ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #106
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer
 
urbanXJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,095
I have been using Starter Fluid Spray (diethyl ether) from walmart.

The can is $2, and I can get my chain very clean with just 1/3 a can.

Some tell me it's not oring safe, but it's not in contact very long and works so great..just blasts the dirt off and dries quick.

DO NOT USE AROUND FIRE or KABOOM
__________________
...SPEEDING PAST THE LINE OF GOOD TASTE...
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #107
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRiedinger View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but you were measuring (rubber) with precision measuring instruments?
Really?
OK, OK - if thats ok-
You put these solvents in a plastic container that youre sure didnt degrade when you added them AND the o-rings into?
I know Im a few years behind on this.. but really? What kind of scientist are you?

Do you ask for an MSDS before accepting your Quarter Pounder?
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #108
Jud
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jud's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: N.E. Ga. USA
Oddometer: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRiedinger View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but you were measuring (rubber) with precision measuring instruments?














Really?




OK, OK - if thats ok-

You put these solvents in a plastic container that youre sure didnt degrade when you added them AND the o-rings into?


I know Im a few years behind on this.. but really? What kind of scientist are you?

Oh,,, that was just fer quick reference as he had all the data from the measurements taken on the MicroView stored on an ExcelDoc. at the time.
__________________
Pics- http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/s...eon/?start=all
Places visited on two- http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/s...0two%20wheels/
Endeavor to Persevere
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #109
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
I have been using Starter Fluid Spray (diethyl ether) from walmart.

The can is $2, and I can get my chain very clean with just 1/3 a can.

Some tell me it's not oring safe, but it's not in contact very long and works so great..just blasts the dirt off and dries quick.

DO NOT USE AROUND FIRE or KABOOM
It's a viloation of Harris County Law to use starter fluid like that. It's OK in Waller though.

I just use a stiff brissle brush to knock the crud off then relube with some type of silicone lube.
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #110
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!
 
locorider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Puerto Rico, U.S.A.
Oddometer: 2,502
Great report. Ive been using wd40 for a long time in my bike's o ring chain and no problem. Then I blow air before adding Motul Offroad chain lube...
__________________
Carlos locorider
1989 Honda XL600V Transalp, slightly modified!

From Puerto Rico to Georgia and beyond...
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #111
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly
 
Stan_R80/7's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: VA
Oddometer: 1,416
I've found WD-40 to be a great grunge cleaner for any grimy parts of an engine, chain, or frame. It's not a lubricant, but it seems compatibility with o-rings is more important than lubrication. However, I'm using an automatic chain oiler with 2-stroke engine oil for the chain. The oil is about the same viscosity as ATF and should provide some level of lubrication, since it's an engine oil. But, back on topic, a gallon of WD40 and the the spray bottle can be bought at Lowes, Home Depot, etc and is much more economical and easy to apply than the aerosol spray can.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #112
chornbe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 66
Exposure PLUS heat and friction would have been a very interesting over-time test, but... you'd need a lot of exact bikes being ridden identically - or a machine to keep the chains in constant motion.
chornbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #113
chornbe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
I've found WD-40 to be a great grunge cleaner for any grimy parts of an engine, chain, or frame. It's not a lubricant, but it seems compatibility with o-rings is more important than lubrication. However, I'm using an automatic chain oiler with 2-stroke engine oil for the chain. The oil is about the same viscosity as ATF and should provide some level of lubrication, since it's an engine oil. But, back on topic, a gallon of WD40 and the the spray bottle can be bought at Lowes, Home Depot, etc and is much more economical and easy to apply than the aerosol spray can.
Great for cleaning. I continue to laugh at those who think it's a lubricant no matter how often you can read a plethora of things that flat out say otherwise.
chornbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #114
acap650
acap650
 
acap650's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Western PA
Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by chornbe View Post
Great for cleaning. I continue to laugh at those who think it's a lubricant no matter how often you can read a plethora of things that flat out say otherwise.
I use WD after cleaning the chain with a water based degreaser, S100, Simple Green, etc.. It takes care of the water after rinsing and prevents rust until the chain is dry and ready for proper lubing. WD=Water Displacement.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #115
superspeed123
Adventurer
 
superspeed123's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 54
I have been using RP7 for many years cleaning my chains with it with a rag. Chains looks fine even after 50k km. I also use scottoiler with dual injector to oil my chains.
__________________
Dun worry too much, just enjoy the ride.
2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA
superspeed123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #116
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by chornbe View Post
Great for cleaning. I continue to laugh at those who think it's a lubricant no matter how often you can read a plethora of things that flat out say otherwise.

Meant to be light-hearted here, but I would laugh at you if you sprayed your MC brake rotors with WD 40 and then tried to stop your motorcycle before hitting whatever object you were trying to avoid.

Of course WD 40 has some lubricating properties. It may not be up to your defining standards, but try my little empirical experiment and report back.
__________________
'06 950 Adventure S
'10 Husaberg FX 450
'01 KTM 520exc
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015