Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJS View Post
after looking thru some diagrams, turns out I had a couple of wires crossed on the ignition switch. I cleaned everything up and soldered in a 10amp blade fuse.
Good job. Where did you solder in a new 10 amp fuse, and why? Just curious.
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
ChristianJS OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
In the top fuse slot. I didnt like the way the german fuse was sitting in there, and it was a bit hard to access so I had a spare part from a gps unit, and soldered the wires to each end of fuse clips. Now it is tucked right down in front if I have a problem again (with horn or something).

ChristianJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #18
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

That could be handy. When you say it's now "right down in front" do you mean that it's close to your relays in the front of the bucket or that the fuse is now located outside the bucket? And a second question: why a 10 amp fuse and not an 8 as in OEM? I think I can guess the logic (10 won't blow as easily) but I have to assume you're putting the wiring at greater risk. No?

I know what you're saying about how awkward it is to remove and install those fuses, and, for that matter, to deal with the tight connectors on the board. I've found that the following tool makes all the difference:

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/1000/221829443.jpg

Horsehockey screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 12:05 PM
Old 07-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
ChristianJS OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
only put a 10 in to test, as i didn't have any 8's on hand. I'll grab some before I wrap everything back up. I left it inside the bucket, but in front of the rats nest of wiring
ChristianJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJS View Post
only put a 10 in to test, as i didn't have any 8's on hand. I'll grab some before I wrap everything back up. I left it inside the bucket, but in front of the rats nest of wiring
Good man. Now someday, when you've got way too much time on your hands, it's a good idea to remove and clean up and dielectric grease all the connectors in the bucket (one at a time unless you want to experience a nightmare). Same with the ground connections on the main spine under the tank and, while you're under there, remove, clean and grease all connectors on the starter relay. Maybe you've done all this already. If not, it can save you lots of grief down the road.