Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,551
A short trip around the Black Sea

Wanna follow along? SPOT tracker link;

http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?...b4de3265776584

This summer, I'm doing a short trip, as I was busy at home, & late getting to europe. Plus, I have to go back early to race in the Cannonball on my '28 Indian from New York to San Francisco.
I've been wanting to ride around the Black Sea for a few years, but never was able to do it. I had planned to do it on my 48 Indian in 08, but the crappy US shipping company I was using screwed up the crate full of bikes I was shipping over, and I had to cancel. In hindsight, that was probably a good thing, as I would have been in Georgia when Russia invaded.
In a way, that would have been quite the adventure, but being in a war zone on a 60 year old bike just doesnt appeal to me much. I've been to several places right after a war, but not during one.

Also, Im not going solo this time. I had planned on it, and Poly (my girlfriend) and I had planned on a southern euro trip in May, but due to commitments, I couldnt get over here in time. So, I told her she could do the Black Sea with me. (gotta keep the gals happy) So I probably will play it a little safe, but theres still some areas we will go thru that are a bit sketchy. Chechnya, Dagestan, & Abkhazia

all 3 are on the 'travellers advisory warning' list, so that means they MUST be interesting!

But Im sure just like other sketchy countries I have ridden thru that are on that list (turkmenistan, transneister, kosovo, iraq, canada, etc)
the people will be nice, and I'll have fun!

Since neither of us is Russian, I dont think we will have many problems in the first two, and I havent heard of any fighting for the last few months (they are trying to break away from russia) Whether this means that things have calmed down, or all hell is fixin to break loose again, I dunno.
Abkhazia is a breakaway province of Georgia. Its now under Russian control.
I had planned to go clockwise around the sea, but you cannot go to ABK and then to georgia, as the georgians are not happy with the situation there, & may throw you in jail if they see evidence that you have been to ABK. So GEO first, then to ABK (providing our visa requests are granted)
After GEO, we'll head east thru Dagestan to the Caspian sea, then back thru Chechnya to the Black sea coast, & down to ABK, then back north & west to Ukraine, Moldova & Romania.

Of course, I planned the trip to be able to hit a couple biker parties, one in Turkey, and one in Sevastopol, on the Crimean.

the trip should take about a month, & we leave tomorrow.
Mileage looks to be about 6000km (4000 miles)

Oh, and the bikes, Poly will be riding her Yamaha Tenere, & I'll be on my Harley Dirtster

Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 02:29 AM
rtwdoug is online now   Reply With Quote