User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #946
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Cop almost got hit

Motor cop pulls into the intersection to stop cross traffic for a motorcade of about 4 cars. Cop raises his right hand to stop traffic, a truck blows straight through the intesection, right at the cop! Cop throttles it forward and the truck barely misses the cop. I though he was hit! Needless to say the cop was furious and pulled the guy over...Scary. Watched the whole thing while I waited for the light. Reminded me of that youtube video in the EU where a cop pulls into traffic to halt it for an ambulance merging onto the highway.
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #947
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Went by the goose pond today and right where I dodged the geese yesterday was a dead one on the shoulder. They are pretty seriously large birds and I'm not sure that DakeZ's advice not to dodge them would be correct. Hit one of those on a bike and it might not be pretty.

I was passing by a big race track that just let out and there was a rent-a-cop stopping traffic so pedestrians could cross the road and the car ahead of me just wouldn't stop. He eased right up to the cop who was waving and pointing and the car just gradually pushed the cop back up the road with him protesting and blowing his whistle until the car just pushed him to one side and took off.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #948
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander View Post
Since when did prey animals begin to believe that they were intimidating? At least deer continue to show appropriate fear. ;)
Ever seen a skunk show fear?
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:57 AM   #949
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
Ever seen a skunk show fear?
Yep! They will run as a first defence, spray as a second.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #950
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Yep! They will run as a first defence, spray as a second.
Haven't seen one run.

I've had to wait for 'em on my motorcycle and mountain bike.

On the motorcycle I've had to stop on a narrow path in my backyard until one approached from the front, sniffed and moved on.

I remember being on a downhill fireroad on the mountain bikes and a skunk at the side of the trail slowly turned around to point its rear our way like it had all the time in the world. Then casually sauntered off.

Never seen one move like it was in a hurry. I do see a lot as road kill however.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #951
Marylander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
So, this made me curious, just who is a skunk prey for? Turns out it's mainly the great horned owl, which doesn't have much of a sense of smell. I've seen some monster sized owls while out running on the trail so this is kind of cool to know... Skunks have mostly trained predators on foot not to mess with them. I don't think a skunk so much looks at us as predators.

I still maintain that modern people have taught geese that they are our masters and that's ridiculous. Back on the topic of bikes I have dodged a bunch of geese that went flying into the path of a few tour buses on the highway resulting in dead geese shooting past my head while going 70mph. Scary!
Marylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #952
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander View Post

I still maintain that modern people have taught geese that they are our masters and that's ridiculous. Back on the topic of bikes I have dodged a bunch of geese that went flying into the path of a few tour buses on the highway resulting in dead geese shooting past my head while going 70mph. Scary!
You could be very right. We think ans see a similar thing with Snook and spearfishing since they are a protected species (not allowed to spear them, but are allowed to fish for them in slot-sizes). Of the many fish in the ocean, they are one of the few who have no fear of divers being close-by. It's been said more than once that we've trained them to not be afraid. Crazy.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #953
jonesy792
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Last year when I still had my ninja 250 and a 250mi/day commute I had my worst road rage encounter.

I was riding through a construction zone on the interstate with pretty slow traffic in the right lane when a cop passes me in the left lane going quite a bit faster than the posted limit. Not one to pass up an opportunity I hopped on his tail (maintaining a safe distance) and enjoyed zipping by all the slow traffic in the right lane. Not long after I get behind the cop this a-hole in a giant SUV pulls up behind me and proceeds to see how close he can get to my rear wheel. I look back every once in a while to try to get him to back off but he tailgates me an inch from my rear wheel several miles until we get through the construction zone.

Once traffic eases up the cop I had been following pulls over to the right and slows waaaay down leaving me no option but to pass him. As soon as the SUV guy had passed the cop he cuts him off, guns it, passes me on the right, cuts me off and emergency brakes right in front of me (and no he had no plausable reason to do this other than trying to run me off the road) leaving me no choice but to evade him toward the center median trying hard to stay on the pavement.

The cop saw all of this and pulled him over right away, one of the only times I've been glad to see a cop.
jonesy792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #954
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,102
Sounds like the cop was looking out for you. Probably saw the SUV actling stupid in his mirrors and figured that he had an easy tag.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #955
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
In the parking lot at CVS I saw a Harley Pull up. Rider had on no helmet, no gear. Granted it was 100F outside, but sill I always gear up. Anyhow, a little boy steps off the passenger seat, about 7 years old only wearing a full face helmet, but in shorts and sleeveless t-shirt and sandals..Come on!? This just doesn't seem right to me...
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #956
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
Almost got SMDSY'd today by dump truck. Luckily a bit of situational awareness and my air horn saved me from becoming the new Bull Dog on the front of that Mack truck. Gotto be careful out there, commuting can be hazardous.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #957
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,824
No new stories for me (not that I have had many). Up north people stop riding for the winter, I stop riding about mid-July through late-August. When I can't get to work in the early mornings without sweating profusely, it is time to hang it up. No employee shower, and work requires me to be sanitary... I'll still ride in some, and in the late evenings when running errands. Just not to work for the next couple of weeks. Much easier to stay warm than to stay cool
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #958
MikePike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Toodling down the back way to work today. There is a nice 4 way intersection I stop at the light in the left lane and sit waiting for the light. Up pulls a nice new camaro convertible with a 20 something dude in what looks like the poster boy outfit for young salesman (white collar on a blue shirt with a tie). He looks over and starts revving his engine.

I just ignore it and wait for the light. The light changes and I wait a second because I know he is going to gun it and have to whip into my lane because it merges about 400 yards ahead and I have the added benefit of no one behind me. It's too early for this crap I think. All I hear is his car revving heavy and can imagine the embarrassed look as he forgot to take the darn thing out of neutral when the light goes green so I proceed to go and then hear the revving stop and look in my mirror. He stalled his camaro...

He did manage to catch up about 12+ miles later on the on ramp to the interstate. Where he proceeded to merge early behind me screaming tires... in front of the MoCo Sheriff Deputy car... who proceeeded to light him up

My thought was "yep you're having a BAD morning"
MikePike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #959
King_Panther13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Heading down my neighborhood street, and I see an SUV waiting at a stop sign about two blocks ahead on my left. He sits perfectly still, until I'm maybe about half a block away, and proceeds to turn right in front of me. I lay on my horn, annoyed I have to slow down for some idiot who just *has* to be in front of me. What's the idiot do? Swerve into the oncoming lane, and motion for me to pass him on the right. Ffs. Did you REALLY need to be on the road that bad?
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #960
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
I was traveling home on a 2 lane country road with a lot of curves and a speed limit of 45mph. I was on my DR650, there was a cruiser in front of me and my wife in her car in front of him. The problem was that there was 2 kids on scooters slowing everyone down to 30mph and no way my wife could pass them due to all the curves. Suddenly, the two scooters pulled onto the shoulder of the road at a intersection, my wife passed them, the cruiser turned left at the intersection but I hesitated due to the fact of how squirrely the two scooter kids were riding. Well, I'm glad I waited because the first scooter kid shot across the road without looking and that is where I would have been if I hadn't waited. There is a lot of scooters on the road these days and they do act a lot like squirrels unpredictable!
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote