Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #5101
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
As we got closer

to Crater Lake,

it became more and more apparent we wouldn't be camping up here.

But it was early, and we figured we'd see the sights, and then resolve where we'd sleep.

On a lark, we stopped first at the Lodge, thinking for sure it'd be full, and crazy expensive.

Turns out, today was the first day they were open for the season, and we could get a 2-bedroom loft-suite for $300. Now, I'm not going to defend the expense... We take what comes, and if the opportunity presents itself to camp under the stars deep in a canyon with rattlesnakes and black widow spiders, then that's where we'll sleep, and we'll love it.

Or if at the end of the day we're dirty and tired with dodgy weather, and we get to a town with a cheap motel, well, we'll begrudgingly bunk there.

On the other hand, if we can sleep in a historic lodge with a view of Crater Lake and eat at a restaurant with an actual wine list and white tablecloths, well then who are we to let some coin get in the way of all that. Tonight would be the vacation from our adventure, no apologies. If I'm ever here again, chances are it'll be with a walker.

Since we were still wearing our gear, we decided to ride up as far as the Rim Drive had been plowed, and then return to our room, unpack, and then hike around.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #5102
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Discovery point

was as far as they'd plowed.

We took our pitchers,

which look a lot like everyone elses' pitchers, I'm sure,

OK, maybe a little different...

and I won't bore you with all the images,

Then it was back to the Lodge for cocktails.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 07-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #5103
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Pre-dinner scenes

Another in keeping with the "lone-tree" theme:

Old 07-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #5104
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dinner scenes

Old 07-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #5105
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

After-dinner scenes

Click panorama for large version (will open in new tab/window -- click on that one for full resolution ):

Old 07-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #5106
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Scenes from a night-cap

A long pinhole lens exposure...

And fade to black.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #5107
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 7 stats:

.GPX track file for Day 7 available for download here.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 07:07 AM
Old 07-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #5108
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M9 intermission

OK, before I can post more, I've got to process some photos. It's gonna be a busy few days with the new residents starting... so please be patient.

...in other news, we may have a certain Big Dog joining us for all or part of M10 in sept.

Any other takers?
Old 07-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #5109
B50Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Hi Doc Rock & L D F
Friends of mine Rick & Judy honeymooned camping on Crater Lake island, forty odd years ago . The only flat spot was on top of a concrete box .

Paul
B50Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #5110
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

For the curious

M10 will depart Idaho falls Sat. Sept. 8th, head north into Montana, loop south through Wyoming, and end up in Denver, CO on Sept 22nd. Details of the route will be ironed out by late August. We're open to suggestions regarding Must-See attractions and Must-Ride roads / trails.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #5111
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Thumb Wow...

Very nice segment on Crater Lake. Lived in Nothern Calif. all my life and never have made it up there. Certianly not for lack of effort. Got to get up there. Thank you for sharing that, nice digs.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #5112
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
M10 will depart Idaho falls Sat. Sept. 8th, head north into Montana, loop south through Wyoming, and end up in Denver, CO on Sept 22nd. Details of the route will be ironed out by late August. We're open to suggestions regarding Must-See attractions and Must-Ride roads / trails.

Not to jump the gun but... does M10's ending destination mean M11 will bring Honeybee & Blueberry back to east coast or will they be retired along with the whole Mobius show??? Your thoughts please.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #5113
SoosCreek
Angle of Repose...

Oddometer: 121
Hunting Seasons?

How do you account for the various hunting seasons in each state? For example, some Antelope hunting starts September 15th in certain areas....

I drove through Wyoming on back roads a couple of years ago during deer season in October and the roads were full of hunters and trucks and ATVs, etc.

2011 West Coast Swing | 2012 Trekking Baja and Copper Canyon
SoosCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #5114
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,129
I had the same experience in Utah one year. Awful.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #5115
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
Not to jump the gun but... does M10's ending destination mean M11 will bring Honeybee & Blueberry back to east coast or will they be retired along with the whole Mobius show??? Your thoughts please.
Nah, most likely we'll finish the Continental divide, and head back to visit the kids in Flagstaff for M11.