ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
westcoasttrekker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Multistrada on the WABDR

Some time ago my buddies and I had heard about the WABDR. We looked it up, watched some videos and checked out the website. We talked it over and decided we wanted to ride sections of it. Next we set a date to go and started choosing a route. The plan was to leave our homes in Stanwood, ride to Cle Elum then pick up the trail from there. We would then ride the route up to Hwy 20 then back home from there. We checked in to it a decided three days should be enough. This is our ride report.

The riders and bikes:
“SaltyDave” and his Ducati Multistrada 1200
“Westcoasttrekker” and my KLR 650
“PK” and his DRZ400

Photobucket
Note: SaltyDave and PK currently are not members of ADV but I’m working on it.
(pic)

After all the planning and reassuring the wife I would be safe and responsible it was time to sort out all the gear.

Photobucket

The next day I packed up the gear onto the bike for a test ride and headed to PK's house to put on my new rear tire. We would leave the following morning.
Photobucket

Here I am all packed up the morning we set off. My first stop was back to PK's, then we would ride thru Monroe and on to Snoqualmie along Hwy 203 and Hwy 202. SaltyDave would meet us in Cle Elum later.
Photobucket

Stopped in Snoqualmie for a break.
Photobucket

We then rode along I90 taking different forest service roads. I didn’t get any pics as I was having way to much fun to stop.

We finally made it to Cle Elum and stopped at Sportland Yamaha to wait for the Ducati.
Photobucket

We gassed up, had some lunch at Sahara Pizza in Cle Elum then headed to the start of Section 3 near Ellensburg. The scenery was already impressive.

Here we are stopped for pictures along FS 3500
Photobucket

Some cool rock formations along FS 3500
Photobucket

We finally hit the dirt and conditions were good. The roads were dry with some rocky sections here and there. We rode up past the Lion Rock CG turnoff road and hit some snow. There were tire tracks that went through the snow but the Ducatis tires didn’t grip on the slick stuff and it went down. Nothing broken except the riders pride. We picked up the bike and headed on.

We found a spur road and were rewarded with amazing views.
Photobucket
Photobucket

After a quick break and a few pictures we motored on towards Haney Meadow. We stopped for a few and checked out the cabin and views of the meadow. PK had been riding up here before on his DRZ and was getting ready to check out some single track until he read that it had been closed to motor vehicles. He seemed a bit sad.
Photobucket

So off we went on towards Cashmere.

What happened next changed the plans for the rest of the ride to Cashmere. As told by SaltyDave he was riding along and ran into some muddy ruts. There was a large stick in one of the ruts and he swerved to avoid it, because of his less aggressive tires he lost control and ended up crashing the bike onto the side of the road. He was okay but the bike wasn’t, he ended up breaking off his shift lever. After getting the bike upright we tried to come up with a fix. Since we didn’t have a welder or new lever we decided to make our way back to Hwy 97 to see if we could find a shift lever near Wenatchee. Fortunately he was able to shift with the edge if his boot and was able to make it back to the Hwy.

Since we were taking it easy I stopped to get some pics.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

It was getting late as we got closer to Wenatchee. All the motorcycle shops were closed so we decided to camp at Blu Shastin. The place was packed but the host got us in anyways, nice folks there, thanks again. This place isn’t roughing it, but it got us closer to Wenatchee.
Photobucket

While at the CG that night we tried to fix the lever with some quicksteel and see how it held in the morning. We set up camp, ate some MRE's and had a nightcap then went to sleep. The next day we got up and checked the lever, it felt solid so SaltyDave decided to he would try the next section without a new lever. So off we went to Cashmere.

As we were leaving this guy was pretty pissed at the noise we were making. He ended up chasing us out of the campground.
Photobucket

My Pics
westcoasttrekker is offline   Reply With Quote