Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Retired at 35K?! It's barely broken in!

Lol, but it wasn't that great to start with.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by myko View Post
I don't tinker so low maintenance is a bit of a priority and am aiming to take it on the freeway for a few hours then chew up some gravel in the mountains.
From the OP for those who seem to have missed it.

No motorcycle with that many miles is going to be suitable. Reading between the lines (assuming, I admit), he doesn't do his own maintenace. Both bikes will need LOTS of tinkering at that mileage and a dealer isn't going to spend weeks or months scouring Ebay for just the right deal on a shock or a driveshaft or a replacement radiator. He's going to be paying full retail to have that crap fixed, plus labor.

My first '88 GS needed exhaust valves at 60K, had already eaten it's first transmission and had a Works Performance shock. The 95 GS ate it's transmission at 20K (full lubrication failure due to improper bearing installation at the factory).

The WeeStrom has such typical, low-grade Japanese components that it should be embarrassing. Factory chains and sprockets that eat themselves in shockingly low time (and usually get replaced with the same low-quality crap), cheap controls and switches. I can't imagine the rear shock is anything to write home about. As already mentioned, it's built to a price point. They're a great value but, when they wear out, they wear out and you ain't gonna' keep one on the road without tinkering.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #18
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,574
I commented on stroms not being well made to begin with, nothing else. I consider a bike that lasts 100k with no issues well made don't you? 3k for an old
BMW or strom is a bit high yes, no argument there.

As to respond to donkey, most strom chains go 20k+ so there must be something wrong with your maintenance routine or it is a fluke.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 431
Wink Bmw

Get the BMW end of discussion - Please close this thread!!!!

Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #20
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
You see where this is posted right? What answer did you expect?

You may laugh at my KLR suggestion, but I can tell you a KLR is only slightly less sophisticated than a 650 Dakar..........and a 650 Dakar will run circles around a similarly set up R100GS.

People romanticize airheads, but they are not that special.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
As to respond to donkey, most strom chains go 20k+ so there must be something wrong with your maintenance routine or it is a fluke.
Not mine--a friend's. It was thrashed well before 20K. I'd have to call him to verify but, it may have been earlier than 10K. Made of butter. Not particular to the Strom...all the Japanese bikes do it, except the high-end sport bikes (where they simply can't get away with a cheap chain). Again: designing for a price point. They aren't going to put nice components on a bike that has to compete over a few hundred dollars with their competitors.

None of this debate matters to the OP, though. I surf CL at least to the Mississippi every night for a long list of bikes. The bay area, Sacramento and nearby areas have so many motorcycles that settling for either of the options originally presented is just a bad idea.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #22
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
The bay area, Sacramento and nearby areas have so many motorcycles that settling for either of the options originally presented is just a bad idea.
Yes.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #23
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 415
Been watching that bumblebee myself ...on c list .. been there awhile ..Pondered buying as a project ...Buy the gs ..I would Stu
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #24
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 551
Weestroms are reliable up to 89,999 miles then who knows. I would say if you are not one to tinker or work on the bike yourself I would buy neither. Spend a little more for a lower mile machine.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #25
myko OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
thanks all

my trusty KLR beat me up pretty good on our last long freeway trip
after which my back was insistent about chunking the thumper

the f650gs twin seems idea due to it's relatively low weight, low seat, and high gas milage but
it's definitely out of my price range so I might check out the gs single to see how it compares
to the klr, which was just too tall for my inseam deficient self
myko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:33 AM   #26
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

How do you own a KLR and not tinker? Lots of people based the advice on what you posted. I'm not mad...it's just that we may have steered you wrong, depending on your real threshold of 'tinkering.'

A GS is still not a great offroad bike. I don't think most of that bodywork is available anymore and a crash will leave you hunting for fairing side panels, etc, for a long time. You can ride it on dirt roads but, you need to do it with finesse and care. It's not a dirt bike.

Likewise, the Weestrom will probably explode in a shower of shattered plastic if you lowside it hard enough on a fire road.