Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #5056
JackJack
Dulce Periculum

Oddometer: 395
"There was one section that was extra-wide, a little soft, but graded, and paved with grass..."

A runway? We often used a small plane to find missing cattle on our place when I was a kid...there was a limit to finding them on horseback in really brushy areas or ravines.

Riffle: A swift spot in a slow moving stream. Hence the water was moving so it wasn't stagnant and likely safe to drink.

What a great adventure! I will go see that guy when I head out west.

Keep Rocking!

JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #5057
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
A little scavaging for wire behind the old service station and field repairing the vapor speedo is a breeze

Mid day route briefing

No hassles yet today

This stretch before Happy Valley was the most difficult sustained riding of the trip for me. It seemed like it would never end and I'm thinking LDF would agree with me.

These green bits were all about faith in solid ground. I knew why they were green...and there was some water in places but was I blindly riding into quicksand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
The next couple of hours, were spent essentially bushwhacking, following a line on a GPS,
which every once in awhile would reconstitute on the ground into something that resembled the idea of a road...
but more often than not, remained a road only in theory.

Mr Jenkins was a beauty ...
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #5058
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Round barn

When I first noted the round barn on the map when I was creating the route, I thought it was some kind of novelty tourist attraction, like the worlds largest ball of twine.

but in fact, it was an impressive accomplishment of pioneer ingenuity and engineering.

Of course, LDF was obsessing over this animal track which she was convinced was from a beast spawned by the crossing of a mountain lion with a bear with a wolf.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #5059
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was 20 miles

or so to The Narrows... and we were feeling much better after our stop with Mr. Jenkins. Here's my recap:

"Stop looking at me like that!" I don't know why, but the cows were creeping me out.

It was some nice trail to get to the Refuge. You can see the wetlands in the distance.

The last bit was paved,

and I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say we weren't a little disappointed when we saw what our camping opportunity would be:

an RV parking lot, a grassy knoll, no fire pits, no view... sigh. We gassed up, bought some appetizers and cocktail fixin's at the gift shop,

and set up our tents.

The good news is that there were hot showers. Or showers, anyway... the one Dave had was curtailed, but the stall LDF used never ended, all off of one quarter. I chose that one. We had a nice dinner in the restaurant, and a small campfire in a fire bowl made from an old washing machine inner drum with legs welded onto it.

After the day we'd had, no one was complaining.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #5060
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 5 stats

(green line was our intended route -- yellow is what we did)

the day's .GPX file can be downloaded here.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #5061
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
>"... mountain lion with a bear with a wolf. "

It's a Bearcat! Very elusive like Bigfoot or the Yeti.
Many have seen Bearcats... but no photos have surfaced yet.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #5062
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,179
isn't that the tree where Llewelyn Moss found 2 million dollars?

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #5063
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
isn't that the tree where Llewelyn Moss found 2 million dollars?
Nah, that one's coming up... stay tuned.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #5064
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M9 Day 6, Thursday May 17, 2012

Today our route would continue west, possibly to Christmas Valley, or if we made good time, we'd skip that and just press on to Silver Lake where we'd been before on the TAT. We'd only be crossing one paved road in between, Hwy 395, not that there would be any services.

I'd traced most of the route on GoogleEarth, with the exception of a couple dry lake beds where the tracks sort of dispersed. Otherwise, I had the usual anxiety of getting turned around by gates and such. And I could in no way vouch for the difficulty of the terrain. Turns out, we didn't have a single reroute the whole day.

We awoke to overcast skies, and a few sprinkles.

We started with a short paved transit section that took us out on the Double O Ranch road.

Through the refuge,

where we actually did see some birds,

I don't know why the birders get their undies bunched about motorcycles... we flush 'em out so they can log them in their little books. They should be thanking us.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #5065
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the end of the gravel

was a gate that marked the boundary of the Refuge.

beyond which was who knows what. We made our contributions to the wetlands,

performed one last pre-flight check,

and pointed ourselves at the first dry lake bed crossing.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #5066
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We weren't quite sure

what to expect... but it didn't take long to figure out.

Past the rise, there were a couple more lake beds, but they were more sandy.

Overall this section was visually striking, and I think the overcast weather and clouds contributed a lot to that.

Climbing out of that valley, we were on vague cow trails again (OK Mr. Jenkins, "roads")

Old 06-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #5067
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A look into the next valley

Iron mountain (5800ft)

and the road that'll get us across.

On the next ridge there were some old structures,

Old 06-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #5068
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The GPS comes in real handy

when the trail looks like this:

To get to the next valley, we had to navigate some canyons,

the riding was technical, but not terribly so.

or maybe we were now acclimated so that mildly challenging, difficult terrain now seemed easy.

Looking back,

Old 06-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #5069
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We'd been at it

for a few hours...

it was time to take a little break.

the canyon we just climbed into and got spit out of:

Riding away from this spot for a good five minutes and turning back yielded this view. We took our break where the road meets the canyon:

Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #5070
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The view at

the top of the next ridge gave us the lay of the land:

then some long, straight, flat sections where we'd spread out on accouna the dust.

No country for big bikes, or street tires.

Speaking of tires, we'll be sporting rear trials tires for M10. Pirelli MT43's

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 09:09 AM