Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #451
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
You know those crossings where the rails cross the road at an angle. Can be tricky, especially when wet. Can't type with these mini-keyboards...
Yep, took me a while to figure it out but I got there! I agree, those slanted RR crossings can can be tricky.

Cool to see you on here Motoriley. I've watched all of your YouTube videos and just picked up a f800gs of my very own.

To the group - It sounds like most people are happy with the bars they have...Altrider, SW-motech, Givi, Holan, Adv Spec, etc. Early on it seemed like some brands took a long time to ship, but I am guessing that isn't so bad now? Are there any particular companies that ship quicker than others? I am interested in getting some installed in a week if possible.
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #452
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMuck View Post
Yep, took me a while to figure it out but I got there! I agree, those slanted RR crossings can can be tricky.

Cool to see you on here Motoriley. I've watched all of your YouTube videos and just picked up a f800gs of my very own.

To the group - It sounds like most people are happy with the bars they have...Altrider, SW-motech, Givi, Holan, Adv Spec, etc. Early on it seemed like some brands took a long time to ship, but I am guessing that isn't so bad now? Are there any particular companies that ship quicker than others? I am interested in getting some installed in a week if possible.
just look around on the internet and take a look to the shipping delay. Otherwise you can find some on ebay from professionals.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #453
Lucifer666
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
You know those crossings where the rails cross the road at an angle. Can be tricky, especially when wet. Can't type with these mini-keyboards...
I wrote a little report about the crash on the train tracks, you can read everything here :
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801926

www.lucifer4x4.com
Be Realistic, Demand The Impossible!
Lucifer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #454
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMuck View Post

I ended up ordering the SW-Motechs from Twisted Throttle. They arrived extremely fast, installed easily, feel solid and look great!

GS-3

InTheMuck screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 03:49 PM
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #455
GSriderMike
The Lone Wanderer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
After being tossed up & completely lost in the different crash bars, I think I've finally settled on the GIVI's. But do you know if they will work with the BMW Bash Plate? I hope they do, if not I don't know what the heck I'll get instead. Also do they bolt up to the engine or to the two empty holes in the engine area? Do they offer fender protection? Thanks!
GSriderMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #456
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSriderMike View Post
After being tossed up & completely lost in the different crash bars, I think I've finally settled on the GIVI's. But do you know if they will work with the BMW Bash Plate? I hope they do, if not I don't know what the heck I'll get instead. Also do they bolt up to the engine or to the two empty holes in the engine area? Do they offer fender protection? Thanks!
I've got the Givi's on my 800 with a MOD skid plate (not that it helps you with the BMW one).
Easy install. It took me about a beer's worth of time with no extra parts left over at the end of the process.
Protection wise they have worked better than I expected. A couple of good 'incidents' and I have only minor scuffing of the paint...more than likely from my body on it's way to the ground. The only parts to touch dirt are the hand guards, Givi's and the foot pegs - on flat ground - gently lowered with loving affection...
I have, on the other hand, bent the bejeezus out of them and cracked one of the welds. The flat mounting plates on the upper right side are now wonderfully curved. Why I always fall to the right I haven't figured out yet. I used a sledge hammer to even out the left and right sides and all is good again until a new set arrives. They also work very well for leg rests on long highway stints and are great mounting points for lights or cameras.
Money well spent in my opinion.
Paul
Old 07-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #457
Manventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I am a SW-Motech, MOD Skidplate fan. I have used both extensively!!!!
Manventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #458
GSriderMike
The Lone Wanderer

Oddometer: 10
Got one more question, are the bars hollow? Or just a thick wall?

Thanks Paul... Lots of great info! Think you just solidified my purchase, also found out they work with the BMW bash plate too!

Givi's for the win!

GSriderMike screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 08:42 PM
GSriderMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #459
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
They're hollow.
I've got another set on order already but thought I'd try crashing one more time with the current ones.
I like the fact that these ones (aside from looking the best...) are far enough away from bodywork that when they do get bent no metal touches plastic. Would other bars have fared better in my particular crash at the speed I was going and on the same rutted dirt road...perhaps but probably not.
Still cheaper than new plastics.

and they look the best.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #460
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
They fit with the BMW plate, a friend has installed them both. I'm not sure as per the bolt points, can't remember ...

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #461
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 219
I've got the SW Motechs. I had a zero-speed stall-and-drop at a very uneven intersection a week or so ago, and the extent of the damage was scraping the finish on the engine bars. I think they've already paid for themselves.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #462
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 388
Givi + BMW bashplate = works fine.

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #463
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,101
Quote:
Yes
and I think yes (from the pics)
fender protection? I really don't think so.

If you don't want the BMW plate take the Givi one instead looks like the BMW one but 50$ cheaper

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #464
BMW F800GS Trophy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Adventure Spec on F800GS Trophy

Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #465
BMW F800GS Trophy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Follow up pictures on crash bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F800GS Trophy View Post

This was after a day ride in Arizona. A brutal trail "Back way to Crown King" Fractured ankle, fractured ribs and wounded pride. This ride was WAY over my skill level. The bike fared very well all considered. These crash bars did their job far and above my expectations.

http://www.azoffroad.net/#/backway-t...ing/4542007070