Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #5071
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Time for another break,

this time to defleece.

In the above pitcher, can anyone tell me why the grass on either side of the trail is different and there's no sage bushes? It's as if it had been mowed once upon a time, but I can't imagine that's the case as there were rocks and such that wouldn't have made that easy.

By the way, I think a runway may have been the explanation for yesterday's wide graded section.

Maybe it's done so that in photographs which include motorcyclists, they stand out with better contrast against the lighter colored grass:

Here's another view:

and a closer look at the actual trail:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #5072
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Going to our "Happy place"

By this point, we'd been riding what Dave refers to as "sustained" technical riding for the whole morning, and we were starting to get tired. Morale was flagging. Riding was getting sloppy.

During our pre-ride briefing I'd mentioned that we'd be passing a place called "Happy Camp", and LDF latched onto it like a 4-year old in the back seat on the way to Orlando. "Are we at Happy Camp yet?" she'd ask over the intercom every mile or so. Finally, we'd arrived. Unfortunately, she was way ahead of me, and blasted past, so I stopped to take a pitcher.

KerTHUNK. I look down, and my front wheel is in a hole up to the axle:

Does this look like a Happy Camp to you?

didn't think so.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #5073
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The real

Llewelyn Moss tree...

as you can see,

this one comes complete with a vulture nest.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #5074
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Entry to the next special

required deconstructing and reconstructing a gerry-rigged double corral gate that took us about 20 minutes and forced us to scavenge wire and twine to make the fence / gate better than it was before.

the herd was ruled by this guy who gave us the stink-eye the whole time we were working on the gate:

Looking back on the corral:

Have I said I love the long sight-lines out here?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #5075
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Past Horsehead Mt.

into Dry Valley,

and onto Little Juniper Rd.

which was long, straight, and fast. Another lone tree:

I can't remember, I think we may have passed a car on this road. Or maybe I'm imagining it. We hadn't seen another soul all day.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #5076
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

With the higher speeds,

LDF called out a stop to refleece.

temps were cool, but it was perfect weather for riding. We finally snagged a glimpse of the Alkalai Lake valley where Hwy 395 was.

We were headed off into the far horizon towards Christmas Valley and Silver Lake beyond.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #5077
JackJack
Dulce Periculum

Oddometer: 391
"In the above pitcher, can anyone tell me why the grass on either side of the trail is different and there's no sage bushes? "

It's likely the areas where the grass is was once the road bed. During the wet season ruts get torn into the road and a new road bed is created by dodging the ruts. The old road bed, with it's ruts acting as catch basins for rain and run off, makes a good habitat for the thirsty grasses. The grasses grow quicker than sage, too, so they get to dominate the disturbed area. If you walked through the grasses, you may have even been able to feel out the old ruts. Or get snake bit. Snakes like grass.

I agree that the dark clouds really make plains visually stunning. I am thoroughly enjoying the vicarious travel, too!

JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #5078
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
I've had the pleasure of riding Xmas Valley/Silver Lake area a couple times when I lived in Central OR. Seeing these pics brings back so many fond memories. Makes me wish I'd taken the time to ride more of it. No riding like that is Georgia! Is Questor riding a DRZ too?

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #5079
Havingfun
the road less traveled...

Oddometer: 87
Excellent!

I'm not a regular poster as you can tell from my odometer but I do read a lot. Mobius reports I've read from Day 1. Excellent is about the best word to describe the adventure and the reports. I know many have said it before and I'll say it one more time, thanks for bringing us along.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #5080
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We hopped

on Hwy 395 to jog 4 miles south and pick up the dirt trail to continue west.

A couple miles past that, we turned off the graded gravel onto a one-lane, threaded Twin Buttes,

followed shortly by a turn onto this:

and just like that, our little liason section was over.

LDF went down, and a cloud of something burst forth. When Dave & I rolled up she was asking, "what caught my wheel?" Anyone wanna guess?

Old 06-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #5081
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

More details

on the "Horseshit incident"

Sheep Rock:

I'd penciled in a waypoint marking a possible shorter route... my plan was to gather ground intel and decide which road to take, the shortcut:

or the longer way:

we took the longer.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #5082
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

it was plenty rugged

it went on like this for miles...

Fandango Canyon road would be the final obstacle before Christmas Valley.

and at the rate we were going, Xmas Valley seemed to be a reasonable destination. It would require a 4-mile out & back from our route, but we were running out of energy.

I think somewhere in here was that bizarre red & white cattle guard that had the potential to launch you into orbit. No pics. And this being used to hold the gate closed:

Old 06-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #5083
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This was at the

turnoff to Xmas Valley:

We found the motel, and snagged the last couple rooms. There were some hunters gathered in the parking lot. It wasn't hunting season for anything, but they'd arranged with a local farmer to hunt squirrels in the fields from little squirrel blinds. It sounded more like target practice than anything.

We fueled up, got groceries, showered, and went to the Feed Barn,

for an awesome pizza and beer.

Some of the hunters were there and asking about our trip. Good vibes.

We capped things off with a piece of home-made peanut-butter cream pie.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #5084
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 6 stats:

Almost a thousand miles in the books!

.GPX track file can be downloaded from here.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #5085
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Speaking of tires, we'll be sporting rear trials tires for M10. Pirelli MT43's
I'll be curious to hear how you like them, and what sort of mileage you get.

What tires are you running for Mobius 9 ?