User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
hoodun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Piston Rings

I am replacing the rings on my r90/6 and cannot figure out how the middle and top go on. One of the rings is split in two pieces. Im guessing this is the middle ring and the thin ring goes in closer to the oil ring? Here is what I received.

hoodun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,654
The two very thin rings and the 'corrugated' ring combine to make the oil control ring. The 'corrugated' ring is called the expander and goes into the bottom groove first. Make sure the ends don't overlap. The two thin rails go on next. Make sure that none of the ends are aligned.
Next comes the 'second' ring. Which one that is depends on the shape of the ring groove. It needs to match the profile of the ring. Carefully look at the profile of the ring at the gap to see what's up. One way to check is to install the ring in it's groove and see if it will slide into the groove all the way until it's flush with the ring land. The ring land is the material between the grooves. But whatever marking is on the ring, usually at the gap, goes on top.

I'd strongly suggest a service manual, btw. It'll really help with stuff like this.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote