 model with about 7k miles on it. Both have been maintained and are in great mechanical condition. My Helix gets around 50 mpg and the Ruck gets 70 mpg so I'm guessing it has something to do with fuel jets or carb differences. Is there a way to get my Ruck up to the speed(acceleration) of the Helix? My wife usually rides the helix and I hate seeing her pull away from me. lol. Just curious if there are any options out there to get it up to speed without spending a lot of $$$$. Thanks.
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Interesting; because my BigRuck only gets about 60 mpg. Although I'm similarly disappointed with the speed.

I'm guessing the lack of any fairing to slip through the airstream has something to do with it. But why there should be such a variance with models with the same engine/carb, is a mystery.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewto...p?f=28&t=58815
The Big Ruckus comes stock with six 26G Roller weights, too heavy for the engine to quickly spool up and give decent acceleration. The Helix comes stock with six 23G roller weights, when you gas it the engine spools right up and gets with the program. The Honda Reflex uses a different type stepped variator and uses three 21G weights and three heavier weights giving a different response. Just buy 2 sets of Honda Reflex rollers, install three of the 21G weights from each set and you'll think it is a different Scooter. Quite a difference accelerating up hills as well. It's like a $40 mod but Scooter remains Honda OEM, there is a simple variator holding tool to build and you'll need a torque wrench.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewto...p?f=28&t=58815
The Big Ruckus comes stock with six 26G Roller weights, too heavy for the engine to quickly spool up and give decent acceleration. The Helix comes stock with six 23G roller weights, when you gas it the engine spools right up and gets with the program. The Honda Reflex uses a different type stepped variator and uses three 21G weights and three heavier weights giving a different response. Just buy 2 sets of Honda Reflex rollers, install three of the 21G weights from each set and you'll think it is a different Scooter. Quite a difference accelerating up hills as well. It's like a $40 mod but Scooter remains Honda OEM, there is a simple variator holding tool to build and you'll need a torque wrench.
I ve read the K mod which is what you talking about isn't recommed on the big R at total ruckus.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
because it waste a lot of energy....raising a RUCKUS!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
kev187
Faux Pas Rendezvous

Oddometer: 226
Best mod!

On my big ruckus, three simple mods.

21g Dr. Pulley sliders $30
*use the stock variator and these sliders = awesome

Blue Polini Contra Spring $20
*this spring goes between your clutch and rear pulley. It helps hold low gear longer off the line and snaps back to low gear faster on hills.

REJET $5
*toto a 45 slow jet and 102 main. Easy mod, don't even need to take the carb out. Just pull the left cover and turn the carb.

Do these nods and hold on..... its like you added 100cc to the engine. I have been running this setup for about 8000 moles now. Top speed still 75mph+
kev187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
Interesting; because my BigRuck only gets about 60 mpg. Although I'm similarly disappointed with the speed.

I'm guessing the lack of any fairing to slip through the airstream has something to do with it. But why there should be such a variance with models with the same engine/carb, is a mystery.

Both are 250cc, but I'm pretty sure they aren't the same engine. The Helix engine is virtually the same as the Elite 250, except on the Elite the engine is upright. I believe the Big Ruck uses the same engine as the Reflex.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
fullmetalscooter

It;s a reflex engine with all the anti pollution ship that comes with newer bikes. It's comparing lemons to orgages. Different designs. Even down to how the wind effect your speed. Ruckus has far more wind drag compared to a helix. Even diffenent gearing on the tranny.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #9
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
have you seen the size, weight and aerodynamics of the ruckus lol seriously
Old 06-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Warney
Studly Adventurer

The 1985-88 Elite 250 had a vertical cylinder and 244cc displacement, the 1989-90 Elite had a horizontal cylinder and 249cc displacement as do the Reflex and Big Ruckus.
They may not be exactly the same engine but the 249cc versions are closely related.
I wasn't suggesting Lee do the Reflex K-mod at all, just acquire six 21G Reflex rollers (you will need to buy 2 new sets of Reflex rollers to arrive at that amount) and swap the six 26G Big Ruckus rollers for the six 21G Reflex rollers. With the other six heavier unused Reflex rollers, the core can be pressed out and drilled so a custom set of 20G or 22G rollers can be made.
I've not rejetted mine (yet), but those who have report good results.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
I ve read the K mod which is what you talking about isn't recommed on the big R at total ruckus.
Link please.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
fullmetalscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
Link please.
google k mod total rukas .com
Old 07-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

just thought I'ld post up and update. With much help from Kev187 I have ordered the jets for the carb, rollers, and spring. I hope to maybe receive everything next week and get it installed. I'll be sure to post up any problems and results. Thanks!!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
mrnoitall
Banned

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
just thought I'ld post up and update. With much help from Kev187 I have ordered the jets for the carb, rollers, and spring. I hope to maybe receive everything next week and get it installed. I'll be sure to post up any problems and results. Thanks!!!!!!!
I think it's a shame that you have to pay for after market parts and the time and or money to have them installed, just to make your 250cc scooter perform like most other 250 scooters.
mrnoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoitall View Post
I think it's a shame that you have to pay for after market parts and the time and or money to have them installed, just to make your 250cc scooter perform like most other 250 scooters.
yeah that may be true but I've had LOTS of m/c's over the years and I can honestly say the ruck will NEVER be sold no matter what. I can't explain it but it's just so perfect for me that a $100 cost of parts is worth it to give it a little more pep for around time. I'm planning on doing the install myself but may have to call a lifeline if I have trouble. :loll