Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #46
HellCat650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Good luck with the search....that rear looks dicey...
Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #47
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,728

Been a couple of days now. Everything ok?
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #48
See-Three OP
C3

Oddometer: 140
Push to start

7/5/12
I spent Thursday morning at Performance cycle in Bethany OK. turns they didn't have the parts either, besides a chain. but I have to say they went above and beyond in searching for someone who might, turns out no one in the area has anything. it was Looking like I'd be spending the night in the OK city area again as performance cycle could have parts overnight shipped from Huston Texas and have them by 10-11 tomorrow.
I really didn't want to pay for another hotel on top of over priced dealership parts all while making no progress on the TAT. So I left for a little while to find some internet and look for another option. Admitting defeat i decided to go back and order the parts. While there i started talking with one of the sales girls and all of a sudden she was on the phone looking for a rear sprocket. She ended up calling one of her clients that she had sold a DRZ to in hopes he had replaced the stock sprockets. He hadn't, but he immediately offered to take both sprockets off of his bike and sell them to me for 50$! Next thing i knew the shop guy offered me the second motorcycle lift and any tools i needed!
before long i had my new sprockets installed and did an oil change.

Outstanding customer service at performance cycle, i definitely suggest them.

Also if your ever there ask to see the collection of bikes upstairs. 100+ vintage bikes of all sorts!

Shot at 2012-07-06

Shot at 2012-07-06

Shot at 2012-07-06

Nicest camping spot yet

Shot at 2012-07-06

Fixed one problem and am now stuck with a bigger one.

Not long after leaving my camp spot i stopped for a break, All ready to leave i get back on the bike and push the starter button and the solenoid clicked! DEAD BATTERY! Luckily I was stopped where a dirt road turned into pavement and was able to push start it.

Shot at 2012-07-06

next thing i do is go into town to look for a shop that can help, but of course i get nothing besides finding out there's a few shops 70miles north in dodge city. I really didn't want to make the drive to dodge so i continued down the TAT finishing the whole pan handle of Oklahoma. Luckily i never stalled, there are a few sections of really deep sand.

There is absolutely nothing out on the pan handle

Shot at 2012-07-06
BTW this is not a dead end

Shot at 2012-07-06

I was gonna head a little south into NM to find a motel and look for parts but came across this gate...it had a sign that said no something but it has fallen apart and was unreadable. all tracks ended here so i decided to turn around.

Shot at 2012-07-06

I turned the bike off here to take a brake. It started easily with a bump but now the instrument panel is blank. Until this point the dash board was working fine once i got moving.

Shot at 2012-07-06

I've done a quick go over of the bike but have found nothing, I think the stator crapped out on me

I'm about 40 miles south of Lamar right now, gonna head there tomorrow. I would have tonight but the headlight is very dim and does not get brighter when revved.

See-Three screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 07:01 PM
See-Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #49
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,728
All of those symptoms you described could be due to a bad battery. Is it a lead-acid? You can probably get a replacement at walmart.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #50
trail717
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Enjoying your report---Best of luck in getting your electrical problems sorted out as you head into Colorado!!
trail717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #51
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,519
Bummer! DRZCharlie over in the NWA BS thread I posted earlier has a wealth of knowledge on DRZ400 electrical problems, I'll page him for you.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #52
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,381
Sounds like the stator alright especially if your instruments were flickering then went dead. The CDI should still run until the last coil fries.

Do you have a multimeter with you? Or can you possibly get access to one? If so, I can walk you through the check procedure. PM me and I will give you my phone number if you like. Failing that I've included the test procedures below. They are posted in Thumpertalk as is my stator replacement tutorial.

If you need a new stator it's an easy replacement and you don't even loose any engine oil while you replace the stator, just lay the bike down on it's right side while you work. Takes about an hour after you have the part pay particular attention to not taking the circlip off the starter clutch assy. If you do you might as well call for someone to pick you up. You will need the proper Allen key and Metric sockets and some red locktite in addition to the stator. I'd purchase the stator from Ricky Stator as they will ship overnight.

Stator Testing procedure HERE:

Replacement Stator HERE:

Stator Replacement procedure HERE:

Don't let the testing scare you. Basically you are checking the three yellow wires (coming from the stator case) against ground. Put the ground wire of the meter in one of the yellow leads and test it against the other two yellows. If you show a direct short in ANY of the three yellows you have a bad stator. If the multimeter checks to infinity on all three the stator is good and you need to move on to the rectifier.

My bet is that it's the stator. I've had three but have worked out what really made them fry. After replacement it is important that you start running Amsoil (or equivalent) 20/50 100% ester based oil emphasis on the 50 weight.

Oil should be changed every 1000 - 1500 miles NO MORE or it tends to cook onto the lower coils of the stator which contributes to i'ts early demise.

Locktite the three stator bolts in place with red locktite to keep it from vibrating loose (and they will, ask me how I know). This is a common failure in the DRZ.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 09:48 PM
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #53
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 454
Really sorry to hear of all your trials and tribulations. Hopefully you'll get the electrical sorted out, and can enjoy the rest of the TAT. Hey, Colorado's next!
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #54
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 939
Just WOW at the worn rear sprocket hope you get going soon enough!
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #55
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post
Just WOW at the worn rear sprocket hope you get going soon enough!
He obtained new sprockets, but . . . sometimes, in an emergency situation, additional miles (kms) can be coaxed from worn sprockets by REVERSING them . . . in that configuration, the chain addresses the less-worn tooth profiles.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #56
s1000rr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your bike. Glad to hear that people truly want to help one in need.
s1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #57
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
He obtained new sprockets, but . . . sometimes, in an emergency situation, additional miles (kms) can be coaxed from worn sprockets by REVERSING them . . . in that configuration, the chain addresses the less-worn tooth profiles.

He waited too long to do that. His would have almost immediately started breaking teeth on the sprocket.
rufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #58
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
awesome trip so far.

I'm gonna have to second the steel vs aluminum sprocket comments. Aluminum is good for cans and bitchen CNC parts. Aside from that, keep it away from my sprockets.

I'm going to be following your trip, and am jealous of your expirence. Hopefully some day soon i'll get to do it.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #59
See-Three OP
C3

Oddometer: 140
All tests are pointing towards a bad stator, and possibly a bad rectifier. I'm playing it safe and have order both a new stator and rectifier from rickystator.com.

Big thanks to DRZ Charlie for all the help so far

My bike has just rounded 15,000 miles, from what i hear it's common for a DRZ to loose the stator at this mileage.

Shot at 2012-07-07

Cant beat the decor at the motel

Shot at 2012-07-08

Yesterday I lightened up my load a good bit, I sent home some cooking supplies and cold weather clothes. Cant wait to get these tires off the back of the bike!

Shot at 2012-07-08

Now to find something to do in Lamar CO.
See-Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #60
AirborneAndy
Vagabond

Oddometer: 496
Great report C3 ... It's cool to see how the things just seem to work out when you're in a bind sometimes. Often it happens just when your about to give up hope. And the community here can really make a difference both in moral and actual boots on the ground support. When you get your elect problems sorted you'll be ready for some real fun. I was packing light and camping on the TAT too. So, I would get my meals at grocery stores and survived on fresh fruits, lunch meats, PBJ, tortillas and other stuff that didn't spoil or need to be cooked. Looking forward to more as you head farther into Colorado and up thru the Rockies. Thanks again for taking the time to share your adventures.

The book - Excuse me, which way is the Baja 1000?

AirborneAndy is offline   Reply With Quote