User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #46
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Day 8 continued

I was a little apprehensive as I approached the gate. Very prevalently posted on one of the windows there was a sign that said something to the effect of, "All pass holders must show ID". As it turns out, the ranger/lady wasn't born yesterday (or within the last half century either). Needless to say, she didn't buy my line of BS and let me know that if the bike went in I would have to pay admission. She seemed upset that someone at another park would have given me bad information. In all honesty, that other ranger didn't give us bad information - we just tried to push the truth envelope a little bit. She was really nice about it, and even apologized to my wife (when she got to the gate) for the situation.

At that point I felt like a real jerk. In the long run, the only thing I regretted was trying to con her with a load of crap.There was a small parking area next to the shack, and she agreed to let me park there. With a secure place to park the bike - being together in the Support Vehicle ended up being a better way for us to enjoy the park anyway.

After securing the Wee, we drove to the Visitor's Center

...got our passport stamped, and got a sticker for the side cases (more on stickers later).

Then we walked over to the Lodge

This doofus couldn't buy a clue and wouldn't get out of the shot

The back of the Lodge was spectacular.

The views from back there were even better:

The Support Team Leader busted me for taking this photo

....What? it was a cool looking rock.

We wolfed down a light lunch out of the cooler, then drove to several overlooks

We thought the ridge in the above picture looked like a fat man (who needed a manzier) with a leaking belly-button

I think our favorite overlook was Cape Royal

After a short hike

...we came across about as cool of a sight as there is...

See the people on top?

A little closer

...and a little closer

That was our first glimpse of the Colorado River - Through the keyhole

From on top. We tried to wave our arms to make a shadow - to confirm we were on top of the hole. It didn't work. The plateau was too enormous and our shadows were too insignificant to see.

Some more random views:

Overall impression of the North Rim:
It was Absolutely Amazing!

I visited the south rim as a boy of about 8. I remembered it to be very hot, dry, and colorless. The north rim was the opposite; it was extremely colorful, had pleasant temps, and was just incredible.

We backtracked north, picked the bike back up, then headed into Utah

...where not only did we have a cool room

...we even thought the bathroom was cool.

But cool room aside, the best thing about the hotel....

My new chain and sprockets were waiting for me at the front desk!

Through the help of an inmate in the regional forum, I located a mechanic in Cedar City (the next nights stop) to swap out my chain and sprockets. They would be expecting me.

Only one more day until I could stop worrying about the bike.

guitarhack screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 09:00 AM
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #47
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,717
Enjoying the RR, thanks for sharing,
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #48
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 702
Really enjoying your ride report and pictures, your family will bank a lot of fond memories!

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #49
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Dang It!

I just spent about 10 minutes responding to all of you comments - then lost them!

ARGH!

guitarhack screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 04:36 AM
Old 06-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #50
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,248
well i just read all 4 pages... THANKS for taking us along

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #51
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the kind words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post
Wassup Brad? Utah sucks, don't it?
Dave,

Utah was a total BLAST. The scenery was just magnificent. And I have you to thank for the inspiration to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub View Post
Subscribed great report looking foreward to more
Thanks Chub. I have really enjoyed writing this up. It has helped me clarify and reflect on the memories. ...sort of like a diary. I think I will enjoy it for years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
Enjoying the RR, thanks for sharing,
Thanks Rog. It sounds cliched, but the pleasure is all mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Really enjoying your ride report and pictures, your family will bank a lot of fond memories!
I think you're right. One surprise I have discovered while writing this RR; I have really enjoyed the "Banking" dividends after reflecting on the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2C View Post
well i just read all 4 pages... THANKS for taking us along
Thanks bud. I have been on this site for several years and thought it was time I contribute something other than snarky comments and nonsense. So far, the exercise has been selfishly rewarding.

Upcoming: one of my favorite / funny moments riding
Old 06-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #52
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhack View Post
You must be one hard ass to ride on those beads... Doesn't that hurt after a bit?
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #53
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 160
facebook ride

Hi Ijust read your report. Iliked the stories The colo and utah photos were memoriey refreshers .Next trip go to Box Canyon Falls Ouray Colo.
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #54
marcopolo27
The Tiny Ship was Tossed!

Oddometer: 160
A fantastic RR - have thoroughly enjoyed the pics and your writing. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #55
sgio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Thanks for bring me along!

I am really enjoying your report. Thanks
sgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #56
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 279
Fantastic. great pictures and writing. Thanks !!
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #57
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 9

Friday, June 8th
Mileage: ~ 100

Today, we really had only one major objective: get the chain and sprockets replaced.

Luckily we didn't have far to go. I plugged the dealership's address into the Garmin before going to bed the night before, and after the standard free hotel breakfast (that we were growing sick of) off we went. A couple of hours later we wind up in a very nice, tiny, little town - that had nothing even close to resembling a motorcycle shop. It dawned on me that the night before there were two locations that matched the address I plugged in. So I plugged in the other address and discovered that we only had a few more miles to go.

On the way, we ran into a little traffic; in the form of sheep.

We were stuck behind this little cattle...er, I mean "sheep drive" for quite some time. There wasn't a safe way to get through them, and they were heading in the same direction that we were. So for several minutes we just had to follow along.

I have something to confess: had this happened while I was riding at home, I would have been PISSED.

I am not blessed with patience, and was looking forward to getting to the dealer and getting the chain issue resolved. But, this cluster-____ had me laughing for minutes. Not only were the little critters a riot to watch (they kept trying to break out of the pack to nibble on plants), but I think "vacation mode" had finally sunken in for me. Time just didn't matter. I wish I could operate on that zero-pressure level every day....

Finally one of the guys on a 4-wheeler plows a path for us and we are again on our way

So Gretta Garmin routes us right past our hotel and lands us at the dealer. They were great. They figured out who I was when I walked through the door and got me written up and the bike in the bay within minutes. They told me to come back in a couple of hours and off we went in the Support Vehicle. We checked into the hotel and did laundry. By the way, doing laundry at a hotel is EXPENSIVE, but I digress.

After a couple of hours we went back to the dealer and the rest of the team went back to the hotel. The bike wasn't ready, so I plopped my butt into a chair in their showroom and killed time (by way of my android) on ADV. I was excited to see iDave had written a new installment on his latest RR and started reading. If you have seen his writing you can relate to what I am about to say... Dave is a great / passionate writer - and in the RR he shares a painful story of recently losing his beloved dog. I am a dog lover. (My dog is my shadow and is laying on the sofa next to me as I write this.) And well, the tears started flowing right there on the showroom floor. There is no telling what the folks there thought was wrong with the lunatic wanting his chain fixed .

In time, the bike was done. The mechanic and I talked for a few minutes, and before I left he cautioned me to not take it on the highway for 50 miles or so - just in case there were any problems. WTF? I appreciate the honesty, but what problems are you expecting (I am thinking to myself). SUPER, just when I thought my overly paranoid mind could stop worrying, this guy plants a seed of a problem in my mind. I put it out of my head, and out of my head it stayed. The chain and sprockets problem was over.

I rode back to the hotel and we did some exploring.

Zion National Park has two separated sections. We were staying near a less visited one called Kolob Canyons. It was beautiful.

This section of the park is just barely buffered from the interstate by mountains. It was super-convenient for us to get to. Of course, we stopped at the Visitor's Center and got our passport stamped, then we started driving into the canyon.

I really appreciated the color of the pavement. It fit in perfectly with the natural surroundings.

Everything was just picture perfect

This picture (well really none of my pictures do).. This pictures does not do this site justice. This layer of strata was huge and visible for miles

After stopping at several overlooks...

...we took a short hike

I may have mentioned this already... Cacti seemed to be blooming wherever we went on this trip.

After hiking to an overlook, Christina finds a rock with her name on it..

...and chills out

Throughout the park, the views were exceptional

On the trial ...

...there were numerous signs, placed in strategic spots, imploring people to stay on the trail.

In general, people are clueless. Unfortunately, the signs didn't appear to be 100% effective. ..but, for the most part, I really believe people are getting better in our parks. All in all, they looked great.

Anyway, we hiked back to the car and enjoyed the views

We got back to the hotel and I plugged in - to charge up for another day

Tomorrow, more Zion

guitarhack screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 03:28 PM
Old 07-01-2012, 04:17 AM   #58
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjackson View Post
You must be one hard ass to ride on those beads... Doesn't that hurt after a bit?
I know they look like they might be hard to sit on, but those beads are awesome. Monkey butt is a thing of the past.

I have had them for several years and don't realize they are even there - they just work. That being said, without them the trip would have been miserable.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:39 AM   #59
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
GH, this looks like it was a great trip. Lovin' every minute of it. Thanks for taking us along. Now quit referring to it as BORING. Its anything but.

As a former resident of Omaha, NE I am NOT looking forward to getting across Kansas next week when I head out to CO for a similar trip (minus the Grand Canyon unfortunately). But those long straight fast dirt roads are kinda calling to me at the same time...
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #60
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhack View Post
I know they look like they might be hard to sit on, but those beads are awesome. Monkey butt is a thing of the past.

I have had them for several years and don't realize they are even there - they just work. That being said, without them the trip would have been miserable.
Nice, I might have to give them a crack... I was using an airhawk back home but they are not cheap.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote