User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #466
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 569
Denfeld

are good Denfeld/Police single seat repros available?

I found these on the web and its not that sweet:

http://www.bmwbayer.de/Single-seat-f...xer-model.html
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #467
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Thurlo View Post
are good Denfeld/Police single seat repros available?

I found these on the web and its not that sweet:

http://www.bmwbayer.de/Single-seat-f...xer-model.html
I have that seat. I really can't remember where I got it but I'm thinking it was IBMWR.org and I got really lucky.
I loooove the seat. It looks perfect and it's pretty comfy.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #468
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,340
There are a couple different repros. That is the best of them as it has the NLA front seat hinge. They are made for or buy Siebenrock. I have purchased 3 or 4 of these this year and myself and everyone has been really happy with them.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #469
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
http://www.bikeexif.com/vintage-bmw#more-14158

Question: Would it be better to use a LWB /5 for a scrambler or would a SWB be fine?
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:04 AM   #470
Buffel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzitaco View Post
another...same bike
Does someone know where i can buy that seat?! I want it, no i need it!
Buffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #471
motog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
http://www.bikeexif.com/vintage-bmw#more-14158

Question: Would it be better to use a LWB /5 for a scrambler or would a SWB be fine?
The bike you linked to is a SWB, so is the one I'm building at the moment.

On the road the SWB bikes were known for their better handling (than the LWB) on twisty roads. They were also known for a potentially dangerous high speed wobble that can develop almost without warning if any of the steering, tyres, frame etc elements weren't right (experienced it only once in 5 years on my bike when the tyres were a bit worn and it scared the bejesus out of me)

If you're going to use your scrambler at lower speeds on dirt roads it probably won't make much difference but the SWB might have a slight edge in terms of handling.

Two practical things to keep in mind:

First: Taller riders can find that their shins are constantly knocking or resting against the carbs on the SWB due to restricted space. I'm 6 foot (180cm) and I find that it can happen - never been painful but that's probably because the shin pad on my boots protects me. I wouldn't advise wearing sneakers.

Second: the SWB only had a short model run. There are a few parts that were only made for that bike (eg seats, tool trays, swing arms etc) that are not compatible without modification for the LWB and are in very short supply. The LWB has better availability of these parts because they were continued into the /6 and (some) /7

Personally I like the SWB better and can live with its foibles. My advice is see if you can't get a ride on one of each and see which you prefer.

Jim
motog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #472
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by motog View Post
If you're going to use your scrambler at lower speeds on dirt roads it probably won't make much difference but the SWB might have a slight edge in terms of handling.
When I played around with swingarm length if found shorter (SWB or R65 length - 37mm) a disadvantage on dirt roads.
The rear end transitions into slide quicker and it is harder to dial in the right amount of power to maintain & control the slide compared to a standard (LWB) or extended +?mm swingarm.
Long also gives a more planted feel to the front end as the wieght bias is a little more forward

In the sealed tight twisties and between the trees short was good.
Powerslide thu sweepers long +100mm was the way to go.
Everthing in between up to you but I settled on the std /6 onwards length as being the best all round.
The longer swing arm definatly produces better ride comfort on a dirt road.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #473
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
When I played around with swingarm length if found shorter (SWB or R65 length - 37mm) a disadvantage on dirt roads.
The rear end transitions into slide quicker and it is harder to dial in the right amount of power to maintain & control the slide compared to a standard (LWB) or extended +?mm swingarm.
Long also gives a more planted feel to the front end as the wieght bias is a little more forward

In the sealed tight twisties and between the trees short was good.
Powerslide thu sweepers long +100mm was the way to go.
Everthing in between up to you but I settled on the std /6 onwards length as being the best all round.
The longer swing arm definatly produces better ride comfort on a dirt road.
That's the info I was needing to hear, One of my future projects is an R65 based Scrambler and was leaning towards LWB rear, now I know why. I don't have much if any dirt experience. This is a big help and a nice simple explanation.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #474
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
That's the info I was needing to hear, One of my future projects is an R65 based Scrambler and was leaning towards LWB rear, now I know why. I don't have much if any dirt experience. This is a big help and a nice simple explanation.
Same here. You can see in at least one photo the tight clearance with the tkc80 on that CRD scrambler. I took a look at my SWB R60/5 and there is not much room. It handles ok on dirt roads, and wasn't sure if that's more of a BMW characteristic or not. The only other airhead I've ridden other than my GS is my RS and even that thing is ok in the dert. I wasn't sure if the longer swingarm would be better to get more travel, or if there is a handling benefit, too.

I'd be ok with making a new subframe, and one thing I really like on that CRD bike is the seat.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #475
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castironmeyer View Post
I have been reading good things about Heidenau K60's from what I read they stick really good, last long (about 7k miles), and are cheaper than most. ($120.00 for 19" front on ebay) here is a link http://basinmotorcycleworks.com/heidenau.htm

I am leaning towards putting them on my ST before spring

I have had them on my ST for a couple of years now, with no issues, great tyres.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #476
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
I have had them on my ST for a couple of years now, with no issues, great tyres.

I have them on my '91 GS ... Love them. My only concern was riding in wet conditions ... and when the tires were new I did feel them slide a bit. But after 200 miles or so ... the tires have much more grip in wet conditions than I was expecting. So ... Great Tires.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #477
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Silly question, because I think I know the answer, but it's possible to fit a later model swingarm on an early /5, correct?

I really like riding my r60 but I'm thinking of doing the scrambler thing with it. Might be cheaper to replace the swing arm than get a different bike.. and I'll be less likely to get another speeding ticket with the speedo in KPH (poor excuse, I know). Can't imagine I'll be doing 90 with knobbies.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #478
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Silly question, because I think I know the answer, but it's possible to fit a later model swingarm on an early /5, correct?

I really like riding my r60 but I'm thinking of doing the scrambler thing with it. Might be cheaper to replace the swing arm than get a different bike.. and I'll be less likely to get another speeding ticket with the speedo in KPH (poor excuse, I know). Can't imagine I'll be doing 90 with knobbies.

Very possible ... even prefable ... but you're going to need a new subframe, new fender, hopefully the shaft will come with the swing arm, a new seat, and new bag mounts (if you have em').
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #479
Buffel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114

does someone know where i can buy this seat?
Buffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #480
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffel View Post

does someone know where i can buy this seat?
That looks like a modern Triumph Scrambler solo seat but smaller, so it might be custom made.

1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote