Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #631
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Paul: do you have some rigids? Lets get together.. I'll bring a good camera that we can lock all the settings on and we can take a bunch of comparison photos?
Can do. The Rigid's come off the truck pretty quicly so we can also look at how they might work with Paul's new setup. But remember, all FOUR of my rigid's were about the same price as a single Squadron. They are also all flood's... In retrospect, two dually spots and two dually floods would have been a better combo for the truck.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #632
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,675
The extra distance the squadron throws the light is definitely worth while to me (safer going fast in the dark)...

I don't know if 2 squadrons has any extra value (I won't until I get to try it.. I'm hoping to get the second one hooked up tomorrow); perhaps if I could throw the light wider with the second light (hence the classic combo of pencil beam and driving beam or fog beam). The other thing I was going to talk with Paul about is if we could try a slight shimming of each light to aim each one 10 degrees off center to each side (because it throws light so far) - the two would then cover a huge amount of area maybe?

The bigger issue I personally have with "too much light" is when you have to drive on a public road at night. You have so much light you turn night into day (which is great!) but then when you meet oncoming traffic and have to dim all that light to a legal level, your pupils have contracted and you are essentially blind until you can get the lights back on. I find I'm especially sensitive to this as I've had lasik (twice).

I'm going to love it up on Kingston Peak at night this summer & goofing around in LHC... but not so much when I meet oncoming traffic dropping down the canyon afterward.

Geek screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 06:09 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #633
Geek
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Can do. The Rigid's come off the truck pretty quicly so we can also look at how they might work with Paul's new setup. But remember, all FOUR of my rigid's were about the same price as a single Squadron. They are also all flood's... In retrospect, two dually spots and two dually floods would have been a better combo for the truck.
Do you find that all four lights being the same gives you a huge amount of light @ the same distance but essentially blinds you outside of that throw range?

Perhaps we should test swapping a flood & a spot to figure out the best combination
Old 07-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #634
Geek
oot & aboot

Any idea what LED the D2 is using?

I think the squadrons are using the Cree 1000 (900) XML.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #635
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
I'm doing the Black river stages rally in September and the first day is mostly night stages, so I'll be able to test the lights at speed. I've seen 90+ on some of the straight sections and the stages are pretty much through the forest

I was beginning to worry that the Squads wouldn't compete with my 8" HID but I'm starting to feel better after all the feedback!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #636
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 854
HDB Rally 450x

Making some progress with the 450x prototype...this setup looks to be excellent. It really is a work of machining art.

If you recall the setup I took to Jimmy's class.

With two squadron lights this setup looks to be at least a couple of pounds lighter than the 8" with roadbook holder.

Awesome layout and clean location for the RAM mounted GPS

276 mounts like it was meant to be there.

I'm going to pound this through 1400 miles of the Tour of Idaho in a few weeks. If it survives that pounding, it's ready for prime time.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #637
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,819
In my opinion w/ Pauls's (HDB) 2 squadron set up the trick will be to have one be a sopt and the second a flood.

The flood would be pointed down and infront of the bike and run on a PWM dimmer with a high beam by pass so it acts as the low beam on the road at night. Then for high beam or offroad riding the flood would come on at full power filling in the area in fron of the bike and to the sides, wile the spot LED would give you long distance lighting. I would put the flood up top pointing down so it can bette fill in the dark spots behind bumps or when the front wheel is lofted.

The lower LED would be the spot pointed straight down the trail.

It would be super easy to mount one of these on the roadbook mount:

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...ith/Detail.bok

SPECS:

Rotary control of led output.

Dimming is accomplished by PWM.

Rotory detent in off position. CCW decrease light output until off position.

Connect your high beam to provide full light output when you turn on the high beams.

Includes connectors male/female for 2 lights.

Includes connector for 12v DC power (male and female).

1.5"x1.3"x.8" or 38mmx33mmx20.3mm

IP67 waterproof

Suitable for up to 6 amps or 72 watts.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #638
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,819
PS I have a D2 dually sitting on the work bench waiting to be tested side to side w/ the Squadron.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #639
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I'm doing the Black river stages rally in September and the first day is mostly night stages, so I'll be able to test the lights at speed. I've seen 90+ on some of the straight sections and the stages are pretty much through the forest

I was beginning to worry that the Squads wouldn't compete with my 8" HID but I'm starting to feel better after all the feedback!
Crank, I custom made a mount for the Squadron on my Berg, writeup here.

I'm not doing the roadbook thing you guys are right now, but I can tell you the Squadron on full power is an amazing amount of light for 44watts, probably as much as the BD 8". On pavement I took it up to 90 and could not out-drive it. Awesome light. I use a small Skene Designs dimmer to control the light for dual-sport use and ridden by many LEO cruisers day and night and no problems.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #640
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
Making some progress with the 450x prototype...this setup looks to be excellent. It really is a work of machining art.

If you recall the setup I took to Jimmy's class.

With two squadron lights this setup looks to be at least a couple of pounds lighter than the 8" with roadbook holder.

Awesome layout and clean location for the RAM mounted GPS

276 mounts like it was meant to be there.

I'm going to pound this through 1400 miles of the Tour of Idaho in a few weeks. If it survives that pounding, it's ready for prime time.

Nice work Phil and thanks for adding photos .. the more the better!!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #641
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
The flood would be pointed down and infront of the bike and run on a PWM dimmer with a high beam by pass so it acts as the low beam on the road at night. Then for high beam or offroad riding the flood would come on at full power filling in the area in fron of the bike and to the sides, wile the spot LED would give you long distance lighting. I would put the flood up top pointing down so it can bette fill in the dark spots behind bumps or when the front wheel is lofted.

The lower LED would be the spot pointed straight down the trail.

It would be super easy to mount one of these on the roadbook mount:

That is how I've been testing mine, spot on the lower and driving on the upper, the way I remember it on the driving Squadron 2 of the reflectors are flood and 2 are spot.

Steamboat stopped by last week and had that dimmer on his 950, it was very slick because it has a separate wire lead for a high beam over ride that you could wire up to a switch for full power and about 1/4 the size of the BD dimmer. I was sold.

As far as the Squadrons go, I'm done looking, they're built for racing so they might not be for everyone, but for me it has everything I'd spec out if I was building one with the exception of a built in dimmer for the driving version.

Phil, can't wait to hear how it goes!

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #642
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Crank, I custom made a mount for the Squadron on my Berg, writeup here.

I'm not doing the roadbook thing you guys are right now, but I can tell you the Squadron on full power is an amazing amount of light for 44watts, probably as much as the BD 8". On pavement I took it up to 90 and could not out-drive it. Awesome light. I use a small Skene Designs dimmer to control the light for dual-sport use and ridden by many LEO cruisers day and night and no problems.
That even looks stock, doubt you'd ever have any problems, good job!

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #643
pilo
Rhymes with below

looking back at the pics I noticed two things...

1) my garage is a mess (am I the only person that has a picture of their corvair on the wall?)

2) my grass in the front yard was green two months ago and now looks burnt and nappy...at least it hasn't caught on fire yet like everything else around here.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #644
pilo
Rhymes with below

One other thing looking back at my post...this isn't MY prototype, this is Paul's prototype from HDB. It's in the title of my post but that sometimes get's overlooked. I'm not remarking about the beauty of my own work...I only do that after I mow the lawn.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #645
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,178
the mess means majic is happening.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote