ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #46
Kali Trailrider
PLATED X2

Oddometer: 460
Rincon trail

If you ever wondered what Rincon trail is like...

These are perfect pictures of the mountain you would be coming down.
The trail drops 4000' feet in about two miles on narrow single track.
And that is the easy part because when you get to the bottom.
It is another maybe 8 or 10 miles of rocky sandy river crossing back and forth from ridge to ridge.
Oh and it's usally about 100 degrees at this lower elevation.

But after a ride like this you never forget it....If you survive it.

Edit : Page 3 Perry's pictures from "Dome Rock" with "The Needles" in it...
Rincon trail is on the right of the picture... The cedar canyon part of the trail coming down the mountain

Kali Trailrider screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 10:38 AM
Kali Trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #47
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRider650 View Post
If you ever wondered what Rincon trail is like...

These are perfect pictures of the mountain you would be coming down.
The trail drops 4000' feet in about two miles on narrow single track.
And that is the easy part because when you get to the bottom.
It is another maybe 8 or 10 miles of rocky sandy river crossing back and forth from ridge to ridge.
Oh and it's usally about 100 degrees at this lower elevation.

But after a ride like this you never forget it....If you survive it.
Yeah, I've "read" the trail from the map and spotted it here and there from my Jeep. I think I need to, oh I dunno, actually get some unpaved experience first. Maybe even use a bike that isn't about 370 pounds ;)
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #48
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,917
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #49
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi View Post
Nice pics Perry, looks like you had fun! I'm 99% in for the Aug 24-26 KM ride I've been waiting for something to come up on a weekend that I don't have my son

JP
Hey JP, that's good you can make M1jeeps KM ride this year, Josh is in too, that makes three of us from CVDR. Cool... Anyone else?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #50
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 1,002
lets ride the rincon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRider650 View Post
[

RINCON..!! Coming down Cedar canyon and no one ever wants to ride it with me...
When I say lets ride Rincon thay look at me like I have lost my mind..!!
JERRY, you'll never us say to riding the rincon
we rode the lower part last year: much shorter and easier than some have made it out to be
now we gotta go do the upper section or the whole cannell-roncon loopwhen it gets cooler, let plan it when we go do windrats full moon ride in sept

I am in not associated with happy-trails.com
I am the original happytrails
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #51
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Rincon and cedar are wide open trails this days , The first time i drop down cedar and rode the upper part o rincon was hard the see the trail in the top , we folow wath we think was the trail and half way down we founfd the actual trail , full overgrown and tons o tree's, same with rincon spend the night on the trail because was no trtail the ride and that take tons o time , couple years later we found the USFS want to close it so we went and clear the trail and fix all the issues they sem to have Dave(lonewolf ) and myself have over 600 volunteer hours each o trail work in 2 years period and the trail was finish with the help o ktmtalk members in 2003 ,wen we re route the switch backs in the south part o the trail before packsadle cave, that same year we fix the swicht back right pass salmon creek bridge and since theme the trail only need brush and tree clear, 2 years ago stewards o the sequoias clean it and re adopt it because they can .we never got a single phone call asking iff we want to help or anything , but that is SOS , they think the have to have their nose everywear.
Soon the piutes maps be relese and all the good trails there be destroy also .
At least no many riders ride the domeland area .Is the only part unmolested in the southern sierras

that is a little be the history and why the trail still there.

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #52
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick View Post
Rincon and cedar are wide open trails this days , The first time i drop down cedar and rode the upper part o rincon was hard the see the trail in the top , we folow wath we think was the trail and half way down we founfd the actual trail , full overgrown and tons o tree's, same with rincon spend the night on the trail because was no trtail the ride and that take tons o time , couple years later we found the USFS want to close it so we went and clear the trail and fix all the issues they sem to have Dave(lonewolf ) and myself have over 600 volunteer hourKs each o trail work in 2 years period and the trail was finish with the help o ktmtalk members in 2003 ,wen we re route the switch backs in the south part o the trail before packsadle cave, that same year we fix the swicht back right pass salmon creek bridge and since theme the trail only need brush and tree clear, 2 years ago stewards o the sequoias clean it and re adopt it because they can .we never got a single phone call asking iff we want to help or anything , but that is SOS , they think the have to have their nose everywear.
At least no many riders ride the domeland area .Is the only part unmolested in the southern sierras

That is a great story Javier on the history of the Rincon/Cedar canyon trails. Thanks for all you're trail work up there! It's nice to have these trails close to home...By the way the suspension on the KTM 525 is still working great! And I pound on it alot, over 120 hours since you "trailtricked it".
Old 07-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #53
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinocono View Post
I unexpectedly have vacation time from July 21-29, and my significant other has given me a hall pass.

I'd like to take a trip in the Sequoias, but I'd rather not go solo. Anybody up for a 3-5 day trip up there? I'm fairly flexible. It could be a fully self contained trip on the bikes, or I'm open to trucking up there, set up a base camp, and take day trips from there.

I'd be on the Husky in the sig, skill level-cautious intermediate.

Anybody game?

Dave
Dave,
I'll meet you up there if its on a weekend, send me a PM.
Perry
Old 07-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #54
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Dave,
I'll meet you up there if its on a weekend, send me a PM.
Perry
Thanks Perry, but plans have changed since I posted that. I am going to try to make KM at the end of Aug.

Dave
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #55
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinocono View Post
Thanks Perry, but plans have changed since I posted that. I am going to try to make KM at the end of Aug.

Dave
Ok Dave,
See ya at KM in August...
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #56
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Question Anyone want to ride on the Green hill this Sunday?7/22

Pm me if interested...8:00 AM till dark.

pcvance screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 07:52 AM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #57
sam_wilson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick View Post
Rincon and cedar are wide open trails this days , The first time i drop down cedar and rode the upper part o rincon was hard the see the trail in the top , we folow wath we think was the trail and half way down we founfd the actual trail , full overgrown and tons o tree's, same with rincon spend the night on the trail because was no trtail the ride and that take tons o time , couple years later we found the USFS want to close it so we went and clear the trail and fix all the issues they sem to have Dave(lonewolf ) and myself have over 600 volunteer hours each o trail work in 2 years period and the trail was finish with the help o ktmtalk members in 2003 ,wen we re route the switch backs in the south part o the trail before packsadle cave, that same year we fix the swicht back right pass salmon creek bridge and since theme the trail only need brush and tree clear, 2 years ago stewards o the sequoias clean it and re adopt it because they can .we never got a single phone call asking iff we want to help or anything , but that is SOS , they think the have to have their nose everywear.

Downt noo wath yous saein, try SPELL CHECK ! it really does work.
sam_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #58
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_wilson View Post
Downt noo wath yous saein, try SPELL CHECK ! it really does work.
Just look at the pictures and dream about a little ride with TT
Its not eazy being a noob
Old 07-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #59
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrat View Post
Just look at the pictures and dream about a little ride with TT
Its not eazy being a noob
Yeah, good luck keeping up with Javi on his goat trail rides... and his spelling is just fine, got every word.(South American English)

I went for a solo ride yesterday in Sequoia NF , did 117 miles of mixed single track, FS road and slab, RR and pics coming soon.
The weather and trail conditions were awesome, a little bit of rain for dust control, and the cloud cover kept the temps down...

Perry

pcvance screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 08:38 AM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #60
Kali Trailrider
PLATED X2

Oddometer: 460
Cool2

I went for a solo ride yesterday in Sequoia NF , did 117 miles of mixed single track, FS road and slab, RR and pics coming soon.
The weather and trail conditions were awesome, a little bit of rain for dust control, and the cloud cover kept the temps down...

Perry[/QUOTE]

Wow Perry..!!
It must be nice having some of the best riding in Cali so close to home..!!

I think it was about 104 degrees at my house Sunday...
My wife and I hit Costco and then spent the rest of the afternoon in the pool with the kids.

Looking forward to the pictures..
And maybe someday soon spending a couple of days exploring the Greenhorns with you..!!