nt
Teep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #1038
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
The winglets definitely keep a lot of cold air off you. Actually, I notice them most in reverse. If it starts getting warm, I need to pull them off or I start roasting.
+1. WInglets help a lot when its cold (about 2 weeks a year here in coastal TX). Easy on, easy off.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #1039
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
The winglets definitely keep a lot of cold air off you. Actually, I notice them most in reverse. If it starts getting warm, I need to pull them off or I start roasting.

The madstad screen IS a huge barn door - no way around it. Definitely NOT suitable for real off roading, it moves around quite a lot (IMHO, due to the mass of the metal faring bracket and the cantilever effect of the adjustable mounts themselves) and it is tall. Gravel and dirt roads are fine.

If I'm doing anything more exciting, I pull it off, stick it in a t-shirt and bungie it to my duffel bag. Both due to the height hitting me in the face and how hot it would be at low speeds.

The only other system I would consider would be the Mirage-type set up, but that sure is pricey.

You can see it strapped on the back here:
I tested the prototype of the brackets for Mark at Madstad before he put them on the market with the shield. What I did was mount them on the 650 twin low windshield and cut up a Twalcom shield and attached it as a front shield. Worked awesome and it wasn't as much of a wind bulldozer as the current one. The one downside I saw to the system was how incredibly difficult it was to adjust the brackets. Not sure if he improved on that for the production system. I told him about the winglet prototypes I made which is probably where he got the idea from. Not 100% sure though as I think Nippy Normans was selling a winglet system at the time too.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #1040
OnkelPopanz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teep View Post
nt
What is meant by nt?

Mit Tapatalk
OnkelPopanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #1041
TFB43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Headache from Givi windscreen!

Installed a Givi windscreen on the 800gs. Was great at lower speeds,but at 65 or above it sounds like thunder in my helmet. Earplugs make no difference. Taking a trip to Alaska at the end of the month... Not sure if the factory with the TT extension will be sufficient. Pockets are thin from purchasing other goodies for the trip. I hear the Wunderlich is flimsy. Some say it's great others say it flops around. Anyone with experience please elaborate.
TFB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #1042
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
I experienced the same with the Givi screen. The Wunderlich is much better for smooth airflow, but my experience is that it flops around a lot off road. It's quite heavy too. I took it (Wunderlich) off last week and put the stock shield back on for a 1000 Km ride which was mostly off road, and was quite happy because it was hot and the extra airflow felt nice.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #1043
Jooka
I grow everywhere

Oddometer: 28
I am not really wanting to read this entire thread(have already read many pages already), but has anyone had both the AeroFlow Touring tall screen and the Mirage 2 and want to comment on on which you liked better and why? I have been looking over all the options and these are the 2 I am most interested in. I am 90% pavement at this point but looking to change that thus the interest in the Mirage 2. If the Mirage 2 is satisfactory on the highway vs the stock screen I can be happy with that with the option to lower the screen and explore a whole new world for me via motorcycle.

thanks,
Jooka
Jooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #1044
RobertAmsterdam
www.twbastards.com

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAmsterdam View Post
I tried the OEM screen,
I tried the BMW touring screen
I tried the touringscreen with spoiler

But now I found the perfect solution

Wunderlich vario with spoiler
Almost as good as the airflow givi on my 1200

On this pic the screen is down for non highway use:

I am 183m have a touring bmw saddle and shoei multitech

No turbulence, or noise, if its not to windy I can ride 140 without earplugs

screen upright position:

Buy the vario and if you are taller like me 1.83meters buy a little spoiler, so happy with it. The BMW touring really, really sucks if you are about my height or taller.

My buddy with the OEM screen really has trouble keeping up on the highway when speeding, the more it drives him nuts the more I laugh
Old 07-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #1045
OnkelPopanz
Adventurer

Question to the madstad owners: For which rider-height is what screen height recommended (20 or 18 inches)?

Quite unsure about that... :

Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #1046
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnkelPopanz View Post
Question to the madstad owners: For which rider-height is what screen height recommended (20 or 18 inches)?

Quite unsure about that... :
I'd suggest the 20" unless you're really short. Madstad used to recommend 20" for those 6' and taller, but I see they now recommend the 20" for most riders and 18" only for those vertically challenged. My experience is that I run with the 18" all the way up, almost all the time, and I am probably switching to the 20". I'm 6', 33 inseam.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #1047
OnkelPopanz
Adventurer

Thanks a lot, I ordered the 20", hoping it'll give me some weather protection and helps me being rid of this damned storm noise...

I will report back when I had the chance to test it.
Don't know how long doing to Europe will take...

Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #1048
Jooka
I grow everywhere

Oddometer: 28
I went with the Touring AeroScreen. Arrived late today, will get it on tomorrow and give it a test out.
Jooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #1049
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 201
Have had great success with Aeroflow screens in the past, so decided to try it with the F800GS.

Yes the screen won't win any beauty awards; if I was interested in beauty I would have got a Ducati.

The screen is an extra tall (I'm 6' 3") and works very very well. 80mph (129 kmph) and no helmet buffeting. Still had adequate airflow through the helmet even though it hit 104 degF (40 degC) during the 2 hour test ride. Screen is clear with no distortion.

It appears a lot taller in the pictures than in real life, especially regarding the pictures from the front. Sitting on the bike, I'm a looking at least 2" above the screen.

The plan is to use this windshield for longer trips and remove the whole assembly for shorter and off-road treks. The only stock parts that need to be purchased to do this is a second set of windshield brackets on the right and left fairings (item 2 in the image below). Each bracket lists for $2.79 so it's not much of a cost.

IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com

fosters2 screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 10:05 AM
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #1050
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
just switched from TT to Twalcom.. and I like it a bit more, than Touratech. The turbulences are less intense...

Hicks screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 02:42 PM
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote