Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #5026
msmetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStrom View Post
Q playing chicken with all the traffic in Oakley

Hmmm........deserted town, large spider web. It seems like I've seen this somewhere before.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #5027
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata View Post
Great video Dave. Thanks for posting it.
Yeah! That was very nice.
Thanks for creating that.

There's more to come I hope...
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #5028
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
Ok here is part two. It's a little different than the first part. It's 11 minutes long, so it may be a bore for some of you.
It's my perspective of Bruneau Canyon. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining about the difficulty, I was intimidated
at times and Dave's positive attitude pushed me through.

DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #5029
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
I hope it isn't just me , but I think Mobius 9 is the new benchmark ! Dr Rock , LDF , Albert Strom and Quester , many thanks for everyone's input . Great descriptive narration with a perfect mix of excellent photos and video . I thank all of you for your effort to entertain those of us that just can't take a ride of this caliber . All the videos of your ride down into and back out of the canyon put me right there with you . Continue when you get a chance , thanks again !
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #5030
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I heard some birds chirping, and unzipped the fly to the tent. I rubbed my eyes... it was as if the sky was on fire. I ran over to get the Leica. I clicked it onto my HDR settings where it take 5 consecutive shots with varying exposures for later synthesis. Shitshitshit. The cap is on. Super long exposure time... and then wait for noise cancelling... I'm dying here...

The light actually changed in the time it took for the camera to reboot. But I still ended up with this:

and about a minute later... this:

about two minutes after that the light show was over... it was just another bland, mildly overcast morning.

Today's route would take us across southwestern ID to the Oregon border at Jordan Valley and the completion of the T2 Tour of Idaho route (except for the far eastern part which we'd pick up at the end of our big loop).

But first we'd have to get out of Bruneau Canyon. How hard could that be?
FANTASTICK!!!!! Great photos and RR
Thanks for sharing!.......I think I just found my new desktop!!!

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #5031
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 817
Well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStrom View Post
Ok here is part two. It's a little different than the first part. It's 11 minutes long, so it may be a bore for some of you.
It's my perspective of Bruneau Canyon. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining about the difficulty, I was intimidated
at times and Dave's positive attitude pushed me through.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #5032
bilborides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Yep looks like Jordan Valley to me.There is a guy there named Jim he owns the station, mini mar,t hotel, tow truck, and just about everything else.Nice trip keep safe
bilborides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #5033
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,749
Looks like some awesome riding...

May have to move M9 segment to my favorite. Kudos to you all for persevering
Old 06-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #5034
jeickerman
Full of it.

Oddometer: 136
AlbertaStrom camera and mic

AlbertaStrom,

What camera and mic set up are you using for your riding? The sound is pretty darn excellent for being on a bike.

J
jeickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #5035
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeickerman View Post
AlbertaStrom,

What camera and mic set up are you using for your riding? The sound is pretty darn excellent for being on a bike.

J
Drift HD and Drift external lav mic mounted in chin bar foam
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #5036
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
M9 Day 5, Wednesday May 16, 2012

It's great to camp, and it's always our preference all things being equal, but sometimes a motel shows up along the way, and for a lot of reasons it's just the right thing to do. We want showers, the weather looks bad, we need to do laundry, whatever. The one reliable bonus is that we always get an early start, and this morning was no different... 8am, wheels rolling. (we didn't change our watches to pacific time on this trip)

Today would mark the point in M9 where the routing was all my design. T2 was great, and I'd try to upkeep the tradition of the TAT, etc, trying to take the most remote way between fuel stops. I'd worked hard, and was both curious to see what I'd come up with, and a little apprehensive whether all the roads and trails would be passable.

Game on!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #5037
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The general idea

was to maintain about the same latitude, continue traveling west to Crater Lake, then head south into CA before heading east. The first leg put us parallel to highway 95, on the old ION (Idaho-Oregon-Nevada) "highway"

The ION alternated between regular farm road sections,

and pretty rough two-track. We were on the lookout for Jean Baptiste Charbonneau's gravesite, which was marked on the Benchmark Atlas. What we found was this,

and a fenced in area, where I presume his headstone is. Close enough.

On the other side of this bridge,

the road started to peter out... we passed through a gate, and waved at a rancher who was across a fence in a field to the south. He waved back, but didn't try to stop us. In retrospect, I think he figured he'd be seeing us again soon enough since we'd be turning around in a bit when things got rough. At least that's what I imagined.

The road definitely looked more impressive on the GoogleEarth imagery. This would not be the last time I'd be saying this to myself. And apologizing to my riding partners.

We encountered a gentle uphill, that was just littered with embedded boulders.

I struggled to get up, Dave took what looked like an easier route alongside (it wasn't), and LDF got bounced.

Dave pushed on to the top, where it flattened out and looked easier and parked. I came up beside him in the other track and rode past and parked. I got off Blueberry, and started walking back to my bike, when I see Dave waving his hands. I have the earplugs in, but he and I aren't connected, so I move closer to hear what he's trying to say. I'm pressing the intercom button and I hear him shouting "RATTLESNAKE"!!!!

Holy SHITE!

He had seen it in the track he was following and stopped so he didn't run it over. I had sailed by in the other track, and was about two steps from it. Man, they're camouflaged pretty darn well.

I was having a hard time concentrating on what I was saying as I was focused on the snake.

Can you see it NOW?

By this time LDF had hike up to where we were. Death-defying special section #1... conquered!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #5038
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This was great riding

but there's an anxiety not knowing if you'll have to backtrack which doesn't exist when you're riding someone else's pre-vetted route.

you start to feel better when it looks like this,

and then get a little knot in your stomach when it gets like this:

Life on a perfectly good road.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 08:49 AM
Old 06-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #5039
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

By the way,

when 'yer lady tells you she wants to go to Paris and Rome... remember the M9 route. That's Rome up ahead in the valley,

Which must make this the Via Appia:

We caught a nice view of the Pillars of Rome in the distance.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #5040
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,070
But honey, this is Rome!

Not sure that would work, Rock.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote