Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #31
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
I'd rather spent that money on other upgrades. I wonder what $2000 of engine work could do? :)-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
One could do all this but it's really not a sports bike. I had the opportunity to open it up on some clear roads and it's no speed demon but totally fast ENOUGH.

Also I think a power commander might void your warranty so I will wait till mine runs out

You were the one that asked.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #32
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisan View Post
and we are still not further guys. The thread titels "how much for decent suspension.."

If and when the Bitubo's die, I am going the DIY route. How much a donor fork costs depends on my Ebay skills. Look in the stickys and you will see how others did it. Gangplank is happy with his at $500.

It will require some set up by some one who does it for a living. The machine work will be farmed out.

I will choose that route because some where in this morass it sounds like the most expensive choice (Ohlins) are not set up for you out of the box.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #33
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
and we are still not further guys. The thread titels "how much for decent suspension.."
There is no one single answer on price.
Where you buy the parts, prices may vary. Who does the work, prices may vary. And how much you feel you need to do, prices will vary.
You ask an open ended question.

I'll give my approximate cost total. Under $2000.
Although this is on my 658, comparisons can be made.
This included a Hyperpro shock (800 spec, very nice), WITH BLACK SPRING! LOL (No purple spring for me)
Around $800 for the shock alone.
Race Tech guts for adjustability, springs, oil and labor from a qualified suspension guy.
I had extras in my build with longer fork tubes and side & center stand extensions.

When you know what you want to do, and you have the money to do it... You do it. It is going to cost.
If you don't know what to do... Don't do it.

...RIDE THE BIKE!

Keep studying alexisan, there are more threads than this one on the subject.

Snowy....
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #34
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,499
Quote:
lol, there isn't a definitive answer. "Decent suspension" is defined by the user. You have a large number of options here that you can use.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #35
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615

If I was starting again from scratch I wouldn't rule out buying the 658 instead of the 800, as a new bike purchase.

Because in trying to build one for 2-up dirt touring I have had to replace the suspension anyway, and the 658 is a fair bit cheaper than the F800 anyway. It has a better low end and mid range, and is better on fuel.

Basically, the F650GS is cheaper by a margin large enough (well, they are here) to pay for all the suspension upgrades and other mods you want to make. Even factoring in spoked wheels.

For the same money as a F800, you'd have a fully set up 658. Same engine, same frame, same electronics, etc etc. With a spare set of road wheels.

Just a thought.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #36
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
About the most you could realistically spend is $4000USD. That includes parts, labor, and initial tuning.

How's that?
bxr140 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #37
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
I rode my GS8 for three years before making a suspension change. Given that you're piloting 500 pounds of machine over hill and dale, the stock bike works OK. Not great, but good enough to get you where you're going, as long as it's not some cow trail/mud hole/sand pit in the Red Center of Oz. That's it...it does OK. Ride it and see where you think it's weak...not where the ADV regulars do. It's your bike and if you've never ridden something like this in the rough, then climb aboard and your might be surprised.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #38
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post

If I was starting again from scratch I wouldn't rule out buying the 658 instead of the 800, as a new bike purchase.

Because in trying to build one for 2-up dirt touring I have had to replace the suspension anyway, and the 658 is a fair bit cheaper than the F800 anyway. It has a better low end and mid range, and is better on fuel.

Basically, the F650GS is cheaper by a margin large enough (well, they are here) to pay for all the suspension upgrades and other mods you want to make. Even factoring in spoked wheels.

For the same money as a F800, you'd have a fully set up 658. Same engine, same frame, same electronics, etc etc. With a spare set of road wheels.

Just a thought.
Sidebar question -- which bash plate is that?
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #39
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoody View Post
Sidebar question -- which bash plate is that?
SW Motech, although it looks different than the current picture on twisted throttle. 3mm vs a couple of brands who have 4mm aluminum.

Old & new, and the reason my 658 was lifted.

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #40
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
I rode my GS8 for three years before making a suspension change. Given that you're piloting 500 pounds of machine over hill and dale, the stock bike works OK. Not great, but good enough to get you where you're going, as long as it's not some cow trail/mud hole/sand pit in the Red Center of Oz. That's it...it does OK. Ride it and see where you think it's weak...not where the ADV regulars do. It's your bike and if you've never ridden something like this in the rough, then climb aboard and your might be surprised.
Thanks. Sounds very reasonable. So what did you do to your suspension after 3 years?
alexisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #41
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
So the topic was apt how much needs to be spend on alternative suspension.
Which alternatives are out there? And who has got experiences?
I think the alternatives have been discussed pretty well, between here and other threads.

How much to spend depends on how deep your pockets are and what you feel your needs are.

For myself, I ride 30-50% dirt/gravel roads in various conditions, usually potholes. The forest service roads here in TN are VERY different than what I have seen in CO, UT etc. we do not have the wide open road to tear down at high speed, 30-40 mph is not too unreasonable.

Riding like that I am now seeing the weakness in the suspension (about 5000-6000mi /year). the bike is very undersprung on both ends, and there is nothing that can be done for the valving.

I started doing some reading online, talking to friends and purchased Ned's suspension book (dualsportriding.com)

After all this I feel that to make me happier it will cost me about $2000, the ak-20 Traxxion kit is $1200 + $200 labor, I am told I can get a Wilburs shock for about $500.
Both of them are setup for the individual rider.

the Ohlins USA setup sounds great, but at $2000 for the forks and $800 for a shock, I can't believe I'll see that much more improvement, I'm not that good a rider.

I never got a response to an Email from Racetech, so they don't get my business.

There is no reson you can't buy the bike and ride it alot in stock conditions, you asked what could be done to the engine for $2000, that buys a lot of gas. Get it ride it and then worry about what YOU want to do.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #42
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
The $500 shock from Wilbers will be their low end model, only single adjustable.

If you want fully adjustable with hydraulic preload it will probably be in the $1000 range just like all other options.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #43
FinStorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
When replacing the shock to increase performance you have to keep in mind that F8GS has no linkage and may need a bottom-out circuit just like KTM dirt bikes. BMW call it WAD, others PDS. The 800 $ Öhlins don`t have it as far as I know. The new Touratech brand Tractive has it on their top of the line model, for 1275€.
FinStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #44
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
I'd keep the F800 stock, use it for the mellow stuff it was intended for, and buy a dirt bike. Even with the best suspension in the world it is still not as fun as a real dirt bike, a heavy pig to pick up, and expensive to repair after any kind of a fall. It's a fairly decent bike for that mellow stuff already. You can get up some fairly hard stuff if you do it right. I might buy bigger springs for mine, maybe not. I will know when I get back from the Yukon.
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #45
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinStorm View Post
When replacing the shock to increase performance you have to keep in mind that F8GS has no linkage and may need a bottom-out circuit just like KTM dirt bikes. BMW call it WAD, others PDS. The 800 $ Öhlins don`t have it as far as I know. The new Touratech brand Tractive has it on their top of the line model, for 1275€.
I got the Ohlins and if it has a bottom out circuit, mine doesn't work.

That was the issue with it from the beginning, and was addressed through revalving.

Not before it contributed, I believe, to bending 2 shock bolts.

It gave a very linear compression damping, and just seemed to blow through the last 1/3 of it's travel as quickly as the first 1/3.

For 2-up touring, which is what I told them it was for, I wouldn't bother buying Ohlins again, unless it was specifically valved for it with bottom out valving.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote