User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
zozie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Need some help finding a decent helmet

I'm trying to find a decent modular helmet with good wind noise protection. I got an HJC recently which is really bad..... I ride an F800R with the so called "sport windshield" which is utterly useless. I wear ear plugs on the hwy now bud would prefer not to. As soon as I hit about 60mph, the noise becomes really annoying. I would like something modular though so I can open the front end, preferably with a sliding secondary shade. The funny thing is I bought an $50 dollar VCAN helmet to use as my camera helmet and the wind protection is interestingly much better than on the HJC.

This is what I have now, so I need something better in the <$600 range.

Thanx
zozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,769
If I was going to spend $600.00 for a helmet, I would go to a shop that stocks a variety of helmets and try them on. Even if it meant riding somewhere far.

Fit is key to finding the right helmet for you.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Doug Just Doug
Silly Party Candidate

Oddometer: 518
Whatever you decide on helmets, you really should stick with earplugs. My .02, free of charge.

My stupid little website:Tilted Horizons
Doug Just Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
forrestlaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Whatever you decide on helmets, you really should stick with earplugs. My .02, free of charge.
+1

You are still going to get wind noise in the nicest, most expensive, best-fitting helmet.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
My two cents are that modulars seem to generally be rated noisier than regular full-coverage helmets, but even then the noise level will be too high to not use ear plugs. Have you checked out all the reviews on WebBikeWorld?
Old 07-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
#1 Shoei Neotec
#2 Nolan N104

I have the Nolan,,but would buy the Shoei if I was to do it again.

Also I would look for a true full face helmet with a modern large shield. The shield on my N104 is so large I never lift the chin bar except to take it off and put it on.. I would assume there are some full face helmets with a similar HUGE shield??
Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,307
Nolan n90 and nolan n103 flip up are 200 bucks online at places like new enoght, motorcycle super store and ironpony. Here a google shoping link for the N90 . below. I bought the N90 and found that it's one of the best helmets I ve ever owned. The N103 is better in that the locking Mech also has metal retaining clips. Review of it. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...et/nolan-n103/ The N 90 was award top 2010 Flip on web bike world. They were 350 bucks when they came out. The only 2 things I had a problem with was my N 90 had a chin vent pop off and all the sun visor scratched. 2 Emails to Nolan and they sent me these parts with no fuss . Also no charge. As to HJC Flip up I had one is was junk. The plastic parts inside it broke.

http://www.google.com/search?q=N+90&...w=1440&bih=728
Also nolan n103 for 30 bucks more

http://www.compacc.com/p/Nolan-N103-...-Color-Helmets
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
CBACH
Aimless Wanderer

Oddometer: 411
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803401

You're welcome

"Well Charley.....how much of a pussy do you feel like now?"
CBACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
andykeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Yeah, this. I've owned a bunch of good helmets in my time, and even the best ones still left me wanting earplugs. It's deceptive how much damage wind noise can cause, even if it's not at an uncomfortable level.
andykeck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #10
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
Yeah, this. I've owned a bunch of good helmets in my time, and even the best ones still left me wanting earplugs. It's deceptive how much damage wind noise can cause, even if it's not at an uncomfortable level.
Agree with them to because no matter whom makes it . every quantity helmet in the end damages you hearing because of sound level being to high. Even the really good ones are in the 80 something Decimal ranges. Long term you ll lose hearing. 40 bucks buys you a good set of custom ear plugs made for your ears.