Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo600 View Post
You don't know me and I don't know you. However your wonderful photos make it clear we love the same things! Your photos are alive and really capture the spirit of the bike and ride... Good work The Triumph rider grinning ear to ear in the snow and cold is classic.

I have to say +1.
Great work!
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Excellent photos Dave, I hope you'll still throw us a bone over in the tenere thread.

But either way I'll be looking in, good work.

Has anybody ever told you, you look like Tommy Chong?
true grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:02 AM   #18
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post

p.s. glad to finally see knobbies on an ST. Was beginning to think them too fragile
Take a look over in the Tenere thread, there's a few guys riding these things well past what I want to do on one. Although I accidentally got in a bit over my head this weekend and got a chance to see what she's made of Pics to follow..

Quote:
Originally Posted by true grip View Post
Excellent photos Dave, I hope you'll still throw us a bone over in the tenere thread.

Has anybody ever told you, you look like Tommy Chong?
Yeah, I'll still throw some favorite photos up in the Tenere thread now and then, but I'll save the stories and extra snapshots for over here so I don't hog space in those threads.

Yeah I actually have heard that before

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

I usually try to avoid Tahoe.

Now that I have your attention let me explain. Lake Tahoe is a beautiful place, but generally when I ride one of my biggest priorities is to get away from people, and Tahoe is just to crowded for me. Probably why I haven't been there in years. For some reason it's been calling me lately to go explore some of the backroads in the area I've never taken the time to see before. Besides cool weather is rolling in and we've been having a bit of a heat wave for this early in the year.

Rolling out Saturday morning I head up hwy88 only to get stuck behind a Corvette club! These guys were worse than RVs, going well over the speed limits in the straights where I could make a safe pass and then throwing out an anchor in the corners. That's a whole other story, but I worked my way through them.

Coming in to Tahoe on 89 I made a turn on Upper Truckee Rd, this is the kind of road I love but way to short. Single lane tight turns and deep in the woods, only to open into a wonderful meadow that I just had to take in for a minute. My first stop of the day is looking good!

Following the the road further my plan was to see Fallen Leaf Lake, more specifically a waterfall right above the lake. Wow, perfect road, but WAY to many cars. Kind of a bittersweet. The falls were easy to spot right off the side of the road, my second stop for the day was again a winner. I hung out here for an hour or so climbing over the rocks and acting like a kid. I was thinking of coming back later in the day for some better light to photograph them, but thought I'd do my best while I was there.

Feeling pretty good about the day so far I was off to find Barker Pass Rd, a dirt road heading up into the hills above Tahoe on the West side. Unfortunately I missed the turnoff and wound up running into everything I hate about the area. Not my idea of good mountain riding...

Geez, I could've stayed in the city and got places quicker. Just about when my claustrophobia was starting to get the best of me I got on the right track and away from civilization. Quickly. The road quickly climbs in elevation and I was really starting to get into the moment. Threatening clouds up higher just added to the scene. I really should have stopped for more photos but was caught up in the riding.

There's the lake in the distance.

As I approach the Pass I ran in to some Jeepers that gave me some directions to a small lake that I wanted to check out. In the meantime I ran a number of forks just to see what was there. This view from the ridge was so impressive in person.

Not just the scenery, but the temperature dropped low enough to warrant heated gloves, and the wind was blowing so hard I felt the clouds were moving by as if I was in a plane. This to me is adventure riding, just being there to experience something so powerful making me feel so small. I realized I couldn't get a photo that would capture the awe I felt watching the clouds flow by so quick right above me, so for the first time ever I actually used my camera for video. I had no idea what I was doing since I never even read the handbook on how to use it, but hopefully a bit of the the moment comes through.

From here the road went deeper into the woods. PERFECT big bike stuff, just enough dirt to slide a little and feel like I'm doing something that maybe I wouldn't on a sportbike, and just remote enough to feel adventurous. No worries...enjoying the moment.

Backtracking some I went to the fork that should lead to Bear Lake. I would find out later this was actually the McKinney Creek OHV trail that runs down to the last five miles of the Rubicon. The road started showing some wear with deeper ruts and some rocky sections. Nothing to worry about, just enough to make me really glad. In fact I was feeling a bit proud of myself for getting into something a bit more technical. Here's a typical shot of the trail.

Of course you can't see the hill in the photo or the rocks but it was starting to go downhill. I took at least one close up of the surface, childs play for a dirtbike, but for a big bike loaded with lots of gear I had to start getting on my game some.

What happened next was a corner with a downhill that I really shouldn't have gone down. A few decent step offs had me wondering if I could make it back up if I needed to. If I knew what I was about to get into I would've turned around right there and tried.

The trail got progressively worse, steeper with bigger rocks and step ups. I now knew I was totally committed and I feared I would maybe find an obstacle I couldn't get around. Soon the rocks got technical enough that I couldn't ride like a wuss, it was time to take the bull by the horns and ride this thing like it was a 250. At this point I really just wanted to get through, but I couldn't help but be impressed how well the Tenere dealt with everything I was throwing at it. Of course riding in this manner means a crash could be really nasty, it wouldn't just be a tip over. I got plenty of use out of the skidplate. Then BAM!, an impact highcentered me on a rock for a second and as I started to highside my two stroke clutch hand somehow launched me back off it and down the trail. I really couldn't believe the zone I was in. And that the bike was fine with it.

I never thought I'd be happy to see the Rubicon Trail because it would be EASIER but I was. This of course was not the nasty sluicebox stuff on top but relatively mild trail, but still enough rock, mud puddles and a creek crossing or two to keep me on my toes. I stopped for a minute and smelled the disgusting fragrance of burning oil, and as I looked down I saw the rainbow color growing in the water I was in. CRAP. Knowing a I had few miles until pavement at the Rubicon trailhead, I was on a mission. I figured since my motor was a dry sump I should be good until the oil light comes on.

I felt dissapointed speeding by three gorgeous high sierra lakes and endless late day photo opportunities, but this was now a bonifide adventure. Creeks crossing that I'd usually check the depth first I just charged through on the gas. Gritting my teeth watching for the idiot light to come on I finally saw pavement! About 50 yards of pavement and the red light lit, clutch in, kill switch and my bike bled out it's last oil. I'm SO done.

O.K. plan "B". As I was gathering my thoughts a group of Unimog enthusiasts were just finishing up the Rubicon and were more than glad to help, in fact I think they kind of enjoyed it. I was told my NRA sticker on the bike gave me enough cred with them. One driver had just installed a hoist for changing his tires and was happy to use it to lift my bike on the rear of his rig. So besides an adventurous ride, I got to ride in a REALLY cool truck!

At camp

They took me back to their camp at Southshore. I just love the spirit of camaraderie on the trail. Nicest guys in the world made my problems their own. They put a beer in my hand, gave me a seat by the fire and insisted I enjoy some of the steak fajitas they just bar-b-qued. New friends I'll probably never see again but that's what makes the road special. I'll never forget.

A few shots of the damage from my garage.

Hey, who's in there?

Desert Dave screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 04:51 AM
Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #20
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Great report and even better pics...thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #22
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 789
Excellent RR. Damnage!

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #23
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Dave Dave Dave I was enjoying your ride so much then BAM. Isn't that life! Enjoy you pics and story. I believe it will be an easy fix too. Just an enconvenience and of course shopping for another bash plate. When does it end.Unimog guys were great. That had to lift your spirits it did mine. Get that fixed up and get back out there(my pep talk). Best Wishes Mark
true grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #24
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
After I started reading your R&R I have been lurking around the Tenere thread. From the little I know this is a common problem for the sump mounted skid plate, what will be your plan of attack for the repair and how will you change the skid mount for the furture?? As a long time Yamaha freak( from a Big Bear Scrambler in highschool to an 07 FZ1) the Super is on my radar for the next bike. Thanks for the report.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #25
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,084
GREAT stuff (as always) Dave!!!

You, sir, are one crazy son of a bitch!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #26
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by true grip View Post
Just an inconvenience and of course shopping for another bash plate. When does it end.Unimog guys were great. That had to lift your spirits it did mine. Get that fixed up and get back out there(my pep talk). Best Wishes Mark
Yeah, a little adversity usually brings out the best in people, reminds me the off road community is still a tight knit family. Seems street riders have lost that a bit and that's to bad, remember back when you saw a bike on the side of the road and you ALWAYS stopped to make sure the rider was good, no matter what he rode? I guess cell phones have changed that some. I miss that.

But yeah, my spirits never got down. I couldn't believe how perfect things worked out. I didn't mention the U-haul facility WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE of the camp that I rented a pack Van to get home. Funny but my non riding friends (and even a few who do) tell me I got lucky and "what if" the Mog guys weren't there, or "what if" I couldn't rent a truck, I don't know what I would have done, but somehow it always works out if I just decide to make it work and I would have done something

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
After I started reading your R&R I have been lurking around the Tenere thread. From the little I know this is a common problem for the sump mounted skid plate, what will be your plan of attack for the repair and how will you change the skid mount for the furture?? As a long time Yamaha freak( from a Big Bear Scrambler in highschool to an 07 FZ1) the Super is on my radar for the next bike. Thanks for the report.
I think it's going to be a problem on any bike that mounts a bash plate to the sump. To be fair to the SWmotech plate it took a number of slides and smaller hits just fine. The one that did it in was really a lot harder than I'd expect the plate to hold up to.

I'm looking into other options right now as it seems some plates are becoming available that mount to the frame only, and until adventure bikes start using downtube frames (or get back to them) I think this is the right direction.

Truth be told I didn't buy this bike with intentions of riding those kind of surfaces. So I think a little more wisdom on the Pilots part could go a long way to avoiding this situation But after really experiencing what this bike will do I understand why some are bent on making it a ralley-ish bike, I'd just want a support crew for when I screw up . Not to mention I had Jessies full of photo gear and other toys that probably don't appreciate this sort of rough treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post

You, sir, are one crazy son of a bitch!

Considering the source I take that as the greatest of compliments

Old 06-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #27
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,337
What's a little oil lose now and again...

As always.. the worst of drama makes for the best of campfire stories. And you've got some mad moto journalism skills. Fantastic photos, all of them. Taking what we thought we've seen before yet there's something very special about your imagery.

And riding a Super T down the end of the Rubicon trail... Now that's something.

Can't wait to see/ read more.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #28
muskeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Excellent...

I'm enjoying your efforts, your photography has come a long way! Keep it up.
muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #29
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Taking what we thought we've seen before yet there's something very special about your imagery.

And riding a Super T down the end of the Rubicon trail... Now that's something.
Thanks for the kind words, glad you're enjoying the thread.

I'm sure you know this already, (You did say the "end" of the Rubicon trail) but just for the record for other readers that only skim these reports, I want to make it clear that I wasn't on the part of The Rubicon that gives it it's nasty reputation as a world class Jeep trail capable of challenging the best. Anyone who has ridden a bike all the way through really had to earn the right to say they did

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
I'm enjoying your efforts, your photography has come a long way! Keep it up.

Amazing you remembered that post and pulled it up!

I still carry that same point and shoot as a backup and sometimes my only camera when I can't bring larger gear. It's funny how satisfying the journey has been so far.

WARNING: Storytime

I remember when I was roadracing and that was everything in my life. A friend of mine that was a lot faster than I quit right in his prime and I couldn't understand why. In a later conversation he explained to me that he was working at becoming a professional chef and that the new challenges of learning that craft were more inspirational than racing to him. I thought he was crazy.

Well here I am years later and I think I finally get it. The challenge of trying to master photography is new and fresh and if anything my riding skills are getting stale or even going backwards as I don't push the edge very often anymore. I don't want it to ever replace my joy for riding, but it's helping me see some of the same old rides in a whole new light.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #30
The_Scottsman
There's Beer here??

Oddometer: 102
Great photos! I don't get out much on rides, but you've inspired me! Thank you!
The_Scottsman is offline   Reply With Quote