User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #46
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
oil analysis

the values for zinc and phosphorus in the above Blackstone analysis are not at all impressive. aren't those substances the very additives that separate automobile oils from good motorcycle oils?
Old 06-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #47
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
the values for zinc and phosphorus in the above Blackstone analysis are not at all impressive. aren't those substances the very additives that separate automobile oils from good motorcycle oils?
Tripletreat - Thanks for your comments. I think you are comparing the results to the universal averages which is deceptive (see Blackstone doc below). For example the Royal Mfg. oil has an extremely low molybdenum disulfide reading (1) compared to the universal average (64) so that is bad right, it must be (same goes for magnesium)? Not exactly, since it would be bad for a wet clutch to have a high reading, the clutch would slip excessively on a motorcycle.

So the universal averages is just that, it includes every oil out there tested from marine, heavy machine to aviation oil results. It is more important to have a balanced additive package that will maintain its properties over the life of the oil in addition to a high-quality synthetic base such as POA. In addition it is about how that oil is able to retain the additive and TBN levels over the life of the oil. The zinc reading is high and it varies a bit between batches, we might test it again and I bet it would be higher or a bit lower, this is measured in PPM...

Most of us are not scientists so I go by what the comments are given by the lab tech that did the analysis and this is very positive "Yep this looks like good oil".
Like I have said, if you buy some and you are not happy with the performance; we stand behind it. If you run it and you dont like it I will pay you back $6.16 per quart.

aiMhi screwed with this post 07-15-2012 at 08:28 AM
aiMhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #48
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,932
My case just arrived and I poured, 2 fresh quarts into my wife's Honda XR250R and a new filter. This is an air cooled bike and I really like the idea of having this oil in the frame and engine with its very high flash point, etc.... Our bikes tend to get hot climbing the high mountain passes.

Next up will be a dump of the Mobil 1 that is in my Honda XR650R.....refilling with Monarch and a new filter.

OH YEAH.....my YZ426F is getting some as well.

Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #49
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Changed the oil and filter in my TE with it just the other day. 500-mile off road loop scheduled for this weekend. Will report back.
John_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #50
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_L View Post
Changed the oil and filter in my TE with it just the other day. 500-mile off road loop scheduled for this weekend. Will report back.
Sounds great John! Let us know what you think
Old 07-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #51
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Just some background information on the product since the name is not well known here. Actually Royal Mfg. makes base synthetic oils for other companies! It is not just in Mexico as stated below but the greater South America as well.

We are trying to get them to formulate a 10W40 full-synthetic PAO oil specifically created for Adventure Motorcyles that conform to the long-distance - high temperature requirements.

"We appreciate very much your great support on this great adventure!! I would like to tell you more about how we started. This is the story:

As you know, even though we have 100 years making lubricants, we are pretty new making motorcycle oils. It all started with a customer in Mexico and good friend of mine, who was distributing the spanish brand CEPSA in Mexico but wasn't happy with the service his master distributor was giving him plus the product was sent from Spain and took a long time for him to get those containers. We sell him engine oils and other products so he was aware of the excellent quality of our products so insisted like for 2 years to get motorcycle oils from us until Terry also talked to me about him having good opportunities for this new line.

We didn't know anything about this category so Terry and I did a little bit of market research about viscosities, prices, sizes, POP etc and decided to start with a 20W50 semi synthetic. Then the next tough decision was the type of chemistry we wanted to use. I look back and remember how difficult it was at the beginning to make those decisions.

We sent our first run to Mexico, not sure of what was going to happen and how good the market was going to accept our product, specially the packaging, since our quart bottles are pretty simple and not as fancy as the european brands.

The way Royal started in Mexico was slow and not easy. Not a single auto-part store wanted to add another brand to their catalog specially one they have not heard of before. Roberto asked his people to go door to door to local/private motorcycle garages, asking them to try this new brand on their own bikes. Kind of the same way you got on board. They tried it and really liked it. Most of them have told us they noticed the difference almost immediately. Since they liked the product they started recommending it to their customers, and the rest was just mouth to mouth. At that point there was a need to include also a full synthetic product, there is when we introduced the 15W50 Supersyn, and from there on, our sales there have doubled every year.

We are getting into a very strong position in the market selling to auto part stores, motorcycle stores, ATV stores, etc.We have sold there, around 60,000 bottles in 2 years!!! And now, auto-part stores all over Mexico call our distributor there asking for Royal.

About 4 months ago we started selling to ROGMAR a very big motorcycle wholesale part distributor in Mexico, where started competing with MOTUL, CEPSA, BELRAY and a local brand. As today, they decided to go exclusively with Royal and the local brand, so we are anticipating even more growth by the end of the year when the full transition is completed.

I have visited my self some of those stores and let me tell you, it feels pretty good when they don't stop complimenting our product and preferring it over other well stablished brands they used to have.

Thanks again for your support, we want grow this category so any feedback is always welcome.

Best Regards and have a wonderful day,

Xavier Carrillo
International Sales and Marketing
Royal MFG Co"

aiMhi screwed with this post 07-15-2012 at 08:30 AM
Old 07-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #52
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Back from my trip. Oil has approximately 350 miles on it. Haven't drained it yet but from what little just riding tells it seemed to do the job fine. Still have trouble getting into Neutral when the bike gets hot but that has been the whole life of the bike regardless of oil. Shifting otherwise seemed precise much as it has with other oils when new and still does. Gotta put some more time on it the oil but just from this experience it seems like a great deal. Nothing much of use in this post but I said I would post up.
John_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #53
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Interesting

Your oil sound very interesting and have enjoyed reading about it and what the users are saying. I have a 6 month old BMW 1200 GSA that I am thinking about using the oil in. I will have to check with the dealer to see if the warranty ok using your oil. I would think so but don't wan to loose the warranty. Need to wait till the rings seat a little more before changing oils. It is using just a little, even though it is getting close to 5K miles.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #54
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by arraflipper View Post
Your oil sound very interesting and have enjoyed reading about it and what the users are saying. I have a 6 month old BMW 1200 GSA that I am thinking about using the oil in. I will have to check with the dealer to see if the warranty ok using your oil. I would think so but don't wan to loose the warranty. Need to wait till the rings seat a little more before changing oils. It is using just a little, even though it is getting close to 5K miles.
Araflipper - Thanks for the comments. I do this because I like the product and did not believe in having to pay $12 for a quart of synthetic oil that goes to a billion $ company. Obviously at what we are selling it for there is a slim margin on this product and no it does not cover my time, not even close but this has been fun I have to say. Heck maybe we can send a team to Baja and have some real fun! I can dream right?

We recommend to stay with your mfg recommendations. If we can help you or your dealer with any questions please let us know ok. I have tried to disclose all the facts, cerftification data and VOA's about the oil and hope this helps with your decision.

Bern

aiMhi screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 06:59 PM
Old 07-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #55
NorCal Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
added a sight tube to the XRR & filled it with the synthetic oil today

i've been in the process of adding a bunch of aftermarket parts, & have finished this go-round today

put close to a 60 mile shake down, bikes running smooth
NorCal Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #56
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Thank you !!

I wanted to thank everyone for their support!

As promised I send 5% of the total sales to COHVCO.org. I was just able to send a 2nd donation check to the Directors of COHVCO for use in the fight of keeping trails open in the Rocky Mountain region and the TPA. Every penny counts.

Thank you,
Bern

aiMhi screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 06:57 PM
Old 08-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #57
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Exciting news!

I have some exciting news to report!!!

The people have spoken: As the result of many requests and a market demand for a "real" Premium Full-Synthetic 10W40 motorcycle oil we have successfully motivated Royal Mfg. to formulate a high-quality product to compete against the best out there at a discount price, not discounted quality!

In short this means we start with the same high-quality true Class 4 PAO base and add full synthetic Class 3 oil and a balanced high-ranking additive package to match and beat the best for less.

It is in the lab now and hoping to have the first batch for testing in the next couple weeks. No specific release date yet, there is alot involved here including thorough lab, real-life testing and certification.

This will be a product designed for Adventure Riders, by Adventure Riders

Stay tuned

aiMhi screwed with this post 06-07-2014 at 07:28 AM
Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #58
SikDMAX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Sounds great! I have a shop and would be interested in using this oil as my house oil for service work - can you PM me some pricing information on bulk purchases, etc? Located in California for shipping. Thanks
Old 08-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #59
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikDMAX View Post
Sounds great! I have a shop and would be interested in using this oil as my house oil for service work - can you PM me some pricing information on bulk purchases, etc? Located in California for shipping. Thanks

Hey Matt - Thanks for the inquiry, I will PM you.

Thanks,
Bern
Old 08-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #60
SikDMAX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Got the PM... no email yet....