Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #31
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
this looks like a mailbox but is way up in a tree in the middle of nowhere.

a pilot that doesn't recognize airmail when he sees it

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #32
Laconic
Let's Get Primitive!

Oddometer: 14,583
I've seen that mailbox before.

I always get depressed when I ride through those dead and dying towns in West Virginia.

I'm enjoying your report.
Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #33
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Klaviator- great ride report- thanks for taking us along with you!
Thanks for following along. How's your scooter search going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
a pilot that doesn't recognize airmail when he sees it

My wife always tells me I'm not very observent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
I've seen that mailbox before.

I always get depressed when I ride through those dead and dying towns in West Virginia.

I'm enjoying your report.
You got a much better pic of the mailbox than I did.

I found WVA very interesting, not depressing. I do hope that those areas can find something to replace coal mining. Eastern WVA seems to have been able to attract a lot of tourists, especially motorcyclists. Maybe they can do the same thing in Southern WVA. With the addition of a few tourist facilities and some clever advertising, I would think that War and Coalwood could attract some tourism. War already has the War Hotel.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #34
Laconic
Let's Get Primitive!

Oddometer: 14,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I found WVA very interesting, not depressing. I do hope that those areas can find something to replace coal mining. Eastern WVA seems to have been able to attract a lot of tourists, especially motorcyclists. Maybe they can do the same thing in Southern WVA. With the addition of a few tourist facilities and some clever advertising, I would think that War and Coalwood could attract some tourism. War already has the War Hotel.
I didn't mean it was all depressing, just those towns that were hit especially hard by the joblessness. Heck, we just spent last weekend up in Marlinton.
Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:55 AM   #35
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
I didn't mean it was all depressing, just those towns that were hit especially hard by the joblessness. Heck, we just spent last weekend up in Marlinton.
I understand what your saying. Around 15 years ago I came down 16 with a friend. He found it depressing too. Most of these towns were built by the coal industry. Coal was a major factor in the economic growth of this country but coal mining is hard, dangerous work and judging by these towns, didn't pay all that well. Coal mining is decreasing in the face of environmental concerns as well as cheap natural gas so that source of income for these towns is going away.

Is the joblessness in this area worse than the rest of this country? I don't know. What I do know is that this part of WVA has a natural, rugged beauty that most parts of the country can't match. I hope the people of the area find a way to capitalize on that beauty. I believe that eventually they will.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 AM   #36
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After Welch i continued north on 16 passing through countless small towns as well as the city of Beckley and the New River Gorge area. Last time I came through here, if I remember right, 16 passed over the New River Bridge. It must have been rerouted and I ended up going over the Gauley river. I ended up missing the New River Bridge but at that point I didn't feel like going out of my way. I had underestimated how big WV was and also how slow my progress would be on these roads. Originally I was planning on cutting over to eastern WVA after Beckley but changed my mind and stayed on 16. Here's a few pics I took along the way:

After crossing I-77, the landscape changed becoming less rugged.

It may be difficult to see what's in this next pic but it's a drive-in movie theater that was still in operation. How many of you remember going to drive in theaters?

This was something I remember see often as a kid in the Ohio and Pennsyslvania countryside:

Old 07-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #37
351 power
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
nice report sir. will keep watching
Old 07-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #38
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
There is also a forest service road that will get you into Burke Gardens. Probably a little rough on a scooter but it can be done.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #39
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351 power View Post
nice report sir. will keep watching
Thanks, i hope you enjoy the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
There is also a forest service road that will get you into Burke Gardens. Probably a little rough on a scooter but it can be done.
I had heard there were only two ways in and out. I'll have to check it out if i make it back to that area.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #40
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 867
There is a road from the E, but I've heard its much rougher than the route we took in.

Great report, yes we did take a few pics of the same things didn't we ?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #41
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

As the day got later I started thinking about where to spend the night. It was hot and I was tired so I decided to wimp out and get a motel room. Great idea........if there were any motels around. None of the small towns I passed through had any motels. At least I didn't see any. I don't think this area gets much tourism. Looking at my map I saw that there was a State Park not far off of 16 so I went there. The road to North Bend park was a great twisty road but like all the State parks I have ben to in WVA, it was swarming with deer so I kept my speed down.

I stopped at the lodge. No rooms were available and i wasn't about to spend the big bucks on a cabin. The restaurant at the lodge would soon close so I ate a quick dinner and then headed to the campground. There were plenty of spots left. primitive campsites were $20 and spots with electricity and near the bath house were $23. I splurged and spent the extra three bucks.

This park did not come close to matching the beauty of Hungry Mother Park where I spent the previous night but it was OK. There's a small river behind my tent.

Most of the other campers here were large groups with kids and some sort of travel trailers or pop up campers.

It was pretty hot but cooled off enough to be reasonably comfortable at night.

Total miles for the day: 305

klaviator screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 11:48 AM
Old 07-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #42
Bearcat
burg1

Oddometer: 99
Great ride report, I'll keep watching for more
Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #43
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

The next morning I had my last two granola bars for breakfast, packed my gear and got on the road. I headed back to 16 because I intended on taking it to the end at the Ohio river.

Did I mention that there were deer everywhere in WVA state parks?

They don't seem afraid of people either....or my mighty scooter

I rode north on 16. It was still a fun twist road but not nearly as twisty as it had been further south.

I came to a small town that actually had a McDonalds so I stopped for breakfast. Then I continued on 16 until I got to the town of St Marys on the Ohio River. I decided to see if there was anything interesting in St Marys I nfound this street with rialroad tracks down the middle,

and this this interesting bridge which started across the river then made a sharp 90 degree turn and ended on a small island. I rode across it and found that the island was a wildlife refuge. I didn't find anything interesting on the ssland but the bridge was cool.

my guess is that at one time this bridge went across the river but was replaced by a larger, newer bridge. They kept part of the bridge to get to the little island.

Then I crossed the Ohio River.

it was my first time back to Ohio in 7 or 8 years.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #44
jguerin77
I ride my own

Oddometer: 387
You are an inspiration for sure. I had a few people kinda chuckle at me for riding a Triumph America 850 from Texas up through the Talimena Scenic Byway in Oklahoma and the Pig Trail in Arkansas saying they would never do such a thing on that "small" of a bike. I am amazed at the journey you are doing on a 250! Very much enjoying the ride report and pictures.

Thank you!

Jill

Member of Southern Cruisers Riding Club and Chrome Divas
jguerin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #45
iloco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Klaviator I live 5 miles from Hungry Mother State Park. Next time you in the area give me a pm and can show you a few rds in the area or ride a few miles with you. I have a big back yard that would be great for a tent if you need to camp.
Nice report that I have been enjoying.