User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #31
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,293
TM motor

Here is a picture of the TM MX 450Fi 4T engine...sure look similar.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #32
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Great link Gian, thought I'd post them up for everyone to see

thoughts everyone? I'm not sure about the separate radiator shrouds, a bit too form over function for me...

The rest of the bodywork looks very sleek, loving the huge intake for the oil cooler
Photochopped screen
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #33
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
Photochopped screen
yeah, noticed that.. maybe they want a translucent blue screen a la EXP-2?

Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #34
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
hahahah, laughing my head off, they started with a trellis frame and ended up with this

Looks a lot better then the pics of the trellis framed whale I have seen. I guess it's just a TM frame after all

Go Bordone .
Old 06-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #35
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Looks a lot better then the pics of the trellis framed whale I have seen. I guess it's just a TM frame after all .
are you sure? TM frames are perimetric aluminum...

the one on the rally bike looks steel tubular with a similar design to the GX / Husky Speedbrain of '12....
but bear in mind the pics above may not be the final version of the bike
Old 06-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #36
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,850
Thumb Ta-da....!!! The masterpiece is uncloaked...!

Quote:
Great link Gian, thought I'd post them up for everyone to see

thoughts everyone? I'm not sure about the separate radiator shrouds, a bit too form over function for me...

The rest of the bodywork looks very sleek, loving the huge intake for the oil cooler
good one Brodo/Gian... It is certainly a trick looking bit of gear! Here are just a few arbitrary armchair observations to get the ball rolling from moi...

Radiator shrouds... ja, well... I'm a little on the same page as Brodovitch on these as well to be honest. It appears that they have gone with a single core radiator (for sure it offers a good large cooling area/capacity, simplified plumbing etc.) along similar lines to KTM's 450 RR... as opposed to two seperate radiators (like are on most enduro/mx platform bikes). And it's true, many times in rally circles, simpler is better.

But as this bike features what appears to be a single backbone/downtube chassis (the radiator is not nestled in between the frame rails of a trellis chassis; as is the case on say - the KTM 690/450 RR), it seems to me that the radiator is somewhat "out there in the breeze" as far as crash damage is concerned?

As Brodo points out, the radiator shouds appear to be nothing more than a flash of coloured plastic fixed to the sides. With the apparent lack of any sort of radiator shield/support bar, I would be of the impression that any significant crash action (on either side) would fold the relatively fragile core back onto the down tube, like an aluminium banana around a steel post, pretty easily. Given that it is a single radiator confuguration, that means than any crash, on either side of the bike... there is the significant risk of damaging the cooling system substantially.

The engineering pundits could always argue, that although a two radiator cooling system is a little more complicated (pluming wise), it minimises the risk of a total cooling system failure by 50%... As many times a rider can plug or disconect one side (in the event of a crash/damage) and at least continue with one core in tact.

As this is a "work in progress", it will be interesting to see if any developments in this regards, turn up on the coming evolutions?

The rest of the bike looks very sleek an minimalist. The rear fuel cell/guard seems inspired by several design cues from the 450 RR.

One imagines that the linear rate rear steel rod, will eventually be updated with a suitable rear damper from say... Öhlins, Sachs, Paoli, WP...? To perforn the rear suspension duties...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashmoto View Post
There's also the fact that TM have a pretty well-established background of producing 'crate' engines to sell to other people. Whereas I expect going to KTM and saying "I'd like twenty 450RR motors please" may not be too successful.
^^^^ This is true. The TM engine package makes the B/F team into a true competitor of KTM... not a customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
Photochopped screen
For the purposes of the "reveal" the imaged screen does the job. I guess they will produce a final moulded component as the project draws to completion. One interesting observation is that the "nav tower" still appears to be designed along the traditional "high roadbook" school of thought... whereas on a number of the recently developed 450 bike (Helders new YZF 450 bike at Qatar, the speedbrain Husky's and the preview photo's of the new GasGas 450) there seems a tendancy to be "lowering" the towers somewhat, in order to improve visability forward in technical terrain.

This also is possibly an area we will see some subtle changes/refinements, as they move to the final product.

All in all it is a pretty good looking machine... and definately worthy of the Bordone Ferrari teams claims that they are developing their own bike/platform to compete in rallies with. Kudos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #37
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

We've been framed...!

Quote:
the one on the rally bike looks steel tubular with a similar design to the GX / Husky Speedbrain of '12....
but bear in mind the pics above may not be the final version of the bike
I mentioned the trellis frame thing (that Dutchie touched on) but for different reasons.

The frame on the rally bike pictured - as Brodo points out - appears to be a steel single backbone/downtube cradle design... and not dissimilar to the Speedbrain solution at first glance. It would seem they have chosen not to go with a full aluminium chassis - as comes on the TM 450 enduro/MX models.

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 06-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #38
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,711
I don't see a downtube on the bike? Could someone point it out o me?
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #39
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

A cool bike with plenty of air to pass behind the radiator shrouds vs fuel capacity. It looks like they found the right solution, isnt it a single low height radiator across the front of the bike?

Looks like it will breath fresh air with ease, I am guessing here but the max with of the bike is down low, the bottom of the front tanks and the radiator shrouds sit a little 'inwards', covered in a way by the bottom of the tanks.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #40
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
I don't see a downtube on the bike? Could someone point it out o me?
On closer scrutiny... the black tube I mistakenly took (at first glance) to be a frame downtube... may well be a radiator hose. (behind the radiator - from rear 3/4 view in the middle photo).

I did say it was an "armchair observation" - after all...

As Brodovitch's reference earlier... the B/F frame could well be similar to the Speedbrain design.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 06-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #41
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

No I think you were right the first time Troy, It looks like a support from the frame to hold the front part of the engine (check the first and third pics, it ends right in front of the ignition coil cover).

So, what time is the damn presentation? All this speculating might be for naught if this isn't the final version
(good way to kill a friday afternoon though)
Old 06-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #42
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
So, what time is the damn presentation? All this speculating might be for naught if this isn't the final version
(good way to kill a friday afternoon though)
I'd sure be nice to be there in person to check it out and dribble over it... instead of our keyboards eh Brodo...?

Quote:

Quote:
Old 06-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #43
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,711
I see what you are talking about now. It doesn't look like one downtube in front of the engine though but 2 downtubes on both sides of it. I don't think there is a cradle under it so the engine can just be dropped out the bottom for service.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #44
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
I'd sure be nice to be there in person to check it out and dribble over it... instead of our keyboards eh Brodo...?
Hell yes

I'm still banging my head against the wall after I passed on a chance to go do some promo work
in Sardegna, I'm kidding myself that I could have probably blagged a presentation invite and stayed an extra day with some friends in Milan..

but

Rally Albania set my workflow back by about 2 weeks... struggling to catch up, and only making excuses to lurk on here
Old 06-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #45
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=3&permPage=1