ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #1531
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb McElroy View Post
Ted: I'm hearing good things about the book.. It's a little odd to hear about what I was doing or something I said... I really do need to get around to readIng it so I know what's in there! But the pics are great!
maybe nothing bad
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #1532
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
maybe nothing bad
but maybe nothing good either....
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #1533
Cord
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Lancashire, UK
Oddometer: 56
Book turned up yesterday, just in time for night shift. Can't see much work getting done now!! Had a quick flick through, looks brilliant so far.
Cord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #1534
bamarider
Adventure n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: N. Alabama
Oddometer: 94
Most Excellent

The book was waiting for me when I got back from my vacation. Have read up to the beginning of the race... Most excellent read!!!!

Ted, Thanks for such insight to the event..
__________________
'86 Honda VFR
'89 Honda Transalp
'91 Honda ST1100
All at home patiently awaiting my return

'89 Yamaha XTZ 750 Super Tenere
Balkans Adventurer...
bamarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #1535
Arctic traveller
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Arctic traveller's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Juneau Alaska
Oddometer: 172
Ted, thanks so much for the book, it's freeking awesome, far better than I imagined. I just got off a six week rotation at sea, and had planned to save the book for my next rotation, but within hours of getting it, I've already read way too much. I also watched about half the DVD, but I'm packing that away in my sea bag so I can watch it later. If your ever in Western Washington state in the winter, the beers on me. What the hell are we going to do next year without your play by play during the rally? Great job..........Arctic Traveller
Arctic traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #1536
mxmum
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 157
How can I purchase a copy of this book or is it not on general release yet because it sounds like a fantastic read and would love to buy a copy pleeeeeeeeeasssssssseeeeeeeee (nicely) ? and well done Ted for producing something that everyone is so proud to own
mxmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #1537
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmum View Post
How can I purchase a copy of this book or is it not on general release yet because it sounds like a fantastic read and would love to buy a copy pleeeeeeeeeasssssssseeeeeeeee (nicely) ? and well done Ted for producing something that everyone is so proud to own
Thanks for the kind words. The first print were spoken for by folks who pre ordered. Regular sales are set for the beginning of October. I hope your son does well this year, lots of us will be cheering for him
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #1538
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer
 
gagnaou's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: FLint Hills
Oddometer: 1,303
Ted,

I just got done last night, I would have been done sooner if things had not gotten so crazy around here. In any case, I loved the book, just because it provides as other mentioned an insider view of what it's going on in the bivouac and in the riders's head that we typically do not get from the media. The part that I loved was how you were able to convey that as the end is near, the riders are putting more pressure on themselves to finish. I guess that makes a lot of sense, but I had never thought about it that way.

Thanks for the good read!!! Where is the donation button to send you back next year
__________________
French vacation house for rent! 15 min from the WEC finale this fall!!!

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #1539
mxmum
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Thanks for the kind words. The first print were spoken for by folks who pre ordered. Regular sales are set for the beginning of October. I hope your son does well this year, lots of us will be cheering for him
Well I should have got my finger out and got in quick then, serves me right!! Will you let me know on here when it is available please!! Would love to invest in a copy if possible

Thank you for thinking of Sam, I am really hoping he will get chance to prove himself this year if the bike does not let him down, he has worked so, so hard to get to where he is at present so fingers crossed for him next year Oh, and the Pharaohs in Egypt first of course !!
mxmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #1540
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin
 
DesertSurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: City of the Angels
Oddometer: 1,234
It's well worth the wait...

I finally finished reading the first in the series of Tales From The Bivouac... over the holiday weekend. I saved the later half where I could lounge under the shade and read it between sips of suds. This is a great read and well worth the wait for anyone standing by for it's release. The only dissapointing part of the book is that it ends. I just wanted it to keep going... staying in the heads of everyone Ted followed... what their impressions were once the race was over... where did everyone go afterwards and what did they go back to after the race ended... and what was everyone's normal daily routines in life juxtaposed with what they had just come from. But of course that would have been another book's worth.

This book, TFTB One, REALLY DELIVERS.

And one of the special features of this book is that Ted plays it very neutral in his perspective of the event. There is no "hype", no "speculation" and no "opinion" to throw the reader down unexplained territory. It deals with a very specific focus, following the race from a few chosen riders who offer their experience first hand along with the support teams.

Of course there were opportunities to delve deeper into the controversies that went on during the Dakar '12. But in the scope of the book, nothing was more important to me then the experience of the explainable. And this was best described by the interviews of the riders throughout the book.

Covering the Dakar and describing it in a journal is no easy feat. And of course huge credit goes to Ned in sharing his invaluable information, strategies and experience throughout the race.

I owe a big thank you to all that allowed and offered Ted their insights during the '12 Dakar as well as the photography provided for TFTB.

Not sure if anyone's gave it any thought... but it would be great to watch a live presentation of the experience at the KTM Rally in Bend this September along with offering early release copies....

Just a crazy notion....
__________________
'"This whole memory lapse is gett'in to me. Hopefully I think I'll outgrow it."

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 02:10 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #1541
mxmum
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
I finally finished reading the first in the series of Tales From The Bivouac... over the holiday weekend. I saved the later half where I could lounge under the shade and read it between sips of suds. This is a great read and well worth the wait for anyone standing by for it's release. The only dissapointing part of the book is that it ends. I just wanted it to keep going... staying in the heads of everyone Ted followed... what their impressions were once the race was over... where did everyone go afterwards and what did they go back to after the race ended... and what was everyone's normal daily routines in life juxtaposed with what they had just come from. But of course that would have been another book's worth.

This book, TFTB One, REALLY DELIVERS.

And one of the special features of this book is that Ted plays it very neutral in his perspective of the event. There is no "hype", no "speculation" and no "opinion" to throw the reader down unexplained territory. It deals with a very specific focus, following the race from a few chosen riders who offer their experience first hand along with the support teams.

Of course there were opportunities to delve deeper into the controversies that went on during the Dakar '12. But in the scope of the book, nothing was more important to me then the experience of the explainable. And this was best described by the interviews of the riders throughout the book.

Covering the Dakar and describing it in a journal is no easy feat. And of course huge credit goes to Ned in sharing his invaluable information, strategies and experience throughout the race.

I owe a big thank you to all that allowed and offered Ted their insights during the '12 Dakar as well as the photography provided for TFTB.

Not sure if anyone's gave it any thought... but it would be great to watch a live presentation of the experience at the KTM Rally in Bend this September along with offering early release copies....

Just a crazy notion....
Very well said and now need to get my hands on a copy even more!!!
mxmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #1542
neduro
Addict
 
neduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 11,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
And one of the special features of this book is that Ted plays it very neutral in his perspective of the event.
This was a subject of discussion even during the race. We'd see things that seemed controversial or difficult to understand, and chat about how to relate the story to someone who wasn't there.

Ted was always steadfast in saying he'd just tell what he saw, and not get into speculation. At first I thought maybe he'd be leaving some interesting meat on the bone, but the more I thought about it, and especially now seeing the finished product, he was exactly right to do that. It would only have distracted from what is so real about the event.
__________________
Doubletake Mirrors- Folding D/S mirror that is both useful and indestructible.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #1543
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,017
one day I'll see my copy, sigh
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #1544
Robb Mc
what?
 
Robb Mc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Robb

Hope all is well
things is good. jobs suck. camping every weekend. riding most. working the rest of the time.
Robb Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #1545
Bluebull2007
Adventurer
 
Bluebull2007's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Lima, Perú
Oddometer: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
This was a subject of discussion even during the race. We'd see things that seemed controversial or difficult to understand, and chat about how to relate the story to someone who wasn't there.

Ted was always steadfast in saying he'd just tell what he saw, and not get into speculation. At first I thought maybe he'd be leaving some interesting meat on the bone, but the more I thought about it, and especially now seeing the finished product, he was exactly right to do that. It would only have distracted from what is so real about the event.
Yes but you can give us some meat here, Ned.. Aww come on, pleaaze?
__________________
-
-
Dreaming of Dakar
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014