User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
fosters2 OP
It is what it is

Oddometer: 197
Hiding/mounting the EZPass

I really dislike having to carry the EZPass in a bag or jacket, etc. Unfortunately, having an EZPass is pretty much a necessity in my neck of the woods.

Just picked up the F800GS two days ago so still finding my way around the bike. Turns out there is enough space between the top of the air filter housing and the battery cover (center trim piece where a tankbag would go), shown below as Item 1. Took out the six screws, piece of double sided tape, place the EZPass and close everything up. Works great and nice 'n secure.

IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
mitchapalooza
Rider is Air-cooled

Oddometer: 103
I used to carry mine in the pocket of my jacket, the stupid readers never picked up on it so I stuck it to the windshield with the 3m tape stuff. Just pull it off and toss it in my tank bag when I'm stopped so no one walks off with it.

I've heard of people putting it under the beak, but never under that top faux tank cover thing. I wonder if mine would read through my bag.... hmmmm... here torx bit...
mitchapalooza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
fosters2 OP
It is what it is

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchapalooza View Post
I've heard of people putting it under the beak, but never under that top faux tank cover thing. I wonder if mine would read through my bag.... hmmmm... here torx bit...
I think it has something to do with it being flat facing up to the reader. Not sure, but it was worked on four previous BMW's, even through tankbags. Of course, this one will probably make a liar out of me.

Of course, if one register's the bike's license plate on the EZPass site, you really don't need a transponder. Now the computer recognizes the plate and just debits the proper account.
IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
pkbinder
Helga The Red

Oddometer: 255
EZPass

Yes if you register your plates you don't need to carry the EZPass (or IPass in Illinois). But CAUTION! A friend was traveling in a different state where that trick DOES NOT WORK. You have to go through the gates, which is bad enough. My friend put his foot down to pay the toll, his foot slipped on the accumulated oil and down he and his 1200GS went. Avoidable if you display the pass when traveling outside your state. My .02 cents. PK
Old 07-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
TXalex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I installed mine (a Houston, TX EZTag) behind the windscreen. Took off the screen and then ziptied + stickytaped (are these actual words? They should be!) it to the horizontal black screen mounting bar. Despite the tag being one of those bulky ~10mm thick ones, the screen still fits perfectly when reinstalled - no bending or bulging thanks to the stock screen being curved outwards.

Doesn't look great, as it's rather visible, but it doesn't stick out and works.

Alex
TXalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 907
I put my EZPass in the map pouch on top of my tank bag. It works 99% as long as the EZPass is flat to the reader. Once I went thru the toll and didn't get the "thank you." I looked down and the EZPass had slid to one side due to an overfilled tangbag. Lesson learned. I have my bike tag linked to the EZPass and never received a fine/bill.
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
pkbinder
Helga The Red

Oddometer: 255
ez

I forgot to mention I painted mine black. Still works fine and blends in with the rest of the bike. I wedge it between the screen and the black plastic. PK
Old 07-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
jessehere
Ridin'

Oddometer: 764
Mine is in the bottom of my wunderlich bar bag. Now stay out of there.
jessehere is offline   Reply With Quote