ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #46
kmann51
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Great Northwest
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
wow that's what I call bad luck! did you finally keep it?
See my response #10 in this thread. I've got about 600 miles, mostly offroad, with a Q4 FMF slip-on and stock air filter. Runs great in the normal map. Don't care for the advanced map as it seems on or off with some flat spots on the gas. I just now put a K&N filter on it and will try it out this afternoon. Overall happy with the bike and will be a lot happier when I get my Garmin Montana 650 sorted out with proper maps and Ram mount.
BTW the bike seems to get about 45 mpg which is good enough for my riding. The pavement manners with the MT21's is very acceptable as well. Will use these tires again.
__________________
More cowbell
kmann51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #47
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50
 
blackSP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Oddometer: 450
Originally Posted by ramjet
According to my dealer today-nothing available for the Akra on a 2012.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurizio View Post

Flash the '12 SMR R akra maps, they're the same as for the Enduro R

===============

I'm at 5000kms now and I think my oil pressure sensor is busted. The pressure light stays on for about 2 minutes. Restarting the engine makes it go away for the rest of the day.
I need a new a sensor...

===============
__________________
2014 KTM 450 EXC - 2013 Harley-Davidson XL 1200 C

b l a c k S P e c i a l s
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #48
Kirkster
Parts Murderer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Peoples Republic of MD
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post
Originally Posted by ramjet
According to my dealer today-nothing available for the Akra on a 2012.






Flash the '12 SMR R akra maps, they're the same as for the Enduro R

===============

I'm at 5000kms now and I think my oil pressure sensor is busted. The pressure light stays on for about 2 minutes. Restarting the engine makes it go away for the rest of the day.
I need a new a sensor...

===============
I think my pressure sensor is on its way out also... First started acting up a little bit ago and will come on when at idle now...
__________________
TAT 2013 the "I'm Just Sayin" tour
BMW 2007 R1200R
2012 KTM 690 R
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #49
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50
 
blackSP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Oddometer: 450
I really hope it is that cause I rode a 1000km rally with it...
__________________
2014 KTM 450 EXC - 2013 Harley-Davidson XL 1200 C

b l a c k S P e c i a l s
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #50
ktmspecial
n00b
 
ktmspecial's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Woodinville, Wa
Oddometer: 5
BlackSP -

Thanks for the tip on using the Akra flash for the 2012's. Which map did you specifically use because when I look at the available list on TuneECU, i'm only seeing the 3 options:
  1. one with standard exhuast.
  2. one with EVO 1
  3. one iwth EVO 2
So not seeing any that specifically call out using aftermarket exhaust. For reference, on my 2012 enduro R, I've got the EVO 1 filter top with K&N filter and then I have the FMF Q4 slip on pipe (versus full akra set up).

Feel like I'm missing something simple here, but appreciate your advice/suggestion.

Thanks!
__________________
Jesse

2000 KTM 300 EXC
2004 KTM 625 SMC
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750 (race bike)
1998 Suzuki TLR1000 (Sunday bike)
2004 Yamaha PW50 (starter bike for my 2 boys)
ktmspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:25 AM   #51
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.
 
CanadianX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmspecial View Post
BlackSP -

Thanks for the tip on using the Akra flash for the 2012's. Which map did you specifically use because when I look at the available list on TuneECU, i'm only seeing the 3 options:
  1. one with standard exhuast.
  2. one with EVO 1
  3. one iwth EVO 2
So not seeing any that specifically call out using aftermarket exhaust. For reference, on my 2012 enduro R, I've got the EVO 1 filter top with K&N filter and then I have the FMF Q4 slip on pipe (versus full akra set up).

Feel like I'm missing something simple here, but appreciate your advice/suggestion.

Thanks!
Just put a FMF on my 2012 as well and will be changing out the air filter. Haven't changed the tune yet but with the TPS relearn and 15 min idle is seems to be running smoother. Looking for the answer to your question as well.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:31 AM   #52
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer
 
MookieBlaylock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: IntheeaglewingpalaceoftheQueenChinee
Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Just put a FMF on my 2012 as well and will be changing out the air filter. Haven't changed the tune yet but with the TPS relearn and 15 min idle is seems to be running smoother. Looking for the answer to your question as well.
i haven't learned tune ecu yet because i used tuneboy but getting the right fueling made the bike even better
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #53
4Lo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 28
Looking to put the FMF Q4 on my 2012 Enduro. Is it the same part number as the previous years? I can't seem to find a 2012 specific application. Thanks.
4Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #54
ktmspecial
n00b
 
ktmspecial's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Woodinville, Wa
Oddometer: 5
Update here.....

I loaded the EVO 1 map today and I can only echo what BlackSP said.....IT WORKS GREAT! All of the twitchyness and lack of power with the OEM map is gone. The bike is butter smooth all through the revs, pulls hard from down low and with stock gearing it actually power wheelies in 3rd gear....that blew me away!

Technically this map doesn't state it's for an aftermarket exhuast so maybe there is even more coming when better maps come out, but all I can say is this is a night and day improvement and well worth doing.

Regarding the FMF pipe, I can confirm that you can buy the ones listed for prior years and it bolts right up......I have a friend with an 2010 Enduro so was able to confirm fitting prior to ordering, but rest assured it will fit.

Enjoy fellas.....
__________________
Jesse

2000 KTM 300 EXC
2004 KTM 625 SMC
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750 (race bike)
1998 Suzuki TLR1000 (Sunday bike)
2004 Yamaha PW50 (starter bike for my 2 boys)
ktmspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #55
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.
 
CanadianX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmspecial View Post
Update here.....

I loaded the EVO 1 map today and I can only echo what BlackSP said.....IT WORKS GREAT! All of the twitchyness and lack of power with the OEM map is gone. The bike is butter smooth all through the revs, pulls hard from down low and with stock gearing it actually power wheelies in 3rd gear....that blew me away!

Technically this map doesn't state it's for an aftermarket exhuast so maybe there is even more coming when better maps come out, but all I can say is this is a night and day improvement and well worth doing.

Regarding the FMF pipe, I can confirm that you can buy the ones listed for prior years and it bolts right up......I have a friend with an 2010 Enduro so was able to confirm fitting prior to ordering, but rest assured it will fit.

Enjoy fellas.....
Thanks for the update, might give the EVO 1 a go as well.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #56
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50
 
blackSP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Oddometer: 450
Strange that they have removed the SMC (+ Enduro) R Akra version.
That version is, if you ask me, better suited for the Akra + normal air filter cover + duo foam filter.

The Evo 1 is like that but for the open air filter cover and I think the bike would be running too rich like that with the stock cover (stock sucks less air).

I have uploaded the original 2012 SMC (+ Enduro) R Akra maps here. Check 'm out!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14982578/akraSMCREPMap.hex
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14982578/akraSMCRFIMap.hex
__________________
2014 KTM 450 EXC - 2013 Harley-Davidson XL 1200 C

b l a c k S P e c i a l s

blackSP screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 07:57 AM
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #57
4Lo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 28
Probably a dumb question, but how do you load these maps? I have tuners in my force induced Jeep and my Cummins truck. And I've had Power Commanders on superbikes. So is it pretty much the same concept? If so, where do you get the tuner or cable?
Please excuse my lack of knowledge. My 690 is still on a transport. So I haven't seen it net. Thanks!
4Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #58
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50
 
blackSP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Oddometer: 450
Same concept. You download TuneECU, open the maps, flash them while being connect to the bike with a cable you can purchase on the Internet.
__________________
2014 KTM 450 EXC - 2013 Harley-Davidson XL 1200 C

b l a c k S P e c i a l s
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #59
4Lo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 28
Rode my new 2012 Enduro for the first time today! 120 miles of mixed twisties and dirt up to 11,000 ft. All I can say is WOW! This thing handles waaay better than my '08 530 ECX-R. Much more comfortable too!

But a couple concerns...

1) The initial throttle off of idle feels clumsy during short blips. Like it fumbles a little and it seems that larger twists are required for smooth takeoff. I'm used to riding motocross style so little blips are in my nature. Hmmm... ?

2) One time, on Goldcamp (no really)... the thing popped and the FI light came on and it stalled out. Being in the middle of nowhere, I was like, aw shit! But I turned the thing off, waited a couple minutes, re-fired it and it was perfect the rest of the day. WTF? Hmmm... whatever.

3) I plan to get the Euro tail and some small LED turn signals. But for now, I eliminated the fender thingy and tried my luck with some aluminum tape on the lower half of the OEM turn signal to keep it from melting. Holy shit! It worked like a charm! Simple fix I guess.




I am also pleased to report that I got 65 miles out of the very first gallon burned! Pretty respectable I would say, especially at high altitude.

4Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #60
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer
 
SKINNY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 641
Check the under seat switch to see what map is selected. Your owners manual will tell you where to look and the settings. The stock muffler/nuclear reactor is partly to blame for poor throttle reponse...it will have better low-end response with a Wings or FMF or LeoVince...and you won't melt/set fire to nearly as many objects. Back fires thru the intake seem to be an issue with the 2012 models...my 2008 has never done it, but my 2012 has had several episodes. Check the throttle body to make sure it hasn't been partially blown off the intake stub...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014