Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #151
Scooterchick
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
If I ever rode alone; (which I probably would not), I would definately consider the mace...ha
"Ride It Like You Stole It!"
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #152
Scootard
Scraggle McSquarely

Oddometer: 240
Spontaneity

Sometimes the roads which present themselves, are interesting side tracks which lead to interesting places.
We took a wrong turn which turned out to be a fantastic road which led us to where we were going anyway.
Viva la ride!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #153
Banshee
hi

Oddometer: 6,138
excellent writing and pics, really enjoying this.
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #154
Scootard
Scraggle McSquarely

Oddometer: 240
Laugh

I noticed my beloved's post about the mace. I would think a long club with a heavy iron ball at the end might slow her down, but I am not interested in being on the business end!!!

I find you can size up the people on the road pretty easily. Riding seems to tune your senses to the point where you can easily identify civilians, flakes and miscreants. As riders I think we can steer ourselves out of trouble faster than those with evil intentions can lure us in.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #155
De Eee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Great story and adventure, I love your style!
De Eee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #156
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,245
So glad you made Usal Beach and the Lost Coast, it must be seen at least once in a lifetime.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #157
erockmapquest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Pretty cool ride so far.

erockmapquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #158
Scooterchick
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
"Ride It Like You Stole It!"
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #159
breakouttathemould
rather be ridin

Oddometer: 5
Talking

+1 more enjoyin the RR from 5000+ mi away

Need another fix soon!

Take care

Mike
breakouttathemould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #160
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,712
Your pics, writing, dialog with your followers, all of it is top notch, I rate it 5 stars. Great stuff, great adventure.

This pic is worthy of the front page.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #161
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Bus and Ride - Gold Beach to Portland (May 9th)

The day was a bit chilly and overcast at first. I took the time to heat up a can of soup for breakfast, and was joined by a new friend:

I packed up and headed out around noonish. Someday I will get better at early starts! I made my way back along Jerry Flats, which was a bit busier this time of day. I saw a couple of deer, which inspired me to take my time and pay more attention, which I didn't mind at all, there were some gorgeous views that I wasn't able to admire as well the previous evening.

Jerry Flats

I got to the 101, and headed north again. It was WINDY AS HELL! There were multiple times during this stretch where I had to scrunch myself down as low as I possibly could get on the bike, in a vain attempt to reduce my profile and wind resistance. There was more than once where I was taking a corner at speed and the wind nearly blew me into the next lane. Bridges, especially, became my bane and I chugged along at 55 across the worst of them. The scenery was still gorgeous, and the day was clear and sunny.

With some of the techniques I learned while chasing the boys around, I pushed myself to take corners more quickly. The 101 is far more gentle than Highway 1 was, down in California, and I found myself able to take corners above the posted corner limit. I paid more attention to my lines/braking and felt a lot more control at higher speeds, which was quite nice. The rear tire, nearly bald now except for these huge "chicken nuggets" on either side, would thump along and lose a bit of traction if I tried to turn too tightly, so I had to be careful, but it was great fun to be able to zip along where I normally would have struggled.

I believe the interpretive sign said that the triangle-shaped area was clam or mussel farming.

The wind was very exhausting, and the bike didn't like it either. My gas mileage for this leg of the trip was terrible, 46 or so where normally I'd gotten 50+. I looked at the time left in the day and evaluated my options - I could stay out another night and find somewhere to camp, or I could haul ass and make it back to Portland and a nice warm bed.

My decision made, I headed east from Florence along Highway 126. This was a route I'd been on a number of times when I lived in Eugene, but I'd never come this way on a bike before. As soon as the landscape changed from coastal forest to the wet, breathing oregon rainforest I was used to, I felt like I was coming home. I don't really have much of a home, I move around a lot, but I'd spent 3 years of my life in Eugene, and heading back this way brought back a lot of random memories.

As I stopped to take photos, I found Waldo and a couple of tiny trickling waterfalls as a reward for taking a moment to appreciate my surroundings.

Cruising through Eugene, I noticed that even after I'd been elsewhere for years, I still remembered my way around. I headed up the 5 toward Portland and burned through the slab miles as fast as I felt comfortable going. I wanted to get to Portland before it got dark, and it was starting to get dusk already. Still sore from the dirt adventure the other day, I had to stop a bit more often to stretch out.

With the last rays of sunlight, I made it back to my boyfriend's place, whom I hadn't seen in over a month. Yay! For the past several months, he had been riding my Honda Rebel as both of his bikes were inoperable. He's a fairly tall guy, and his knees were over the gas tank. Parking lots were a nightmare for him, because the handlebars would hit his knees.

Oh, and remember what I said about the learning curve being steep on the taller bike? The DR is REALLY TALL compared to the short little Rebel. Originally I had thought about lowering it when I got back to Portland, but with this many miles with it under my belt, I'd grown used to the height and found the Rebel nearly impossible to ride!

I got inside and found that things had gone to hell without me there to clean up...

Not pictured: my sanity.

...so instead of relaxing, I spent the next day cleaning instead. Hooray!

Feyala screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 07:37 PM Reason: Colors
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #162
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchick View Post
I hear you about not letting the fear one some freak incident get to you. We would all stay home and never go anywhere at all if we were ruled like that!
Definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
I find that most people that ride, are friendly and helpful. Sometimes it's nice to have companions, and sometimes solitude, a mixture of dependence and independence. I love your style and you are braver than me
Yeah, a mix is definitely nice. I don't take as many photos when I am with others for fear of slowing them down (almost everybody is in a bigger hurry than I am), but the company is welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Sometimes the roads which present themselves, are interesting side tracks which lead to interesting places.
We took a wrong turn which turned out to be a fantastic road which led us to where we were going anyway.
Viva la ride!
I saw a quote on here somewhere, along the lines of "You're not lost until you're out of gas", which I have tried to take to heart. Spontaneity yields some awesome rewards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
excellent writing and pics, really enjoying this.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
I noticed my beloved's post about the mace. I would think a long club with a heavy iron ball at the end might slow her down, but I am not interested in being on the business end!!!

I find you can size up the people on the road pretty easily. Riding seems to tune your senses to the point where you can easily identify civilians, flakes and miscreants. As riders I think we can steer ourselves out of trouble faster than those with evil intentions can lure us in.
I'd tend to agree. I know that some people have difficulty sensing 'intent' or whatever, but it's never really been a problem for me. If in doubt, watch how the person in question treats others, and always assume they'll do the same to you in the right circumstances. Then determine if their company is worth making sure you don't ever find yourself in those circumstances. It's not perfect, but it's a pretty good gauge.

As for the ball-and-chain mace, well... it sure would have a better "deterrent effect" than the spray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Eee View Post
Great story and adventure, I love your style!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
So glad you made Usal Beach and the Lost Coast, it must be seen at least once in a lifetime.
I blame you for getting me into this mess! That is to say, thanks for the advice! I'll be back eventually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakouttathemould View Post
+1 more enjoyin the RR from 5000+ mi away

Need another fix soon!
Happy to oblige! They'll get less frequent once I bring this thing up to date, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
Your pics, writing, dialog with your followers, all of it is top notch, I rate it 5 stars. Great stuff, great adventure.

This pic is worthy of the front page.
Awww, thanks! I don't think it's front page worthy though, too grainy! Someday I'll get a proper DSLR.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #163
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,245
Chicken nuggets.

Where are you taking us next?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #164
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Chicken nuggets.

Where are you taking us next?
I don't know what else you'd call a tire with no tread except on the outside, and with ex-knobbies, they aren't really strips...

I am happy to be done with the bus and ride part of the story! Now at least it's within the last month and change! SOMEWHAT CURRENT!

Next: Hells Canyon (more dirt!), Idaho, Washington, and bike maintenance. Still a few posts to go...
Old 07-19-2012, 02:44 AM   #165
G-Wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Thumb Fun!

I'm in! I'm in! It's almost 2 in the morning and I gotta get some sleep; but what fun this is to read. See you tomorrow Feyala!
"Excellent, there was a big one coming up ‘Cheap petrol in hell’, that really got me pondering, until I got a little closer and realised the ‘S’ had dropped off the sign advertising the Shell servo in Norseman. Shame really, it was a thought-provoking slogan." - Katie em
G-Wing is offline   Reply With Quote