User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #61
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 442
Everything Okay?

How're you doing out there? We haven't heard from you for a couple days, was wondering if you got your stator problems sorted.
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #62
See-Three OP
C3

Oddometer: 140
First thing this morning I started to tear into my bike. The parts were expected to arrive between 8-10am, They arrived at 9:30 and i had everything back together by 11am. Most importantly, problem solved

Shot at 2012-07-10

Shot at 2012-07-10

The night before i decided it was a good idea to swap my tires out. The rear went smoothy, but the front ...I've never had so much trouble with a tire... Pinched my heavy duity tube so badly that the patch blew a hole in itself when i set the bead, I decided to trash that tube and use my spare. I then pinched that tube, patched it, procedded to pinch it angain and finnally success, but wait.... I broke the bread on the tire! the next morning after installing the stator i went to a bike shop down the street to pick up a spare tube, he also had dirt tires at a good price so i picked up a new front. mine was sketchy! After hearing my story he ended up installing my tire free of charge

old rear vs new.

Shot at 2012-07-10
I got good at patching tires

Shot at 2012-07-10
Mikes powersports in Lamar CO. Mikes a good guy

Shot at 2012-07-10

Now I'm physicked! New stator and tires! I head back to where i left off of the TAT in Trinidad CO

OH yeah, On the way i basically ran out of gas. I had to tip my bike sideways to get the fuel from the other side of the tank. I managed to make it to a very run down house on the side of the road to see if i could buy some gas. they ended up fetching about half a gallon out back that was in a laundry detergent bottle! They also wouldn't accept any money.

Finally back on the TAT, everything seems to be going great, cursing at 50+ when a mule deer jumps out in front of me and is suddenly stuck on the road with barbed wire on one side and a river bed on the other. The deer suddenly tried to jump through the fence but didn't make. It was bad, we were cruising and i knew she must be in bad shape. I stopped not knowing what to do, she was dead within a minute.

That really sucked, I hate to see a wild animal go out like that.

Continuing on I start to get into some mountains, Wow Colorado is beautiful.

Shot at 2012-07-10

Then an all of a sudden, aww F^^#dge what now!

Tool tube is open again... throttle cable is is binding very badly, I can hear it's frayed up by the hard grip plus the cable strands are coming unwound. I make the throttle usable by tightening the return cable but it totally sucks.

Shot at 2012-07-10

The search for parts continues...

spending the night at sammies RV campground in La Veta Colorado.

See-Three screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 10:23 PM
See-Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #63
Nomomo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Damn C3, you've got some bad Karma. Your ride report is turning into a "how to repair a bike on the road" report. I'm sending some good vibes your way. Hoping things get better for you, you do seem to have the right attitude tho.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #64
Tompound
M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer: 369
RR = Road Repair
better check your sprockets and chain, and hows the wheel bearings?
great stuff I love the feeling of a successful road repair,
TET 2012 and then some
TWVT 2012
Tompound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #65
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,519
Good luck on your adventure.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #66
Fast Canoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hope you throttle cables hold up man! I'm guessing that little box on your bed is the aforementioned cooking supplies and cold weather gear? Awesome to see the help you've been getting from strangers, glad to know there's still a lot of people like that around. Good luck and stay safe bro!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #67
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,440
I'm not positive on that model, but you may be able to use the return cable for your throttle cable by swapping it over there, and just not using a return cable. At least that worked for me once during a race when my throttle cable broke.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #68
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,137
What Ted said swap the other cable over. Find a strong rubber band and rig it to help the throttle back into the off position. Should get you by. Glad the stator fix worked out.

Charlie
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #69
bcs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
...swap the other cable over. Find a strong rubber band and rig it to help the throttle back into the off position. Should get you by...

Charlie
You forgot to add "and be darn sure you know where the kill switch is--without having to think about it--just in case it sticks."
bcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #70
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Yeah, what ^ he ^ said.

Charlie
Old 07-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #71
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 477
Thumb

Great report see three. I'm hoping you got your throttle cables challenges worked out and your enjoying those new tires and less weight. I'm looking forward to the rest of your adventure.
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #72
1reddawg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,227
I'm In!!!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #73
See-Three OP
C3

Oddometer: 140
7/11/12
My morning was spent riding to Pueblo in search of a throttle cable. I first stopped by a big motorcycle dealership, but unfortunately they don't stock any throttle cables. They suggested I try Cycle Works also in Pueblo because they make custom cables. After finding cycle works, (the dealership gave me the wrong address) I found out they don't make cables, but he knew of a shop that did, Tote Gote sales, just a few minutes down the road. Arriving at Tote Gote I find out they usually only make cables once a day towards the end of the day because they have to heat up a pot of metal to forum the ends of the cables. Again, when they found out about my traveling they dropped everything and made me a custom cable. The owner of the shop also install it and wouldn't take more than 20 dollars!

Shot at 2012-07-12

Gaining altitude, I've got lighting and rain in front of me, but I press on hoping to use the last couple hours of day light.

Shot at 2012-07-12

Shot at 2012-07-13

Shot at 2012-07-13

Shot at 2012-07-13

Looking for a campsite. Failed this hill climb ...

still looking

Shot at 2012-07-12

Found one

Shot at 2012-07-12

7/12/12
This was without a doubt the best day of riding I've had in my life. Going over the passes in Colorado was out of this world. I wish had more time for this trip as i would have spent a couple days in the area exploring the trails.

The day was trouble free, got around 400+ Miles done on the TAT!

I should say almost trouble free as my tail light has gone out. But what do you expect, I just rode over the Rockies

Climbing Cinnamon pass

Shot at 2012-07-13

Shot at 2012-07-13

Shot at 2012-07-13

I'm quickly out of breath up here

Shot at 2012-07-13

Shot at 2012-07-13

going down felt far more sketchy

Shot at 2012-07-13

Shot at 2012-07-13

Shot at 2012-07-13
See-Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #74
cypert2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Glad to see your ride is going OK and hope your bike problems are over. Probably a little cooler in Colorado than it was in Arkansas. I'm the guy in the pickup trucked that asked if you were going to Oregon.
cypert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #75
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

C3, glad you are back on track. Great report. Me and my cohorts are right behind you. We leave for Cascade, Colorado on the 20th for a ride through Colorado, Utah and Wyoming. I can't wait.

What are the temperatures like in Colorado right now?