User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #241
fjk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Wunderlich ergo seat

I ended up buying the low wunderlich seat for my F800gs.

I have made some requests for experiences in this thread without feedback, so I would like to share my first thoughts about this seat, maybe more people will be interested in firmer seats after "Corbingate".

Today was the first real spring day in Denmark, and I went for a good long ride.

I am very happy about it. It looks good and the quality and fitting also seems very good.
It is very firm, but kind of "gel like". For me the ergonomics are much better than the stock seat.

The only downside I can think about, is that you have to reuse the rubber spacers from the stock seat.
Your butt does also not slide easy over the back part of the seat for hard core decending, because of the seat profile, but it is possible to change the riding possition a couple of inches forwards and backwards during normal riding.

/Fred
fjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #242
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I'm 6' tall, how tall are you? I can easily touch the ground with both feet, so I'm wondering if the "low" seat does something besides make you lower?
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #243
fjk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
I'm 6' tall, how tall are you? I can easily touch the ground with both feet, so I'm wondering if the "low" seat does something besides make you lower?
I'm 59" with 30" inseam. I can reach the ground on both sides, but not on flat foot. Not much different from stock seat actually, probably due to the wider seat profile.

This has never been a problem though. I bought the Wunderlich for comfort and looks.
fjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #244
easy_rider_77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
After having it for some time, how do you like the long-distance riding comfort? Do you still feel numb like the stock low seat, or can you last longer? Also, do you think the height is comparable to the stock low seat?
appreciate your feedback....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjk View Post
I ended up buying the low wunderlich seat for my F800gs.

I have made some requests for experiences in this thread without feedback, so I would like to share my first thoughts about this seat, maybe more people will be interested in firmer seats after "Corbingate".

Today was the first real spring day in Denmark, and I went for a good long ride.

I am very happy about it. It looks good and the quality and fitting also seems very good.
It is very firm, but kind of "gel like". For me the ergonomics are much better than the stock seat.

The only downside I can think about, is that you have to reuse the rubber spacers from the stock seat.
Your butt does also not slide easy over the back part of the seat for hard core decending, because of the seat profile, but it is possible to change the riding possition a couple of inches forwards and backwards during normal riding.

/Fred
easy_rider_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #245
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Anyone try one of the Airhawk seat pads? And if so how did you like it and what size. I'm trying to decide on that or a Seat Concepts one.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #246
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,814
I have the small cruiser Air Hawk and love it. It works better for me than my Renazco seat. Go figure.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #247
gplutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I just rode from Seattle to south of Napa on a stock low seat with a medium Airhawk. No problems at all.

Pre-airhawk I would be uncomfortable after about two hours, with the Airhawk my throttle hand was giving out before my butt.
gplutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #248
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228
Just put the Seat Concepts seat on the F800GS...
Not as much of an improvement as the one on the DR 650, still vastly better than the stock low seat. No more getting the nuts scrunched into the tank, it's comfy now to slide halfway into the pillion seat for a while, although I wish the dished out front seat was dished a lot less, or none at all.

Overall a great improvement for $160 or so.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #249
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Thumb Mr.Ed'sMoto

I rode up to Don & Deb Weber's businesses (http://www.mredsmoto.com/mredsmoto.htm and http://www.mredsmoto.com/premiermotogear.htm) in Albany, Oregon to get a seat made for my F650GS. Don has been making custom motorcycle seats since the 1960s so he's knows a thing or two about them. He does two ride in seats a day on a regular basis and mail in orders from all over the U.S. as well. He's booked up until the end of June if that says anything about the quality of his work and popularity. He has many repeat customers. Deb's store is pretty impressive, too; great displays with a lot of quality inventory with a good women's selection. Deb is very knowledgeable about what she carries, how it fits, etc. They do a lot of tire mounting & balancing and some servicing as well. All in all a pretty impressive operation in the small town of Albany.

It took Don about 5 hours to make my seat. We did a lot of sit on, trial, error and feel before deciding on the final configuration. He raised the front a bit so as to eliminate that sliding forward sensation and made an enlarged butt pocket just where I wanted it, adding about 6" in width for the pocket. He used two different types of foam to make a foundation and reshape the seat. Before making the cover I rode around the neighborhood a bit to be sure. Although he has a lot of different materials and colors I had Don make my seat cover with some black naugahyde fabric that looks just like the OEM stuff.

It was quite something to watch Don working on the seat. He gave it a lot of care and consideration and is very skilled with the various tools and techniques he employs. He's quite the craftsman and his commitment to satisfying his customers is obvious. He likes what he does and it shows in his work habits and products. Even with the care and effort that went into fitting and making the seat one never knows until you get back out on the road for a few hundred miles. After two days and 750+ miles riding home, I think Don nailed it.

I have had quite a few custom seats over the years and think that it is the way to go if your are looking to improve your seating situation. And a ride in is really the answer if you can arrange it, no matter who you choose to do the job. Considering the price of aftermarket pre-made seats that are, after all, one size fits all (TT, Wunderlich, Sargeant, BMW and others) a custom made, ride-in seat is worth it.

No affiliation, etc.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #250
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Got the OEM Comfort Seat yesterday from the dealer. So far pretty happy, way better for street riding than the stock seat. I find I need to almost shove my ass into it though to get advantage from the lumbar support otherwise my "Natural" position is too far forward. I'm going to need a longer than 20 mile ride to see if it really helps though since my commute is only 20.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #251
casperghst42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Just put the Seat Concepts seat on the F800GS...
Not as much of an improvement as the one on the DR 650, still vastly better than the stock low seat. No more getting the nuts scrunched into the tank, it's comfy now to slide halfway into the pillion seat for a while, although I wish the dished out front seat was dished a lot less, or none at all.

Overall a great improvement for $160 or so.
I'm curious, is the any bump (or what ever one calls it) between the driver and pilon part - that have been killing me on the TT high seat ?

As for dished out, I have a custom build seat from a world famous seat builder who made a seat for me which does not dish out at all (close to being horizontal when I sit on the bike), and that is not working for me, so it seams that no seat is perfect for anyone, we can only hope that we get something which will not make grown ups cry....

Casper
casperghst42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #252
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
I got the Seat Concepts material in last week and did some short rides with it. So far I'm liking it. It feels like I am sitting slightly lower though. This weekend I will get a long day ride in on it I think.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #253
woodsurfer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Kahedo

I took my original seat and gave it to KAHEDO – the company which are doing the TOURATECH seats – they made a more comfortable seat in my favorite color scheme black with a small red insert.
Now, after 2500 km, I feel much better when riding a few hours, but it still is not a sofa.

woodsurfer screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 03:25 AM
woodsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #254
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 201
Ordered one of the Saddlemen adventure seats from crusiercustomizing.com.

The seat is relatively new and not too expensive ($360 delivered) so I want to try it before shipping off a spare seat to Russell Day Long for a long distance seat. The issue with Russell is the seats really work (1500 mile day with no butt complaints) however it would probably be pretty ugly on a F800GS.

Saddlemen does not require your seat pan, so you have two seats.

Here's a forum thread about it.

Here's a link to the adventure seat line at Saddlemen.

Will post a ride report once I get it.

IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #255
scarygary
Drawing blanks

Oddometer: 369
Wunderlich Low

Just picked up this Wunderlich seat used (the only way I would get one) They are $$ new.

First impression was "What the hell!" IT felt like sitting on a 2x4. This thing is FIRM! After a short blast around town I started to get it. IT is very hot here in Toronto and very humid too.. the seat somehow flows air better than the stock low seat, I guess you don't sink in. Or the leather (fake leather?) breathes better than vinyl.

The seat height is a bit higher than the OEM low. I would say 1/2 to 3/4 inch taller.

Big plus is that you can slide fore and aft better, the shape is flatter and goes back further than the OEM low.

So far it it feels much better. Will have to wait and see how it goes with a few hours in the saddle.

Pic.

While out running an errand..

scarygary screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 05:38 AM
scarygary is offline   Reply With Quote