KLIM Badlands Pro

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mrt10x, Feb 20, 2011.

1. rokdktr

rokdktr Adventure North

Oddometer:
    Okay....bought a Klim Badlands Pro jacket and am getting ready to pull the trigger on the pants. I am 6 foot, 225-230, wide shoulders, 38-40 waist depending on which asian country my jeans were made, 31 inch inseam, 46-48 chest I think.

I bought the XL jackets, as it seemed to be perfect arms and shoulders, but the mid seciton leaves a bit of room for under layers if need be. First ride it felt a bit loose but I am not sure if I want to downsize or leave it that way....I'll go try a L size tonight.

Should I be alright with a 38 pant? I'll try a 36 tonight but I guess there is some adjustment to the belt line correct? Enough to compensate for 38-40 waist in a size 38 pant? I'd like to simply order them online.
  2. DGraham

DGraham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't get the jacket yet but I spent a while trying em on. I'm 6'2" 205, 46 long. The XL definitely was a little large, but when I tried the Large, there was just no way. Probably with just a t shirt, almost livable but there was no way layers were going to fit. +20 lbs, I'd say the XL is for you. Pants I got and they are true to size, I'm a 35 and got a 36 Long and they cinch up fine. Little baggy in the ass, but I think they're just cut that way to be more comfortable riding.
  3. rokdktr

rokdktr Adventure North

Oddometer:
    You are correct. Went back to the shop and tried a L again and then the 38 again. The 36 fit like new leathers....NO way was I going to get anything more than an under style base layer in there....so the XL it is....no problem..love it so far but still to busy to get s good ride to try it out. 36 pants are a no go either...cant even get them up my legs...lol....have to try a 38 I think.
  4. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Rukka Armas has the Lockout as do the latest models. It hasn't been abandoned. Far from it. Frankly, I'll eat my words on this one. I love the Lockout. The rigamarole factor is extremely low now that the flaps and velcro have been eliminated. I tried on my friends Badlands Pro and I was annoyed by the pain the ass of entry compared to my Armas. I still am not sure how it's going to hold up long term, and how it'll hold in a tumble, but damn it sure is nice in daily use. Frankly, it works. It's that simple, and considering the experience I had with Gore today on an unrelated issue, I'm not too worried about longevity since they'll stand by it. Call me a believer.
  5. Rainier_runner

Rainier_runner Heh..?

Oddometer:
    Just some info from my own experience. I am a little bigger than you, but I wear a 38 in every pair of pants I own. I measured up with the Klim size chart, and figured for layering, and decided on the 40's. Extremely happy I did. They fit great with just Klim Tactical shorts underneath, but have room for under armour, or your choice of layering. Again, just my personal experience.
  6. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    Well it was your reviews that I based my statements on partially, so now you go and change your mind on me :D I know that KLIM eliminated the Lockout zips on the Adventure pants, but kept them on the jacket. I have had zero issues on the vent Lockout zippers as well.. keep it clean and oiled and it works like a charm. I would certainly be interested in seeing how that main zipper holds up under a 75mph skid and roll... then again I never would have thought of it if it hadnt been for your questioning it in other threads.
  7. levain

Oddometer:
    I still have longevity and crash concerns, and maybe that is reason enough not to have it. I can tell you that it is really nice in daily use. I've become a believer, but I still have a hard time believing that a (well engineered) piece
    of rubber is going to hold up to the stresses of long term use on a motorcycle jacket. I'll probably get bored with the jacket and move on to something else by then anyway:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  8. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, I finally got my pants....and they're tight. They fit very different from the Traverse. Waist is much higher. Wondering if they'll stretch out a bit??? They are snug and I can fit a belt and a pair of jeans under the Traverse, no way under the Badlands.
  9. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:

My [originally tight] 38" Badlands loosened up a bit to give some play and I even had to use the velcro adjusters on my cross country trip last month. I don't believe they are meant to be worn as overpants. The Badlands is more along the lines of a backpackers technical outer shell (with armor for our use) that is worn over baselayer/midlayer garmets.

[​IMG]
  10. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Good to know they'll loosen up and stretch out a bit. I've worn my Traverse over jeans and these were supposed to be sized the same, I realize they're not overpants. i had a pair of tiny TNF hiking shorts on, equivalent to a pair of LD's so was suprised to find them snug around the waist and hips a bit. They feel a bit like "mom jeans" on me, super high wasited. Hoping they stretch out a tad so I can hang them lower otherwise there may be a size 32 grey pants in the FM?!:huh
  11. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
    Am I missing something...?

The Rukka Armas is $1700 DOLLARS...

Ummm...thats a Klim jacket, pants and maybe even a new helmet, too...

...not judging here...just observing...
  12. levain

Oddometer:
    Of the handful of vocal Armas lovers on this site, I doubt there is a single one that paid that for the suit. It can be had for much less. I paid roughly what the badlands suit costs, so that is a wash.

Anyway, I bought mine before the Badlands came out. On spec, the badlands is probably a better suit with the extensive venting, chest armor and kidney belt being at the top for me. However, there is a certain elusiveness about a Rukka suit. There is just something about it. It really is something special that you notice the more you wear it. However, others are definitely gaining ground. I don't like the wannabe aesthetic of the Klim stuff, but that's just me. I would guess that the Badlands is a MUCH better suit to crash in, thanks to the more extensive use of Armacor, and the lack of the dubious stretch cordura that holds lots of the panels together on the Armas. I have serious doubts about the strength of this material. Armor coverage is much better on the Armas, with the obvious exception of the chest armor on the badlands. The upgraded D30 might be better on the badlands, but damn those pieces sure are small.
  13. GlobalTech

GlobalTech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did a 3500 mile tour of Alps, Dolomites and Pyrenees in the Badlands Pro suit in May. Temps ranged from -5c to +30c with sun, snow and everthing inbetween.
    The jacket performed brilliantly, the trousers leaked like a sieve, wet crotch at the first sign of rain.
    Sent them back under warranty (nigh on 4 weeks ago) and I'm getting the runaraound, Gore tested them and confirmed they leak (construction wise not material) and now they are with Klim USA for more testing.
    Unfortunately, my retailer is passing the buck and wont repair or replace until Klim give him the nod (he cant afford to) - Not impressed.
    I've since contacted Klim USA direct and now wait for their response.
    We pay a premium for Klim gear in the UK, the suit cost me ~1500GBP ($2200) and Ive spent shedloads of money with this retailer, but unfortunately valued customer I aint!
  14. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
    Your experience is why I went with the Klim product (USA source...not manufacture:-( ) with the Gore warranty verses trying to import a comparable suit. I've gone through a similar path as you with a BWM Coverall that took near a year to resolve...I was wary of a repeat. Global logistics is great until things don't work.
  15. levain

Oddometer:
    That sounds like trying to get a warranty claim on Rukka in the US:huh
  16. V@lentino

V@lentino V@lentino Supporter

Oddometer:
    I waited until it got resolved to post.

About 6 weeks ago I ordered a Badlands Pro Jacket and Pants from two different retailers (neither had both in stock). I was doing a trip to the US and had them shipped to a friend's to save taxes and shipping.

I pick up both and first thing I notice is that I was sent a latitude jacket instead of Badlands :huh. The retailer apologised profusely and paid for the return shipping and sent me the correct jacket home in Victoria. The pants performed great, hit quite a bit of rain on that trip and they remained dry. Despite some comments re. the large upper section, I find them to be quite comfortable, the fit is correct and I like the room. I am 6'2" 185lbs and ordered 36 T. I added a pair of cotton expandable suspender and they work great for me.

As others have pointed the jacket is a bit beefy but the waist straps is great and the armor quickly molds to shape. About a week after I received the jacket, I finally got to test it in the rain. I rode back home from my daily commute under the rain, it was raining hard but not thunder storm hard. When I got home the inside of my arms at the crook of the elbow were wet, there were circles of water on the sleeves of my shirt about 2 inches or so in diameter.

I was fuming :dog

I took some pictures and contacted Klim USA. They said that they would deal with it but asked that I went through DCI (Klim Canada supplier). I contacted them and spoke and exchanged several emails with the Manager. He was very helpful and kept me abreast of the conversations he was having with Klim USA.

They asked me to do a further test by taping the zippers on the sleeves and spraying them with a garden hose. I inserted a few rolled up shop towels and the test was conclusive, water was seeping through.

The conversation with the Canada rep remained very positive and professional but I still pushed for the jacket to be replaced since it was so new.

I read and understood the Klim warranty and know that it is discretionary on their part to see if they will repair or replace, but remember this is a week old jacket worth just under $1000.00. So considering their reputation, both on line and among the riding community I was pretty shocked to find out they would repair and not replace. The Canadian rep said he pushed for a replacement, for what it's worth I believed him.

So I shipped the jacket back to Idaho, and I have to admit that they were fast in rectifying the problem, I shipped it on the 11th and received an email today that they were returning it UPS overnight.

The customer service from Klim Canada has been top notch and the actual "repairs" were done without delay and shipped promptly.

Of course all the shipping cost where covered by Klim.

This said, what do you guys think of the whole thing? I must admit that I am left in quite a dubitative state. :hmmmmm. I mean they fixed and address the problem fast, efficiently and professionally, so I suppose I should be happy, but somehow I would have been happier if they would have replaced the jacket with a new.

Considering they are the manufacturer and they make the garments, am I not effectively getting a new jacket? I don't know:confused.

At the end of the day what is important is that the jacket does what it promises it will, and keeps me warm/cool and dry. So does it really matter if I got a lemon (it happens) and that they fixed the problem (only time will tell) by mending -this- new jacket instead of sending me a new one. Am I better off?

It's a corporate decision and essentially I have nothing bad to say about the company but...

I consistently have had problems when ordering on line lately, luckily I have dealt with generally professional organization but %*^(@)* I wish they would get it right the first time.

Micatech shipping error fixed and it was fairly costly for them and they gave me an extra bag liner

Touratech product not exactly working as advertised, walk me through a custom fix using something I had and offered to sell me an adaptor for $55.00 which I should not have needed in the first place. Used the custom fit.

Happy Trail shipping error, fixed it and offered me a minor discount on another product.

Altrider sold me a spot that was a recall unit, took me almost 2 months dealing with SPOT (Globalstar) to get a replacement unit, they extended my membership by 3 months. Altrider did nothing to help.

Wunderlich: map pouch on the tank bag became undone on first trip, company sent me a new pouch, first time I unzipped it to place a map in, the zipper tab stayed in my fingers. I attached a new tab, can't be bothered...

Kildala misunderstood my emailed itemized order, and forgot to send me a protective cover, since the price quoted included that part, they shipped me the part free up charge.

Flea Market, bought a used PIAA set and the relay on the harness appears to be defective, it could be installation error, but the more I look and test the more it looks like the relay is kaput.

WTF
  17. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
    My BMW Coverall zipper saga had me (1) returning the Coverall to a BMW dealer @ my cost then (2) the dealer would ship it to Rainy Pass for "repair evaluation". On the 1st original Coverall, Rainy Pass said they couldn't fix the separated zipper and BMW authorized a replacement that was (3) shipped to me at BMW's cost.

Had they been able to fix the zipper, I would have got the repaired, near new suit back.

Replacement Coverall: Steps (1) @ my cost, (2) & (3) repeated even though now me, the Dealer and Rainy Pass knew the zipper couldn't be fixed the "process had to be followed.

Replacement to the replacement: Steps (1) to dealer again at my cost, dealer went to BWM corporate crying foul and I got my money back for the coverall..........I was still out 3 shipment costs (about $75 total) and lack of use for a very expense piece of gear.

At a certain price level expectations and outcomes become different for how warranty is handled. For low cost items where it is more costly to repair than replace, replace is usually the option. For more costly items, items with extensive warranties, or companies that stand on a "lifetime warranty" reputation, they repair is usually the first solution for used items (if its still tagged and defective out -of-the-box replacement is the expectation). I've got a North Face Duffle that I purchased in 1980, the strap loop pulled out at the seam 24 years later.......TNF fixed it under warranty.

The Badlands is an expensive piece of gear, with a longer than usual warranty (item lifetime, not owner lifetime) and a waterproof guarantee for life from Gore, once I cut the tags off (Revzilla's point-of-no-return Warning!!) and wore it outside it was mine and no matter what we think, the condition of the item at that point goes from New to Used.

KLIM's Warranty page says repair is 1st option for used gear.

Unfortunately when it comes to waterproof/leakage conditions, the item will always be Used when a leakage is found, kind of a Catch 22 there.

The way I'd look at it, you already identified the manufacturing early mortality issues and should be good to go for years, if you got your out-of-pocket shipping costs back even better. But still stings some...........
  18. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    I think it's good that they repaired the jacket vs replace. Maybe others have had similar problems and they learned from their mistake on your coat??? And now they've thoroughly tested your coat, and are confident that you won't have any more issues. Just my .02
  19. V@lentino

V@lentino V@lentino Supporter

Oddometer:
    I kind of think that way too... In the end I dealt with a professional organization and they fixed my lemon:norton
  20. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I, for one, have never seen a riding jacket worth $900.00. To me it simply does not exist. Mine cost me 3 bills and has never leaked, fits like a glove, and is made by a very reputable company. I have looked at the Klim line and it doesn't do anything that other quality jackets and pants don't do. Plus they don't even offer anything in high viz. I guess to each his own.