User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
OK, those latest pictures help.

1. Remove the battery, you need to slide the clamshell back a we bit more.
2. I still do not see any extra hoses attached, unless you are thinking of the 2 choke cables. They should have enough length on them to be able to remove the clamshell and let hang from them.
3. The current air filter in there is not installed correctly, it is sideways.
4. Sometimes the rubber ends on the air filter will adhere themselves to the aluminum casing and make it hard to pull apart.

From What I see, after removing the battery, you should be able to get your hand in the back side there and fingers in the front and just pull out to the side of the bike. May have to try and pry the air filter away from the casing a bit to loosen it.

Don't be to afraid of using some good force and wiggling.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #17
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
OK, those latest pictures help.

3. The current air filter in there is not installed correctly, it is sideways.

Don't be to afraid of using some good force and wiggling.
Actually I don't think so. The picture that shows the airfilter is taken from the rear and slightly above. See the aluminum protrusions of the clam shell that locate the airfilter when assembled. The two shells are separated enough for the filter to now have fallen down.

I still don't see the problem tho. I sometimes hit things with a big hammer when they don't move. In this case I might even use my rubber hammer so I do less damage.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #18
rustygardhouse OP
rusty

Oddometer: 68
I figured these pictures wouldn't help a lot.

I'll give this a try again on the weekend. If I can't get the housing off, I'll try for a better pic of the inside. If I do get it off, I get a good pic of the engine vent hose going into a cast feature of the housing.

Either way, I'll contribute to the general knowledge of the forum.

Stay tuned!

R
rustygardhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #19
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Disston, I stand corrected. I went back and looked at the pictures again. Yes, that pic appears to be from the top and the filter has fallen down.

Still can't see why the shell will not come off. It looks like it is almost there. I am wondering if maybe it just needs a heavier hand. After removing the battery. The PC680 is a bit larger that the original Yuasa that came with the bike. There should not be any extra tubes to remove.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #20
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I also have no idea what this tube is that is in the way. But I don't have an R65. Still it doesn't make sense that as far as he's got it now it still won't come completely off. Everybody has to be cautious, don't want to cause damage, but sometimes you gotta bang on these things.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 07-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #21
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,317
It has been decades since I've looked closely at the insides of an R65. But this bike has dual crankcase breathers (one to the right carb, the other to the left carb). Enhancing the shadow detail on the "view from up top" photo, I see a breather tube going to the left clamshell being removed. That is keeping it from being removed. DISCONNECT the positive battery terninals to get them out of the way. You'll need to swing the rear of the left clamshell out past the battery and wiggle it off of the breather tube. If you can't get it past the battery, remove the battery (you'll probably need to remove the bolt from the front of the lift handle to get side-clearance). If the choke cables are limiting motion, remove them. With the old single-breather on the right system, the left clamshell is a tight fit coming out, I can only imagine how much harder it is on the newfangled motorbikes.

At least, that's how I would try it. YMMV.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
rustygardhouse OP
rusty

Oddometer: 68
OK, It's a nice sunny Sunday in Canberra. I had a great ride this morning. Obviously it's time to tear the bike apart..

I wiggled the LH housing cover off praying that I didn't trash the engine breather tube.

Now, for all interested, here's a picture of the inside:

The LH engine breather line is hanging in air but you can clearly see the RH line passing through a cast in feature in the RH side. The LH cover is the mirror.

& not for completeness, a close up of the breather lines:

The LH breather line slipped out of the cover so on re-assembly, I wiped it with DC4, slipped it into it's hole in the cover & wiggled the cover back in place. I stuck my finger in the induction hole & can feel the end of the line. But I'm going on blind faith that it's not kinked. I'm hoping the slip-tivity of the DC4 & a bit of vibration will help it find it's place.

Do these pictures jog anybody's memory? Or is this the first time anyone has seen this arrangement?

I am getting really good at finding the hole for the bolt...

R
rustygardhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #23
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,317
Good. That is how I visualized that it should look. One change from the old /5 clamshell: that allen-head bolt under the LH breather tube is actually arranged with another spring clip so the R65 is easier to wiggle off:

And check the bolt on the righthand clamshell that is between the breather tube and the fuel crossover hose-- it looks loose. This would also be a good time to replace the fuel line crossover hose. Used to be that the "VW cloth-covered 7mm hose" would fit better than the usual USA hose; dunno about these newfangled bikes...
Old 07-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #24
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I think the "new" bikes use 8mm hose so they can also use the American 5/16es. Such are the market forces.

So my /6 has the /5 breather set up I guess because it's 1975. There is one breather hose blocking a good 25% of the right side air tube. This has bothered me for way too many years. I rode without the breather for years so debris could just enter at will. Now I have the hose shortened at least but this is not good enough. I just have not come up with a plumbing solution to this aberration.

I haven't done this yet but one idea is to block the hole so clean air reaches the engine insides and plumb the breather to an outside dump. I think others have done this.

The set up on your R65 is sweet. Don't think it fits earlier bikes because the breather is in a different place.