Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #931
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,183
The above post was in response to a post by Geode, who apparently had second thoughts about it and deleted it.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #932
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,145
naked RB 8 and floor piece

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #933
g容g
Canadian living in exile

alternator failure analysis

LINK

Old 06-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #934
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
alternator failure analysis

LINK
Good link, thanks. The history of that particular alternator design is a nice insight into parts development on an F1 car. And it answered the question it raised in my mind: they are permitted to change engine appendages (alternator, water pump, etc.) without penalty (though, presumably not in parc ferme.)

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #935
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Was off camping in the bush last weekend and just got a chance to watch the race.
Really wish they'd drop Valencia off the calendar, it's always just such a boring race.

And it's always Hamilton's fault, just as a rule of thumb.
Dilligaf0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #936
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Watching them on the pit wall, patting Vettel on the head like a pet dog reinforces my feelings about the kid.
Dilligaf0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #937
wxwax
Excited Member

An interesting off week.

First, the German banker is convicted of corruption: pocketing $44 million of Bernie's money. Immediately, everyone wonders if the Germans would now charge Bernie with bribery. He remains under investigation.

The next day Bernie artfully takes the spotlight off of his legal issues by pretending he'd sponsor a London Grand Prix. In a flash, a trivial PR stunt by McLaren sponsor Santander turns into a major story. Good job, Bernie.

Lastly, Santander produces a video of their pretend-race which highlights the problems with city tracks. Even a route picked for its scenic interest, going past all sorts of London landmarks, becomes an anonymous concrete canyon. Even worse, the dolts run their pretend-race at night, thus making the landmarks very hard to see. Dummies!

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #938
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,654
Very bad testing crash for Marussian this morning. Maria de Villota. After some straight line aero testing, apparently she was coming into their pit area and the speculation is that the anti-stall kicked in and accelerated her under the loading platform of the team's lorry. Head and facial injuries that were initially reported as life threatening.

The anti-stall kicks in when the driver slows and the ECU detects the revs falling too far. It puts the throttle at 50% to keep the engine from stalling. Usually the drivers have the car in neutral by that point and it's a non-issue, but it is suspected that on only her second test, she may have been caught out. Seems a little odd to me that the functionality could be engaged while a gear is selected, but I am not completely sure of it's full parameters.

Best thoughts for her.

Quote:
Motor racing-De Villota seriously injured after crash
Tue Jul 3, 2012 4:19pm IST
* De Villota taken to hospital

* Car hits parked truck at airfield

* Injuries said to be 'life-threatening' (Adds ambulance service statement)

By Alan Baldwin

LONDON, July 3 (Reuters) - Spanish female Formula One test driver Maria De Villota was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries after her Marussia car hit a parked truck at an airfield in eastern England.

The Marussia team said in a statement that De Villota, who was testing the car for the first time, was injured after completing an installation run at Duxford airfield at around 0810 GMT.

"Maria has been transferred to hospital. Once her medical condition has been assessed a further statement will be issued," the team added.

East of England ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson said in a separate statement that the driver had "sustained life-threatening injuries" and was at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge.

BBC Cambridgeshire presenter Chris Mann, who was at the Imperial War Museum-owned airfield for the straight-line test, said the car "inexplicably accelerated" into the back of the team's parked support truck.

"The driver's helmet was impacted on the side of the truck," he reported. "It just happened suddenly, a very shocking incident.

"The car slowed down as you see happens during a grand prix, for it to then be reversed into the pits which was actually a tent. But at the last second it just suddenly accelerated again so by the time it hit the truck, it was doing 30 or 40 miles an hour."

Mann said De Villota, 32, was trapped in the car for a considerable time with emergency services attending her immediately.

"It appeared to me that she wasn't moving for about 10 or 15 minutes. We saw her move her hands after about a quarter of an hour and it took almost an hour for the ambulance (staff) to feel confident to take her out of the car."

The driver is the daughter of former F1 racer Emilio De Villota.

She was appointed test driver of Russian-licensed Marussia in March, making her the only woman in such a role at the time although Williams have since handed a similar development role to Suzie Wolff.

De Villota has raced in various series and tried out a Renault Formula One car last August.

Marussia's race regulars are German driver Timo Glock, who missed the last grand prix in Valencia through illness, and Frenchman Charles Pic.

The team have no reserve driver and De Villota lacks the necessary super-licence for the role. (Editing by Ed Osmond)

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #939
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Very bad testing crash for Marussian this morning. Maria de Villota. After some straight line aero testing, apparently she was coming into their pit area and the speculation is that the anti-stall kicked in and accelerated her under the loading platform of the team's lorry. Head and facial injuries that were initially reported as life threatening.

The anti-stall kicks in when the driver slows and the ECU detects the revs falling too far. It puts the throttle at 50% to keep the engine from stalling. Usually the drivers have the car in neutral by that point and it's a non-issue, but it is suspected that on only her second test, she may have been caught out. Seems a little odd to me that the functionality could be engaged while a gear is selected, but I am not completely sure of it's full parameters.

Best thoughts for her.

Wow, electronics by Toyota.
Hope she's gonna be OK.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #940
wxwax
Excited Member

Doyle, thanks for the explanation. I'd been trying to figure out what had happened. Very sad. I hope she recovers, isn't brain impaired and isn't disfigured. That's a lot to hope for, I suppose. Best wishes.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #941
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,189
Quote:

Best thoughts for her.
Audio of crash, HERE.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #942
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Very bad testing crash for Marussian this morning. Maria de Villota.

Best thoughts for her.
Read this morning that her injuries are still life threatening, and the she is going to loose her right eye... That is absolutely horrible.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #943
wxwax
Excited Member

Ugh, that's terrible. End of her career, beginning of a struggle to adapt to a new kind of life. Worse things are happening in the world, but I feel really bad for her.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #944
g容g
Canadian living in exile

getting ready for the next GP!

Toro Rosso sidepod & exhaust

Red Bull on the set-up rig

Williams

Lotus

Williams with a McLaren style exhaust

Old 07-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #945
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Big John goes for the upgrade...

just in case Maldonado is looking to run him off the track again