Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
The Other JC OP
4 year lurker..

Oddometer: 190
R1200GS Adventure - Remove petrol tank, install Hyperpro shocks

This will be a four part post. Intro, petrol tank removal, front shock install and rear shock install. It's too long for one post.

CURSE YOU ADVRIDER... I don't know I need stuff until I read it on these forums.

I tried for a long time to ignore the posts on dampers, but finally it got the better of me and the itching to add stuff to the bike became too strong.

After a lot of investigation and reading on the advantages of aftermarket shocks I finally decided on a set of Hyperpro shocks front and rear. I was not unhappy with the stock shocks, but with a tendency to bottom out on occasion I thought new shocks at 36000klm would be a nice upgrade for the bike, and make it ready for the off road trip planned this year.

I also thought it opportune for a write up of the petrol tank removal and refit that others have asked for. It is detailed, and while it may all seem obvious, you never can know exactly what is helpful or not. Rather have more info than less. I will also add that I always take the path of caution and remove anything that seems like it will get in the way. I would rather spend an extra 20 minutes stripping items than the bikes lifetime wishing I had done a little extra to ease the job when damage occurs.

Some discussion pages for reference on the Hyperpro shocks that helped sway my decision.

After much consideration ($$$$$) I finally settled on a front 360 emulsion shock and rear Type 467 MX body shock with fixed reservoir. The addition of a $300 pre-loader for the rear was just too much $$ to rationalise. Speaking with Walter, the owner and resident suspension expert, it became apparent it was probably more than I needed.

So the order was made.

Additionally I ordered a dirtskin for the rear shock from http://www.dirtskins.com. Manuel of Dirtskins advised they could make a custom skin when I enquired for the Hyperpro given the dimensions required. I ordered a solid black 270mm circumference x 260mm length dirtskin. Very impressed with the quality. It wraps round and secures itself with Velcro. I have just found they have a custom order page which I did not know about!!.

So with shocks and dirtskin in hand the day was upon me to start the conversion.

Part 2 tomorrow, this is taking longer than I expected ..maybe not so long, part 2 posted.

The Other JC screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 05:05 AM Reason: update
The Other JC is offline   Reply With Quote