Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #256
Hudson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosters2 View Post
Ordered one of the Saddlemen adventure seats from crusiercustomizing.com.

The seat is relatively new and not too expensive ($360 delivered) so I want to try it before shipping off a spare seat to Russell Day Long for a long distance seat. The issue with Russell is the seats really work (1500 mile day with no butt complaints) however it would probably be pretty ugly on a F800GS.

Saddlemen does not require your seat pan, so you have two seats.

Here's a forum thread about it.

Here's a link to the adventure seat line at Saddlemen.

Will post a ride report once I get it.

I am very interested in this seat. Were you able to find any photos of the actual seat you are buying along with its features? I look forward to your review.

"They both savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."
-Terry Pratchett
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #257
endurorazor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
I have the small cruiser Air Hawk and love it. It works better for me than my Renazco seat. Go figure.

That post saved me hundreds of $$$$. I kept missing out on used aftermarket seat deals in the flea market and needed to find a solution to the agony I felt after 100 miles on the stock seat. I bought a sheepskin cover and that provided only minor relief. I was just about to pull the trigger on a new Renazco when I read this. I bought the Airhawk small cruiser and just finished a 3,400 mile ride in 9 days and the comfort difference during and after each day was nothing sort of amazing. It took two tries to get the perfect amount of air dialed in and getting on and off the bike took an extra effort not to displace it, but those are small prices to eliminate all traces of seat pain. For anyone that can't stand the stock seat and are contemplating gambling on an aftermarket seat, I highly recommend trying an Airhawk first!
endurorazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #258
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I am 100% satisfied with the OEM Comfort seat. It is shockingly better than the stock.

Only in the motorcycle world is a comfortable seat NOT included as the standard seat. "Hey, let's put a hunk of rock on the bike! " ;)
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #259
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
"Hey, let's put a ball crunching, manhood crippling, hunk of rock on the bike! " ;)
Fixt
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #260
XTrooper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
I am very interested in this seat. Were you able to find any photos of the actual seat you are buying along with its features? I look forward to your review.
This fella didn't get back to you because these seats are NOT yet available for the F800GS. I've been on the waiting list since May. They were scheduled to be released at the end of last month so, hopefully, it won't be much longer before they hit the shelves.
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991)
2011 BMW F800GS - Alpine White
2009 BMW R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)
XTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:13 AM   #261
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
This fella didn't get back to you because these seats are NOT yet available for the F800GS. I've been on the waiting list since May. They were scheduled to be released at the end of last month so, hopefully, it won't be much longer before they hit the shelves.
Didn't realize they were not available. I was given an ETA to the shipping vendor for tomorrow (7/13). I'll call them on Monday to see if they in fact got it and when it will arrive.

Thanks for the heads up. That explains why Revzilla had the availability listed as zero. They are just up the road from me, so I prefer to do business with them.
IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #262
fosters2
It is what it is

Steve, good call. I contacted the reseller and whadayaknow they "estimate" it will be "available" on 8/1, which is almost three weeks. So it's a rolling delay (was scheduled to be available tomorrow).

Revzilla isn't even taking an order for it, so I guess I'll just get in line and wait.
IBA#42277

Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #263
XTrooper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I only hope we can be sitting on one before the end of the riding season!
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991)
2011 BMW F800GS - Alpine White
2009 BMW R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)
XTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #264
fosters2
It is what it is

Just got an email from Cruiser Customizing that the "new" date is 9/5/2012. I'm seriously considering canceling the order. I really really don't like vendors posting and expected date which they know is bogus.

I won't be doing further business with Cruiser Customizing over this. Revzilla did the right thing and refused to post a date.

**update** called them and cancelled the order. Can't do business with folks that knowingly give me bad information.
IBA#42277

Old 08-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #265
Meritlane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
seat concepts

I am tall (35" inseam) and my bike came with a low seat so the need for a new saddle is an understatement. Instead of waiting forever for a custom job I took a flyer with Seat concepts. A buddy of mine was going out to their base in Hemet so I had them mount it up while he was there. What a difference. I like the density of the foam and most important their tall version has no hump so I am free to move fore and aft. Good job by these guys.
Meritlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #266
Hen4cyl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosters2 View Post
Just got an email from Cruiser Customizing that the "new" date is 9/5/2012. I'm seriously considering canceling the order. I really really don't like vendors posting and expected date which they know is bogus.

I won't be doing further business with Cruiser Customizing over this. Revzilla did the right thing and refused to post a date.

**update** called them and cancelled the order. Can't do business with folks that knowingly give me bad information.

Same story here, cancelled order. Back to the drawing board.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #267
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 638
Awhile back, I contacted Renazco about doing a custom seat for me. I tried the SeatConcepts one (Xmas special) for about 5,000 miles. While way better than the stocker, it isnt for me. Renazco is going to do a "production" run of 800GS seats with an anticipated release within a couple of weeks. When I say production, James told me that he is so busy making customs seats for a ton of 800GS owners that are all almost identical in nature. Therefore, he is going to make a run of those seats and be able to turn around requests pretty quickly. Hope I'm not stealing his thunder by posting this, just want to spread the word for those who are in the same boat as me. He said I am more than welcome to wait for a custom build date (was scheduling for November when I talked to him at the end of June). But based on the consultation on the phone, he said his new seat would be exactly what he would build for me anyways. So, I'm going to give it a shot...

Checked in this week via email and they said they need a few more weeks to get them out...then info would be available on their website and they would send me an email to order up.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #268
fosters2
It is what it is

Bit the bullet and put in an order with Russell for one of their seats. Got an email back with a schedule build date of September 13th (6 weeks from now).

Not the greatest looking seat on a F800GS but for me they're a known entity. I've bought many seats off them and have only had to have one refitted. That was done quickly, professionally and to my satisfaction.

I've got a spare seat for the F800GS (bought on eBay) so I can swap out seats, based on the intended usage. The airhawk I bought is good for a 1-2 hour ride on the stock seat, but I wouldn't want to use it on a long trip.

Here's some pictures of the Russell seats on F650's (didn't see F800 pictures)

**UPDATE** Found these pictures from this thread:

IBA#42277

fosters2 screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 06:39 AM
Old 08-05-2012, 04:07 AM   #269
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,657
I am very happy with this. Mostly because it got rid of the slope! I am 6'2" and the raise was zero problem. Not that I am on this bike but I think the whole flat footed thing is over rated.

Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #270
OrcasKen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by endurorazor View Post
I was just about to pull the trigger on a new Renazco when I read this. I bought the Airhawk small cruiser and just finished a 3,400 mile ride in 9 days and the comfort difference during and after each day was nothing sort of amazing... For anyone that can't stand the stock seat and are contemplating gambling on an aftermarket seat, I highly recommend trying an Airhawk first!
I wish I had found this bit of knowledge two years ago. I went the Renazco route and for me, it was less comfortable than stock. I sold it a few months back and the new owner is saying it's not comfortable for more than 90 minutes. What a shame as they have such a great reputation for building excellent seats. I picked up a Touratech standard and it's better than stock, but doesn't come anywhere near close to the comfort of my Airhawk for long distance riding. While I'd still love to have a comfy do-everything seat, I'm done with mail order custom seats.
OrcasKen is offline   Reply With Quote