Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #91
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,144
I've been experimenting with the chain on my Tiger 800 I bought a year ago. I was originally going to just use WD-40 and did for a time, but at one point after several thousand miles I saw a bit of the telltale red dust accumulating around one of the links, and the link was starting to kink. So I decided to keep cleaning the chain with WD-40 (it does a good job!) when needed, and I lube the chain with this stuff:

http://www.castleproducts.ca/Catalog...ms/endura.html

I've been using it since my days as an Auto Tech on various parts and was always amazed at how well it works. It goes on thin and clear, and the carrier evaporates to leave behind a clear teflon grease that sticks and works in a very wide temperature range. I've used it for cables, kickstands, and throttle tubes for years. It's the only lubricant I've ever found that can actually work too well on throttles and cables, actually reducing friction so much that the throttle can become a bit tough to modulate. It's been around 2000 miles now and the link is no longer kinked, and there has been no more red dust.

I have no idea how long my chain will last using the stuff, but due to the previously dry/kinked link its days are probably numbered anyway. If it makes it 15,000 miles I'll be thrilled.

I'm also going to try another experiment. If the sprockets look reasonably ok without too much wear I'm going to re-use them and throw a dirtbag $50 O-ring chain on them. I figure if I get another 10 - 15 thousand miles before I have to replace the chain and sprockets I'm far ahead due to the cost of sprockets for my bike.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #92
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 365
Castle Endura Lub - source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
... I lube the chain with this stuff:

http://www.castleproducts.ca/Catalog...ms/endura.html

Well... thanks. I'm keen on the cable-lube thing and I'd like to try this. Been wondering if technology has moved on with clutch cable lubing - my DualStar hydraulic broke a while back and I've not got around to fixing it. I'm still using WD40; figure there must be something better by now.

BUT... no distributor information on the linked website (just information for distributors). Canadian company, no info on how to buy. Google shows Amazon.com for $10 something but it's a US fulfilment company that won't ship said Canadian product to Canada, figures, and Discount Bin in the UK shipping worldwide for free, with a price of $82 per can - WTF? Must come in one hell of a box.

Oh yeah, Google also gives a lot of other hits for the search terms: Castle Endura Lubricant... but they seem to be of a rather personal nature and we shan't be discussing them here.

So, any hints on where to buy this can of wonder-stuff? I'd like to try it... ON THE BIKE... (just making that clear)

David...

FixerDave screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 10:44 PM Reason: typo fix
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #93
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerDave View Post
Not if I can help it And I just did. Maybe I should put a google reminder in for 2018 or so... come back and poke it again.

But, on a more serious note, I was thinking about doing some regular winter chain maintenance... somehow getting the water out from behind the O-rings and getting grease back in. Maybe something like pulling the chain (I use master links, so no big deal) and putting in in a big can of grease, then heating the grease up until it flows... maybe make it a pressure vessel and use vacuum while it's hot and then pressure as it cools. Maybe cycle a couple of times.

But, you know, I ride a KLR. I've maybe put 3 chains on the bike in 20 years. Besides that, I don't do winter maintenance. So, screw it, blast it with WD-40, wipe it off, spray on whatever can of chain lube I happen to have, and then go for a ride. $200 for chain and sprockets every 10-20K... not worth the hassle to think about. Of course, that $200 was for the last set... and it seems that was an entire chain-life ago.

David...
Instead of this ordeal, go see a movie.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #94
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerDave View Post
Well... thanks. I'm keen on the cable-lube thing and I'd like to try this. Been wondering if technology has moved on with clutch cable lubing - my DualStar hydraulic broke a while back and I've not got around to fixing it. I'm still using WD40; figure there must be something better by now.

BUT... no distributor information on the linked website (just information for distributors). Canadian company, no info on how to buy. Google shows Amazon.com for $10 something but it's a US fulfilment company that won't ship said Canadian product to Canada, figures, and Discount Bin in the UK shipping worldwide for free, with a price of $82 per can - WTF? Must come in one hell of a box.

Oh yeah, Google also gives a lot of other hits for the search terms: Castle Endura Lubricant... but they seem to be of a rather personal nature and we shan't be discussing them here.

So, any hints on where to buy this can of wonder-stuff? I'd like to try it... ON THE BIKE... (just making that clear)

David...
I ordered my most recent order from the company on Amazon. I don't have any other suggestions.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #95
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I ordered my most recent order from the company on Amazon. I don't have any other suggestions.
Thanks for the reply. I've emailed the company to see if I can find a Canadian distributor.

David...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #96
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
My chain is nearing the end of its projected life with about 28,000 miles on it. Up until the last two lubes it had seen nothing but the old-formula DuPont Multi-Use. Chain appears to still be in great shape. Since the old Multi-Use is now history I began reading around the Internet (always a dangerous proposition) about alternative chain lubes and I kept coming across reasonable sounding people touting nothing but WD40. So, for the last couple of cleanings/lubes I've just sprayed on WD40 and wiped the chain down with a rag. Only about 1000 miles of riding so far, but I am surprised by two things. One, the chain definitely looks cleaner and stays cleaner than with the old stuff, and two, the "feel" is totally normal. In other words, I can't tell any difference between Multi-Use and WD40 in how the bike runs, the chain sounds, or in any other way. But, the chain does seem to stay cleaner. This is in 100% road use in the summer, no rain to speak of other than some damp roads. Of course, the proof is in the longer term, and trying this on an old chain doesn't tell me much yet. Wonder if I'll be brave enough to try it on the new chain I plan on getting fairly soon?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #97
nakedwaterskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
You can get a gallon of WD40 at Home Depot or Lowes CHEAPLY and use a regular spray bottle(using your hand/finger muscles) to spray it on; not aerosol. That way it won't get forced past the Orings.

You can do the same thing with ATF.

ATF is designed for rubber seals and cleans the chain well.

But if you want some cushioning between the chain and sprocket, you need a good Oring chain lube; after the WD40 or ATF dries/evaporates or gets flung off.

Some people claim contact between chain doesn't matter; only inside the Orings matter.
nakedwaterskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #98
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedwaterskier View Post
You can get a gallon of WD40 at Home Depot or Lowes CHEAPLY and use a regular spray bottle(using your hand/finger muscles) to spray it on; not aerosol. That way it won't get forced past the Orings.
Just today I picked up a plastic wash bottle, This way I can dribble just a little bit of my cleaner of choice, WD40 either onto the chain or a rag and wipe off. It's going to work really well with the gallon jugs of WD.

I've been riding chain driven bikes with o ring chains for 20 years or so, and cleaning them wd40,
I've tried all sorts of lubes. I've found that my chains last about 10-30K miles depending on the bike they way the bike makes power and where I ride, (the dual sport sees the shortest chain life)

The fact that o ring chains have been around since the late 80s and that people have been cleaning and lubing their chains with the stuff for that long, and there's nothing super solid saying it's a bad thing, that's kind of telling.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #99
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
But, but,,,,,,,,,,, but the experts have told us that the WD40 is a solvent and will certainly compromise the o-rings {or x-rings whichever the case might be} and result in much shorter chain life,,,, or worse! One would be have to be foolish in the very least to ignore such wisdom and would only do so at one's own false economy because there are many alternative the experts wholeheartedly condone and support. One can surmise the only other reason to use WD40 would be down right ignorance and well, with this and other threads on the internet, that isn't really a legitimate reason what-so-ever.

The really terrible this is that the user themselves might not be the only one to suffer from their ignorant and or bull headed choices. What if, just what if a person that refuses to accept that WD40 is a terrible choice for chain maintenance and uses it the face of overwhelming evidence of that and then have a catastrophic chain failure at a most inopportune time. We all know that chain failure can have catastrophic failure that often results in the wheel locking down or the engine case being compromised. Either event could have terrible consequences.as this could cause a lose of operator control and if,,,, if this lose of control happened as the operator was passing a bus stop or heavens forbid,,,,, a parade or other heavily frequented pedestrian gathering spot, many could be injured, maimed or even killed.

And what if your insurance company were to find out of your use of WD40. Or, or one of the innocents your haphazard decision to use WD40 in direct opposition to what many experts advise. You could be sued for your absolute disregard of not only your safety but the safety of others. You could be held liable for lords knows how much money. I mean my goodness, what sorta monetary value can one place upon the lives of innocents.It is entirely possible that your choice to disregard the experts could results in innocent lives ruined and your {and your spouse's and your children's for that matter} future forever changed due to litigation stemming from your decision to use a less than adequate lubricant for the job at hand. And all for what? False economy? Laziness maybe?????

Ooohhhhhhh the humanity,,,,,,,,,,,,,, think of the children for goodness sakes. Please, please think twice before using WD40 on your chain. The life you save might not only be your own, but conceivably, innocent lives are at stake here,,,,,, think of the children. If we could save just one child, wouldn't the extra money spent on PJ1 be worth it? Yes, think of the children.

Blue Skies Coming
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #100
kirkster70
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
A few years ago I emailed a rep from WD-40. We went back and forth via email several times whether or not WD-40 was safe on o-ring motorcycle chains or not. I could never get a straight answer out of him. No yes, no no. His answers were very vague.

His last comment to me was that there is an o-ring in the valve of the can that they purposely undersize because they know it will swell and that I should draw my conculsions from that.

I conclude to use Kerosene or Diesel fuel.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #101
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
But, but,,,,,,,,,,, but the experts have told us that the WD40 is a solvent and will certainly compromise the o-rings {or x-rings whichever the case might be} and result in much shorter chain life,,,, or worse! One would be have to be foolish in the very least to ignore such wisdom and would only do so at one's own false economy because there are many alternative the experts wholeheartedly condone and support. One can surmise the only other reason to use WD40 would be down right ignorance and well, with this and other threads on the internet, that isn't really a legitimate reason what-so-ever.

The really terrible this is that the user themselves might not be the only one to suffer from their ignorant and or bull headed choices. What if, just what if a person that refuses to accept that WD40 is a terrible choice for chain maintenance and uses it the face of overwhelming evidence of that and then have a catastrophic chain failure at a most inopportune time. We all know that chain failure can have catastrophic failure that often results in the wheel locking down or the engine case being compromised. Either event could have terrible consequences.as this could cause a lose of operator control and if,,,, if this lose of control happened as the operator was passing a bus stop or heavens forbid,,,,, a parade or other heavily frequented pedestrian gathering spot, many could be injured, maimed or even killed.
And what if your insurance company were to find out of your use of WD40. Or, or one of the innocents your haphazard decision to use WD40 in direct opposition to what many experts advise. You could be sued for your absolute disregard of not only your safety but the safety of others. You could be held liable for lords knows how much money. I mean my goodness, what sorta monetary value can one place upon the lives of innocents.It is entirely possible that your choice to disregard the experts could results in innocent lives ruined and your {and your spouse's and your children's for that matter} future forever changed due to litigation stemming from your decision to use a less than adequate lubricant for the job at hand. And all for what? False economy? Laziness maybe?????

Ooohhhhhhh the humanity,,,,,,,,,,,,,, think of the children for goodness sakes. Please, please think twice before using WD40 on your chain. The life you save might not only be your own, but conceivably, innocent lives are at stake here,,,,,, think of the children. If we could save just one child, wouldn't the extra money spent on PJ1 be worth it? Yes, think of the children.
Do you want a cigarette?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #102
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Mehhh,,,,,, I don't smoke.

But ya could send cookies. Would 'preciate dat.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #103
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Is there a hi-vis version of WD40?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #104
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
Is there a hi-vis version of WD40?
Yes, ATF.
Try this, get it at Lowes:
Old 07-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #105
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but you were measuring (rubber) with precision measuring instruments?

Really?

OK, OK - if thats ok-

You put these solvents in a plastic container that youre sure didnt degrade when you added them AND the o-rings into?

I know Im a few years behind on this.. but really? What kind of scientist are you?

ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote