User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
OnTheBoil OP
Padawan Learner

Oddometer: 21
KTM 690 Enduro/SMC Performance

I tried searching several ways to find a thread with the information I was looking for with no luck so I created this forum for all of us 690 owners to discuss performance options for our bikes. I just bought a '12 690 Enduro R and I'm getting ready to uncork it and I had some questions, first, does anybody have the EVO stage II kit from KTM installed w/ the cone filter, cam, battery relocation kit, and Akro pipe? I'm looking at buying the kit w/o the Akro pipe and using an FMF Factory 4.1 to save money but I wanted to know if the battery relocation kit was necessary? if not I'll see if I can get it from KTM Twins w/o the battery kit either.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
OnTheBoil OP
Padawan Learner

Also

Anyone know of an SAS(Secondary Air System) removal kit out there? something to make it clean and easy.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
4Lo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Subscribed.
4Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Sliverpicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBoil View Post
I tried searching several ways to find a thread with the information I was looking for with no luck so I created this forum for all of us 690 owners to discuss performance options for our bikes. I just bought a '12 690 Enduro R and I'm getting ready to uncork it and I had some questions, first, does anybody have the EVO stage II kit from KTM installed w/ the cone filter, cam, battery relocation kit, and Akro pipe? I'm looking at buying the kit w/o the Akro pipe and using an FMF Factory 4.1 to save money but I wanted to know if the battery relocation kit was necessary? if not I'll see if I can get it from KTM Twins w/o the battery kit either.

Just picked up a 690 Enduro Thursday last week. Put a leo Vince on it to dump the Nuclear Heat Exchanger on the back and --------Yeah, much better. Loud when you throw the fuel to it but not bad cruzzing at 60.

After pipe install it stalled twice at idle. Let it idle for 15 minutes and all is good so far. The ECU had to catch up with the mods.

Been looking into maps and all the stuff but this machine has plenty of power so-----------Don`t pay to try and fix it !

Just ride the thing . My thoughts.

Mossback
Sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
OnTheBoil OP
Padawan Learner

Pipe

Yeah, one of the local guys has a 690 w/ the Leo on it, its the same price as the FMF and a little better looking, only thing holding me back is I counldn't find the weight online to compare to the FMF, and like you said the thing has plenty of power so weight is a bigger issue to me.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
consider the vortex ecu also as it has different maps with different fueling,ept maps and ign advance built into it.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
mickwheeler
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Definitely re-map with new silencer...

These bikes are mapped VERY lean from the factory to meet EPA standards for emissions... putting a new silencer will open up the exhaust flow, causing it to run even more lean. The EFI will try to accommodate by adjusting to the new MAF (mass air flow) rate, but the base fuel mixture is still going to be very lean.

Regardless of the "feel" or how much apparent power there is, the valves and head will suffer with a mix that is too lean.
mickwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickwheeler View Post
These bikes are mapped VERY lean from the factory to meet EPA standards for emissions... putting a new silencer will open up the exhaust flow, causing it to run even more lean. The EFI will try to accommodate by adjusting to the new MAF (mass air flow) rate, but the base fuel mixture is still going to be very lean.

Regardless of the "feel" or how much apparent power there is, the valves and head will suffer with a mix that is too lean.
Interesting view...

So, is there a solution that allows owners to enjoy less weight, better heat management and yet, keeps airflow the same as the stock exhaust? THAT I would be interested in. After a test ride last week, I'm convinced the extra HP or two that *may* appear from a pipe swap would be largely lost on me (not that I might not feel it, but I don't feel I need more). The bike rips as is, so I'd be happy with a stock pipe...though I'd love to ditch the weight and not melt signal lights, too... ;)
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
consider the vortex ecu also as it has different maps with different fueling,ept maps and ign advance built into it.
+1. , I was one of the first to get a vortex And swore black and blue that one of the best mods to do . It took time but every one is getting on board now

These three are the must do,s Muffler , vortex ,suspension , then go for it as much bling as you want

On smj ( super moto junkie) look for the evo thead ( Intune )started ,Adam has done a great job working with Richard from vortex getting the fueling spot on . Lucky for me vortex is only 10 minutes away so I can update at any time

But if you want 75hp+ you might want to send your motor to gwr in Germany , Glenn was one of the engineer on the rfs motors $5k will will get you a 728cc monster
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBoil View Post
Yeah, one of the local guys has a 690 w/ the Leo on it, its the same price as the FMF and a little better looking, only thing holding me back is I counldn't find the weight online to compare to the FMF, and like you said the thing has plenty of power so weight is a bigger issue to me.
I'm in Tallahassee, and have the LV. It's light as hell compared to the stocker. Also runs a lot cooler.
With the pipe, a re-map, and the RR air filter. I doubt I'll be searching for power anytime soon.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
4Lo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Anybody have any opinions on the Power Commander? Looks like it's a little less expensive than the Vortex, and it has an onboard display option which seems kind of nice.
4Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Lo View Post
Anybody have any opinions on the Power Commander? Looks like it's a little less expensive than the Vortex, and it has an onboard display option which seems kind of nice.
Pretty much all roadrace bikes use Power Commanders. Probably more knowledge around that device as a result.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Lo View Post
PC's only control fuel mapping. Vortex controls fuel mapping, spark timing, and voltage output.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote