ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #16
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius
 
Ritalin Boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 5,133
FWIW, I was one of the first to use multiple GPS units, this was for an Iron Butt Rally.

It was because I had two; this was in 2003. In 2005 I ran two, this was for redundancy as much as anything else.

03 setup


If you are going to run two gps units and want to get the most out of the set up the GPS units must be identical down to the maps and firmware.

For running around in the woods I don't see the need for more than one.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
HogWild
Scott Whitney
 
HogWild's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: SoCal USA
Oddometer: 2,528
I use 3, . . . sort of, and carry a 4th in my pack as a backup. One is standard (on the right). One is just a small GPS track recorder (no screen), which has enough memory to record super fine tracks for several days (mounted just left of the SPOT, along with a voice recorder for taking notes). And one GPS receiver is embedded in the SPOT tracker (you all forgot about that one). Since all that still doesn't get the job done, there's also the custom paper maps and paper roadbook mounted on the dash. It's all for creating and pre-running The Grand Rally.

__________________
.
New desert racing frontiers
It will be Diabolical!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
TA-Zappa
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TA-Zappa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Oddometer: 161
Yes I use two GPS as well, one Quest and one Zumo 660 (POS), more or less cause I have two and then I use them... But the main reason is when I enter a rally (IBA, but not THE IBR) I want to have a backup. ANd it's good to be able to search for fuel, food and stuff while still having the original route in the other one.

For pure day long dual-sport rides I only use one, but if would go for a multi day ride I would bring both as my zumo is more then reliable (It's going for a check up as soon as I get home).

But today I wish I had three (sort of had since I had my phone with me), both of them went somewhat out of control. Zumo refused to start (again), quest shutdown when trying to delete some waypoints and my phone told me I was in the middle of the baltic sea. Luckily I was in an well known area and I did know roughly where I was heading.

Cheers,
Zappa
__________________
'05 950 Adv S - 73000km
'14 Beta RR 350 - 15h
'14 Beta RR 350 - 2h (Stolen)
'09 250 EXC-F SixDays - 184h (Stolen)
'98 XL600V Transalp - 86000km - SOLD
TA-Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
rwamf
Follow me
 
rwamf's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Odessa TX USA
Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post


If you are going to run two gps units and want to get the most out of the set up the GPS units must be identical down to the maps and firmware.
Totally disagree with that statement as why bother if they are the same, I run Two on my GS as it has the room. One is for Offroad routes and the other is a Street unit, Makes no sense to be the same maps, and such IMO
Coming back from MO a few weeks ago my Delorme routed me on some fantastic dirt roads through the Mark Twain NF that the street unit missed. and again in Arkansas the Delorme did another fantastic job on some very fun and scenic dirt roads that the Street unit had no clue about.
On my smaller DS bikes I only use one and depending on what type of riding I am doing ( Street or Dirt) dictates which GPS I mount

__________________
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. ~ RWE
Robert

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,067
I run one and keep a spare tucked away when following tracks on trails. When I'm riding highway, I run two at once, the first an automobile-style one for routing information, and the other with topographic maps loaded because it's fun to know more about the landscape I'm passing through.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #21
666
Agnostic and Orange
 
666's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 1,313
For street ( or easy ds) riding I use zumo 550 and 78. 78 is loaded with tracks, zumo with routes, plus I can easily deviate from tracks and see big picture on zumo, do easy navigation.

For tight single track I use 78, zumo in bacpack, just in case.
__________________
2006 KTM 950 ADV; 2006 KTM 525EXC; 2013 Tiger 800 street
Moab Ride Report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629423
Dusy Ershim Ride Report http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=99109
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
paulhdick
Wannabe Adventurer
 
paulhdick's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 320
Two when doing trails

I have a Nav IV that I keep mounted all of the time and a 60Cx that I add for backroads. The latest Garmin NTNA is always loaded on the Nav IV. I keep Topo West 24k loaded on the 60Cx for the area I am doing offroad.

I tried using Topo loaded with NTNA on the Nav IV but it sometimes crashes with both map databases active.
__________________
Paul

09 R1200GS

Been riding pretty much all my life. Raced SoCal desert in the 60's early 70's.
paulhdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
GodSpeedRally
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GodSpeedRally's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: In my dreams
Oddometer: 102
Does having an iPhone count? If so, I have a GPS, that, and an atlas. Is that three? 2.5? 1.75?
GodSpeedRally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #24
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius
 
Ritalin Boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 5,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf View Post
Totally disagree with that statement as why bother if they are the same, I run Two on my GS as it has the room. One is for Offroad routes and the other is a Street unit, Makes no sense to be the same maps, and such IMO
Coming back from MO a few weeks ago my Delorme routed me on some fantastic dirt roads through the Mark Twain NF that the street unit missed. and again in Arkansas the Delorme did another fantastic job on some very fun and scenic dirt roads that the Street unit had no clue about.
On my smaller DS bikes I only use one and depending on what type of riding I am doing ( Street or Dirt) dictates which GPS I mount
First it is possible to have one GPS provide topo, roads, routes, maps and tracks so for the folks that are mixing two because they "work different" perhaps you might learn to work one really well.

Once this is established the only reason for two is if one breaks in east bumfuck. IMO, the only reason to have two mounted at once is to pose or to prove you need different devices to do the same job differently.

If you have two identical units with the same datasets and firmware should the one on the mount go tits up you have a spare in your luggage that will work *exactly* the same way the busted unit did.

Granted you could continue to carry different units; perhaps the true adventurer would then carry a spare of each?

Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #25
MoBill
Smiles when says dat
 
MoBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 13,335
I definitely like and benefit from two different mapsets, BUT in the IB connotation, I understand, both running the same firmware.and.mapset. You live by the route youve picked, no? In other kinds of rallying or DS riding, like this weekends PDR I would have been screwed without the 60csx running last years maps.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #26
millsan1
IBA #49986
 
millsan1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Dirty Jerzey
Oddometer: 234
I have 2, or technically 3.

Droid as a last resort backup.

I have been using a Garmin 765T, which has served it's purpose, but is not waterproof, etc.

Just got a Zumo 665, which will be primary.

For every day riding, the Zumo will be the work horse, but for rallies, the Zumo will have my route and points to stop at, and will be used to make adjustments on the fly, and the 765 will be used for the route and left that way, so I will know my ending time. I did my first rally a month ago and realized that fiddling with your one gps is not a great plan, especially when time of arrival is so important at the end of the road.
__________________
Some people like my Blog, Hope you do.
http://millsan1.blogspot.com/

millsan1 screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 08:10 AM
millsan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #27
rwamf
Follow me
 
rwamf's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Odessa TX USA
Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
First it is possible to have one GPS provide topo, roads, routes, maps and tracks so for the folks that are mixing two because they "work different" perhaps you might learn to work one really well.
OK Show me a Garmin that routes on TOPO, May be the new ones will but my 60cs would not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Once this is established the only reason for two is if one breaks in east bumfuck. IMO,
That is the reason I dropped Garmin from my GPS usage, too many failures in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
the only reason to have two mounted at once is to pose or to prove you need different devices to do the same job differently.
No one Brand does it all, So I look at GPS's that will do what I need, and use them plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
If you have two identical units with the same datasets and firmware should the one on the mount go tits up you have a spare in your luggage that will work *exactly* the same way the busted unit did.
Never had my Delorme fail me, so not worried
Delorme maps are just plain better than anything Garmin has put out for off road use, it is King. My Lowrance is just used for street routing and by no means is it perfect, but in does Topo and NavTec Maps and shows minor roads at much farther Zoom levels than any Garmin so to me it is very valuable when one is out exploring, which is a thing I do once and a while
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Granted you could continue to carry different units; perhaps the true adventurer would then carry a spare of each?
I carry a Map and a Compass for back up

[/QUOTE]
__________________
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. ~ RWE
Robert

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #28
MoBill
Smiles when says dat
 
MoBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 13,335
His apples to your oranges I imagine.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #29
paulhdick
Wannabe Adventurer
 
paulhdick's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 320
Methinks you are wrong ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
First it is possible to have one GPS provide topo, roads, routes, maps and tracks so for the folks that are mixing two because they "work different" perhaps you might learn to work one really well.
I may not be an expert GPS user but I know how they work and what features are important to me. My Nav IV (aka Zumo 660 + $$$) is perfect for me on the road, IMHO. I have even loaded TOPO 24K West on it and it worked as long as I kept one or the other map databases active and unselected the other. What it does not have is user defineable tracking and track back features which are really important to me off-road.

My GPSMap 60Cx has those tracking features and I keep TOPO (and only TOPO) on that. Without voice prompts and Bluetooth connectivity (and screen size) the 60Cx is not a very good choice for road use, hence the two GPS's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf View Post
OK Show me a Garmin that routes on TOPO, May be the new ones will but my 60cs would not.
Both my Nav IV and 60Cx navigate fine with TOPO 24K (2010 West). You may be right, the older Garmin's may not??
__________________
Paul

09 R1200GS

Been riding pretty much all my life. Raced SoCal desert in the 60's early 70's.
paulhdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #30
MoBill
Smiles when says dat
 
MoBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 13,335
Different applications fellas, stay with the tour. In IB situations they must be the same. I think was his point... Do none of you geniuses pay attention to they type of riding he does? Havest thou eyes yet cannot see?

I wasnt going to point it out, but you NOT know what apples to oranges means?

Just sayin.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014