Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #106
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
It will sound like a V twin and have a similar firing order.
the Yamaha TDM and S10 have it. The theory is, if you space the power strokes further apart, the tire has more opportunity to regain traction.

Yamaha started using a similar configuration in their 4 cylinder Grand Prix bikes in 2005. Ducati does it naturally with its 90 degree V twin engine.

The Nuda not only has the offset crank, it has bigger valves, higher lift
cams and 13.1 compression.

I do not want all that, but I think the crank would be good. It is BMW, they will probably do something else.

itsatdm screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 11:08 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #107
PenultimateMan
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 54
A rose by any other name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
I question the idiot naming/marketing branding on BMW's part. Just make all bikes GS and GS Adventure. It would have covered the

F650GS/Dakar and now G/Sertao - F650GS and GSA
The new F650GS/F800GS - F800GS and GSA
R1200GS/GSA

How hard is it? Geez! They did it correctly with the R1200GS...
If BMW start doing that, they might as well just jump on-board with Harley's naming conventions and be done with it. It's bad enough that they already label "Adventure" bikes separately from the normal GS bikes. "Gelände/Straße" is already supposed to mean "off-road" which one would think would also mean "adventure"!

Most of the "Adventure" bikes that I see are usually only used for suburban commuting anyway, and though I'm an advocate of a bike making every little trip into an adventure, I'm pretty sure that's not what the boys in Berlin had in mind.

Ultimately, it's all how the bike's used. FFS, Ted Simon's Tiger was little more than a customised street bike by today's standards!

But I got laid off.
PenultimateMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #108
TexasMule
Float away ya fairy...

Oddometer: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsherlock View Post
Just out of interest, what makes you think you know better than an international company with a large marketing department? Their marketing obviously works and just because it doesn't suit you, you slag it off.
You really can't be that naive...

Let's see - international company, a HUMONGOUS marketing department, and their marketing obviously works. Do you remember NEW COKE?

I could site another half dozen gaffs made by international/marketing/behemoths...

edit - aw hell, may as well bring up a couple from the venerable Motorrad Co. R1200ST (unmitigated disaster), R1200S (just a tad less so).
-to my mind alloy triumph tanks rank near titties in their inherent attractiveness -Mutt

TexasMule screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 08:55 AM
TexasMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #109
SlowerThanYou
SlipperyWhenSlippery

Oddometer: 44
Motorcycle USA

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/616/13...irst-Look.aspx
Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #110
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
From the above article:

"Both models come standard with the newest generation of ABS brakes which are lighter and more compact. The inlet valves are adjustable and it uses new wheel sensors."

what are adjustable inlet valves?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #111
Endurodude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Just as an aside, I went into my BMW dealership today, and started talking to the sales guy about the new F800. He was looking at BMW's website for details - I knew more than him! He thought it was being unveiled at the BMW weekend in Germany, so maybe there's more details on the way.

I like the 'dark green' colour scheme, though!
Endurodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #112
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurodude View Post
... so maybe there's more details on the way.
I think we have plenty of detail at this point - the published PR drones on like a doctoral thesis.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-f700gs/

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #113
arjones
Roads and Waves

Oddometer: 189
Eek I didn't like...

Ok, I didn't like. Seems mostly cosmetic changes and, some of them, pretty hard to deal with. Did you guys realized they put back the old bulbs blinkers? Actually, it's a little confuse, 'cause when you go to the bike's picture, complete with all the BMW stuffs, the LED ones appear on the bike. Is that because it's optional now? On the other hand: relocate the rear brake fluid reservoir could expose it to the engine heat. The same with the regulator: more exposed to mud, rocks and other stuffs flying up during off roads trips.

How about the beak? In my bike, if I had an accident and damage the beak, I can buy it (only it) to put the bike's front end back together again. If something like this occur with the new model, you should buy an even bigger part, 'cause the "new beak actually goes all the way to the false tank.... Of course, bigger part, more money to spend. In order to "de-beak" it, you would have to use a saw.

All in all, I didn't like because I can't see any application for these mods. Maybe I'm an ignorant.
arjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #114
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Interesting to see that both front and rear break reservoirs now look exactly as my modified ones :-) So much for air bubbles in the front reservoir....

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #115
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
[QUOTE=Endurodude;.............. He thought it was being unveiled at the BMW weekend in Germany, so maybe there's more details on the way.

I like the 'dark green' colour scheme, though![/QUOTE]

Yep, he's right on, I saw it at "BMW Motorrad Days" in Garmisch a few hours ago. They had two F700GS on display, a red one with a low seat, no electronicsone and the other was sort of a gray/green(osta grey metallic matte) with all the electronics, very nice color. I asked one of the BMW guys when the F700GS would be available in the USA and all he would say in "in the autumn". This bike was surronded by more folks then any other exibiit in the building.
Looks like a winner to me..... if it's priced right.

Regards, Paul

Roadscum screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 01:32 PM
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #116
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,213
Anybody have any pricing info?

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #117
REALGRAVEROBBER
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer: 353
My bike was basically designed and made in 1987 (it's a KLR650 1.0) and it's still more bike than I can handle. Just sayin.

Dr. Frazier Writing
REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #118
gfloyd2002
Title Free Since '12

Oddometer: 139
I'm with you graverobber. I find anything over 650cc more than I ever need. In fact, after riding since the 80s, I bought a little Ninja 250 in 2010 and have been using that for my commuter to good result. Comfortable 70 mph on the freeway, accelerates faster than the cars I ride with, great gas mileage, and really fun to throw around on weekend excursions on back roads. I honestly can't understand the need for liter+ displacement, though I respect the skills of those who handle them. And, as it relates to the F700GS, the increase in horsepower and torque for me is a complete non-issue -- it had plenty before. I'd rather keep the weight down and have a true 650cc on a lighter bike that I find more fun in the corners or on bad roads.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #119
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Yep, he's right on, I saw it at "BMW Motorrad Days" in Garmisch a few hours ago. They had two F700GS on display, a red one with a low seat, no electronicsone and the other was sort of a gray/green(osta grey metallic matte) with all the electronics, very nice color. I asked one of the BMW guys when the F700GS would be available in the USA and all he would say in "in the autumn". This bike was surronded by more folks then any other exibiit in the building.
Looks like a winner to me..... if it's priced right.

Regards, Paul
Hello Paul,

On the one with all the electronics, what can you control with ESA?

Thanks

petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #120
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by petzi-baer View Post
Hello Paul,

On the one with all the electronics, what can you control with ESA?

Thanks

petzi-baer
Sorry but I don`t know. I don`t speak German, the the reps english was a bit weak I didn`t want to be a PITA as ther were many folks waiting to speak with him.

Regards, Paul